Chapter 23

I wake up and the girls start stirring awake too.

"Morning y/n" Kiri says.

"Morning" I reply.

"Sooo.. what are we going to do today?" Tsireya asks awkwardly.

"Avoid boys and have a girls day!" I reply optimistically.

They smile and nod. We all freshen up and leave the hut to enjoy the day. We are chilling on the beach, laughing and gossiping and then Kiri lets out a small "Oh no"

"Y/n can we talk?" Aonung asks me. I huff and follow him reluctantly. I look back to the girls who are pulling the fakest forced smiles i've ever seen.

"I'm sorry for upsetting you last night, you were having so much fun with Rowari and I knew it was Neteyam that had upset you yesterday so when I saw him coming over I didn't want him to ruin your mood and to see you upset... but it happened anyway because of me" he says .

"I appreciate you looking out for me Aonung, you are a good brother. You had good intentions and to be honest... your advice worked" I laugh "Seeing me with Rowari obviously bothered Neteyam. Serves himself right for being with that other girl"

He smiles and opens his arms for a hug which I accept. He joins me and the girls on the beach for a while and then leaves to find Rotxo.

We decide to chill in the hut for a while and do each others hair and make flower crowns. We are in the middle of making them and we hear "Y/n?" outside the hut.

"What?" I groan.

"Can I steal you bro? Only for a minute" Lo'ak asks.

I get up and leave the hut, we sit on the panels that connect the huts and he starts.

"I wanted to see how you were after last night. Things got a little ... crazy."

"I don't understand what happened or why Lo'ak" I say in frustration.

"Y/n we barely saw you yesterday since that dude came. You are so important to me and I felt like i'd just been dropped for him" he explains.

"Lo'ak he is my childhood best friend, how do you expect me to act round him?"

"I don't know, I guess I was scared you'd leave me..." he says as he gets choked up.

"Oh Lo'ak" I say and I hug him from the side.

"Nothing will change what we have been through together. You are my best friend and I think you and Rowari will get along... well would have got along. Maybe not now."

He lets out a small laugh and then says "I'm sorry for my involvement, the last thing I wanted to do was upset you"

I continue to hug him and then say in a joking manner "Okay get lost now, i'm having a girls day!"

He laughs and walks away.

I go back to the girls and fill them in while we finish our flower crowns. Tuk joins us mid way through and makes a cute little pink and purple flower crown. Kiri makes a green and orange one. Tsireya's is red, white and pink and then mine is a beautiful mix of blue, teal and yellow. We wear them on our way to go fish spotting in the rock pools nearby and we get interrupted again.

"Y/n wanna talk?" Rowari says.

"Not really but fine" I sigh and tell the girls i'll be back in a minute.

"What was that guys deal last night? They were proper giving us grief" he starts.

I look at him with an annoyed look.

"What? Are you mad at me? I know you were upset but at me?" he says taken back.

"You called my friends freaks" I say coldly.

"They're your friends? Well I didn't know that and they aren't very good friends if they're ruining your night like they did" he suggests.

"They were there for me when you weren't Rowari, you've been gone a while and a lot has changed since, including me" I reply.

"I had a nice time last night Rowari, you bring out a better version of myself, but that really upset me how you acted towards my friends" I say.

"Well i'm sorry for upsetting you but they started on Aonung and me and you both know I don't back down from a fight, especially when it comes to you..."

"I meant it when I said I really missed you y/n" he continues.

"I missed you too but you need to realise that things have changed and get used to them. They are important to me. End of" I say.

He nods and says "Okay i'll try for you. i'll do anything for you y/n. I never thought you could get any prettier when we were younger and I was wrong."

I just smile and turn to leave. He sighs and walks the other way.

I walk to the rock pools to join the girls again.

"So what did he say?" Kiri asked.

I explain the whole conversation to them and Tsireys speaks up.

"Y/n it sounds like he still likes you"

"What do you mean still likes me?" I laugh in response.

"Y/n he clearly liked you when we were younger, everyone could see it, and even after all this time it seems like he still does."

"Oh... I didn't know" I say.

"Well lets not think about that right now, shall we swim?" Tsireya suggests.

Me and kiri both agree and we all walk to the water and dive in. Me and Tsireya are watching Kiri do unexplainable things in the reef. She's making the fish move without touching them, she's breathing underwater like one of us. I truly believe she has some sort of connection to eywa. After a while we swim to the surface and go to sit on the bridge in the village to watch the sunset.

Its so beautiful and peaceful.

"Y/n? Can we go for a walk?"

I sigh, peace over. I get up and walk past Neteyam and he follows.