Chapter 53

Im spending the afternoon alone taking in the last few days. I went back to the hut for a while after speaking to Tsireya and now I'm sitting at the rock pools dipping my feet in. The small fish circle round my feet as I swish them through the water. The sun is reflecting on the water surface and twinkling.

"Y/n?" I hear behind me.

I turn and see Neteyam standing there. I smile widely at him, just seeing him makes my day so much better. But i'm met with a forced smile back. He sits next to me and puts a hand on my leg.

"What happened earlier? Why did you leave?" he questions me.

"Oh I just needed some alone time is all, i'm fine" I lie and smile to reassure him.

"Are you sure? You seemed pretty upset?" he says.

"Yeah i'm all good" I say.

He sighs.

"Okay if you say so" he replies.

*Neteyam POV*

How do I get her to tell me? I don't want to get Tsireya in trouble but that's looking like my only option right now to get her to talk to me.

Ive got an idea.

"I was surprised to see Spider today, he's been in the hut pretty much since we bought him home after everything happened, he seemed upset" I start.

Just hearing his name make her tense up.

"Why would he be upset, he doesn't know me" she says with a gritted smile.

"I don't know" I reply.

She sighs.

Well that didn't work. But it did confirm what Tsireya told me is true, the way she tensed up at his name was not normal.

She doesn't want to hurt Lo'ak so maybe if I speak to him first and convince him she will talk to him, they do get along like brother and sister.

After some small talk I excuse myself.

"Well I got to go do some stuff so ill see you later?" I say.

"Sure" she replies and I lean in to kiss her goodbye.

I walk away and head to the beach where I last saw Lo'ak. When I get there I see all the others, Aonung, Kiri, Rotxo, Tuk and Tsireya sitting nearby still looking down.

"Hey have you guys seen Lo'ak?" I ask.

I get a chorus of "No" and then Kiri says "I think I saw him heading back to the hut"

I nod and start to walk towards the hut. Tsireya watches me as I walk away and I avoid eye contact.

I get to the hut and see Lo'ak sitting outside on his own. I sit next to him and ask where Spider is. Lo'ak says he is inside the hut.

"Can we go talk? Somewhere quiet?" I ask him quietly.

"Sure bro" he says and we make our way to the training ground.

We get there and Lo'ak says "So what's up bro?"

I sigh and say "Has Spider said much to you since we have been back?"

"No, he seems worried every time we leave the hut" Lo'ak says.

"Did you find y/n earlier? Was she okay?" Lo'ak asks me.