Chapter 69

* A week later*

I wake up before Neteyam again and slip out before he can catch me. I've spent the last week avoiding everyone as much as I can. I don't know how to tell anyone or how they're going to react. Will they be happy? Sad? Mad? Disappointed? I'm too scared to find out.

I walk to the equipment dock and call mu ilu. I put on her harness and climb on, she dives into the water and we take a gentle ride along the sea bed. The fish approach me and circle round my belly making me smile. Is that what those fish were doing when I went riding with lo'ak to spirit tree that one day? They can sense the baby? That's the first time I have referred to them as being a baby. My ilu speeds sway and hides behind a rock. Whats wrong girl? I sign to her. She nods her head behind the rock and I peep round to see Neteyam and everyone riding round looking for something. I'm assuming me?

I hide behind the rock and then when the coast is clear I ride my ilu up further out into the water. I find a large rock above the surface and ride up to it and climb on. I sit on the rock and look out at the beautiful ocean round me.

"You will love it here" I speak to my belly.

I pull out the photo and analyse it intensely. How can something so small have such a big impact on someones life. I put it away.

I watch flocks of birds fly in the sky and pods of fish swim by happily. So peaceful.

"Y/n are you there" someone calls into the earpiece I was given for my birthday, Neteyam.

"Y/n where are you?" Lo'ak asks next.

I ignore them and continue to enjoy the beauty and life round me. After about an hour I hear a splash behind me and sense eyes watching me. I turn and see Aonung standing there. He sits next to me and smiles.

"You hiding" he smiles.

"Nope, just having some me time" I smile.

"You've been having me time all week, no ones seen you" he jokes and nudges me.

"I guess I just needed it" I smile and look out at the shimmering water.

"What's wrong?" he asks me.

"Nothing i'm fine" I say putting on a fake smile.

"Hmmm, you know you can talk to me right?" he says.

"I know, I miss how close we used to be" I say looking at him.

"Me too" he says.

I smile and put my head on his shoulder and we watch the water together.

"You shouldn't be out here this far alone you know" he lectures me.

"I'm not alone, you're here" I say cheekily.

"Not now" he says laughing.

His presence makes me feel better. Me and him used to be best friends, inseparable, I guess it all changed once the Sully's arrived.

"I'm sorry we grew apart" I pipe up.

"It happens I guess, at least it was worth it, you got a mate out of it" he laughs.

I let out a little chuckle. If only he knew.

"Can we do something? Just us like before" I ask.

"What you thinking?" he asks.

"Hmmmm" I think.

"Lets go exploring" I suggest.

"Where?" he asks eyebrows raised.

"My home village" I smile.

"You know what I don't miss, you getting us into trouble!" he jokes making me laugh.

We call our ilus and I show him the way, we ride to the island and I climb off.

"Come, this way" I say and walk towards my parents hut.

We get there and it's still the same.

"This is where I was born" I tell him as he looks round the hut.

"This is cool y/n" he says while looking.

I walk out the hut and he follows me. I head into the trees and walk while looking at everything round me, the light shining through the trees, the flowers blooming through the ground, the droplets of water falling from the leaves above us. Beautiful. I turn round to see Aunong looking round in awe as well. We continue and I stop when I see some arrows in the trees round us.

"Aonung, this is where we fought the sky people" I say examining the arrows in the trees.

"No way" he says looking too.

I turn to carry on walking and trip over a big flower patch. I push myself up and look down to see it wasn't a flower patch, it's a skeleton that the environment has claimed.

"That's freaky" Aonung says looking closer at the skull.

"It's the sky people who attacked us" I say.

I step over them and continue walking through the trees. This is the furthest i've been on the island.

"Y/n we should head back, we're losing day light and we still need to ride back" Aonung says.

I nod and we start the walk back to the beach. We get there and connect our tsaheylus and start to ride back. We glide across the water surface not rushing to get back.

"Ive had fun today Aonung" I say to him.

"I have too, like the old times" he smiles.

"Can we do something again soon?" I ask.

"For sure" he smiles.

"Y/n are you okay? Tell us you're okay" Neteyam speaks through the earpiece.

"I'm fine" I speak through my neck piece then take it off sighing. Aonung looks at me but doesnt say anything knowing I wont tell him.

We get closer to the village and I start to slow my ilu down.

"Y/n you good?" Aonung asks.

"Yeah i'll be there in a bit" I say smiling.

"Are you sure? I can stay?" he offers.

"No it's fine, you head back" I smile.

He smiles and rides off to the shore.

I wait until its dark out and everyone is in their huts asleep to start to head back. I ride slowly to the loading dock and unharness my ilu. I say bye to her and start walking to the hut. I walk past the Sully's hut and hear talking inside.

"I'm worried bro" Neteyam says.

"Have we done something?" Lo'ak says.

I rush to our hut and lay down before anyone can see me.

A few minutes later Neteyam appears and stays still for a minute. Then he lays down next to me.

"Y/n?" he says gently.

I don't respond.

He sighs then kisses my head before going to sleep himself.