Chapter 49

*Neteyam POV*

I wake up this morning and decide I need to spend time with y/n, taking in the loss and accepting it. Last night, that bonfire, it really helped me. It showed me how important my friends will be the next few days/weeks/years while we all grieve.

I walk out the hut and head to y/n's hut. I walk in and the sight of her laying there hits me. I take a deep breath and sit next to her body. I hold her hand and tell her about last night and the memories we shared of her.

"You would have loved it y/n" I whisper to her as I choke on my words and hold back tears.

Tsireya and Ronal walk into the hut with sad expressions.

"We need to prepare her now Neteyam" Ronal says.

Tsireya pulls a sad face at me and hides her face as a tear races down her cheek.

It's getting too real now. She will be gone tomorrow.

*Tsireya POV*

Neteyam walks past me and wipes a tear from his cheek as he leaves the hut.

Mother hands me a basket of different items and motions for me to follow her to y/n's body.

"First we style her, it is tradition to style them to look beautiful and at peace" mother says.

I move straight to her hair and work on it, I do her favourite hairstyle which was the one I did on her birthday, I take my time hiding small braids throughout her curls. I add pearls to each braid and add her flower crown Tuk made her on her head.

While mother wraps y/n up with large green leaves and binds her hands and feet I add her favourite piece of jewellery, her shell necklace from Neteyam.

After a few hours we are done and she looks so beautiful and peaceful. She is in a hunched up position and looks like she's just sleeping. Her hair looks beautiful and small curls fall onto her face.

Mother lets out a huge sigh and we hug.

I walk out the hut and to the beach, I walk along the shore and Lo'ak walks past me.

"Hey Tsireya, Neteyam looks like he could use some company" and runs down the beach. Strange boy. I continue walking until I see Neteyam and sit next to him. We just sit and look out at the ocean. Like a conversation with no words. It is comforting.

*Lo'ak POV*

I woke up this morning and needed a swim. Tomorrow is the day. Everything I do reminds me of y/n. I ride through the water and keep going until I arrive at the spirit tree. I climb off my ilu and swim down.

I wonder?

I connect my tsaheylu and close my eyes.

I wake up and i'm on the beach y/n was born.

I run to the hut she showed me and feel a punching feeling in my gut when I see it is empty. I sigh and turn round to be met by y/n's parents.

"Hello Lo'ak" her mother says.

"Erm, hi" I say nervously.

"She's not here" her father says.

"Is it because she hasn't been sent to eywa yet?" I question.

"Yes child" her mother says.

"Im sorry I couldn't save her, I wish she would just come back" I say with a broken voice.

"Only those who wonder find a path to their desires" her mother says.

I look puzzled.

"Eywa works in magical ways, some of us are more connected than others" her father adds.

I don't get it?

I blink and when I open my eyes i'm back in the water.

I swim to the surface.

Only those who wonder find a path to their desires? Eywa works in magical ways, some of us are more connected than others? Desires? Paths? Connected?

I call my ilu and swim back to the village, I get to the beach and start to walk and think.

Path to desires? Eywa works in magical ways? Some of us more connected than others? Connected? Eywa?

KIRI

I run to the family hut to see where she is. I get there and she is sitting outside and fish are surrounding her feet in the water. I sit next to her. She looks at me confused. I catch my breath.

"Kiri, I went to the spirit tree earlier, I saw y/n's parents and they told me 'only those who wonder find a path to their desires and eywa works in magical ways, some of us are more connected than others' when I said I wanted y/n to come back. I think they were trying to tell me there's a way to bring her back" I say.

"Oh Lo'ak, I know you miss her but you're getting your hopes up brother" she sighs.

"Kiri, I think it is you, I think you can get her back" I say hopefully.

"How?" kiri questions me.

"I don't know, but we need to find out before y/n gets sent to eywa tomorrow, then it will be too late" I hurry her up. I tell her to go to y/n's hut and i'll make sure the coast is clear.

Kiri heads to the hut and I run down the beach to check where everyone is and make sure they won't come in. I see Neteyam sitting in his and y/n's spot on the sand and I know he won't be moving for a while. I see Tsireya, she may be a problem.

"Neteyam looks like he could use some company" I say as I run past her.

Problem solved.

Everyone else is preparing for the funeral.

I head back to Kiri. She is sitting next to y/n. I walk over and y/n looks so peaceful, so beautiful. I stroke her cheek then turn my attention to Kiri.

"I remember grandma telling me the story about my mother and they tried to save her when she was wounded, I think I remember the process" Kiri explains.

We hear footsteps outside.

"When everyone is asleep we will sneak out, we need to take y/n's body to the spirit tree" Kiri says.

I nod and agree.

Tonowari walks in and we stand up.

"You are not meant to be here, she has been prepared for tomorrow, leave" he says.

"Yes sir" we say and scurry out the hut.