A Gift From Above.

Jada~

My phone wakes me up at the sound of someone calling me. I pat around the bed, forgetting Christian is gone. I reach for my phone that sat on the nightstand and answer it blindly.

It must be so early. "Hello?"

"Jada, it's 10:30 in Milwaukee. How are you still in bed?"

"No, it's not."

"Babe, I promise I'm not lying."

I look at my phone, squinting at the brightness. It's well past 10:30. "Are you still asleep because you don't feel good or because it's your mom's day?"

I look at the date, surprised that I forgot. I forgot. My mind is starting to forget. I never thought that would happen. 11 years later and I forgot. "I didn't even realize it. I'm just tired."

I roll onto my stomach as Scout gets on the bed. He lies next to me. He's probably starving.

I get out of bed and go to the kitchen so he can eat. "Is this what happens when you turn 30? Your back just hurts all the time."

"Welcome to your thirties."

I stretch out my back, trying to find some relief after putting Scout's bowl on the floor. "Do you come back tonight?"

"Yeah, that's why I was calling. I will hopefully be back before ten."

"Okay."

"Are you sure you're okay? You seem out of it."

"I'm still waking up. I'm fine."

"Okay. I'll see you later tonight. I love you."

"I love you too."

We hang up and I try to make myself a coffee to get some energy running through my body. "Scout, I want to lay on the couch all day. How does that sound?"

He tilts his head and looks at me. "Yeah? Okay. Sounds good."

I started not to feel the best after talking to Christian. I'm not entirely sure what it is but I can tell I feel different from yesterday.

Anytime I feel like crap, that prompts a pregnancy test just to be sure. I'm sure it's not this because why would that happen to us? I'm supposed to start the IUI treatments next week.

Those consist of self-administered shots into my stomach. I'm not excited about that. That's why I'm going to make Christian do it because I don't think I could give myself a shot every day for a couple of weeks.

Scout walks into the bathroom as I sat on the bathtub. He rests his head on my leg, "Are you here to comfort me because dad isn't here?"

I scratch his head just as my timer goes off. I kiss the top of his head, "Think good things, Scout."

I get up, flipping the test over. I do a double take as there are two clear lines. My hand shakes as I bring it closer to my face. Oh my god. Oh my god.

God, I wish Christian was here. I should probably take another one just to be sure.

I search the entirety of our bathroom vanity and I don't have a single unused test.

I leave the positive test on the counter and change into better clothes so I can look decent in public. I rush around the house, finding shoes, my keys, and my purse.

I drive way faster than I should've been on my way to Target. I rush into the store and grab the first box I see. I take a moment to stop. If I'm pregnant, I'm telling Christian tonight when he gets home. I never planned on whipping out a pregnancy test to tell him.