Greatest Impact On My Life.

October 2029 - Milwaukee
Jada~

"Tonight, a day where Christian Yelich played his final regular season game of his career, days before him and the team indulge in a playoff push, the ninth of his career here in Milwaukee," Craig Counsell starts as Christian sits next to me.

I hold his hand, "While I know Christian won't get up here and rave about how well he played with this team, I will gladly do it for him."

Everyone laughs, "On January 25th, 2018, Christian was traded to Milwaukee from the Miami Marlins where he was drafted. He went on to win an MVP that year and definitely should've won in 2019 however his season-ending injury left him in second place for that MVP. His career-high stats in both seasons were indescribable. His love for the game was subtle but known. In 2020, he signed his contract extension, making him a Brewer for life. He never once shied away from Milwaukee and the state of Wisconsin. He embraced the love and even the hate with his tenure here."

"While I know him personally and love the relationships we've built, I figured I'd let Jada, Christian's wife, do the rest of the talking."

Christian looks at me, confused that I'm going up to speak in front of 45,000+ fans. "What are you doing?"

"Just listen."

I take the microphone from Craig. I open up my notes app on my phone, "Christian is the definition of humble. He is the hardest-working person I know. We're in this cycle of get up, come to Am Fam, play a baseball game, go home. He doesn't take any of those days for granted even though they seem to repeat themselves quite often. It's been an absolute honor and delight to one, be his wife, and two, watch him play the game of baseball and love it every single day. I think most of us would agree that when we really like something, we may get tired of it and never do it again. However, Christian has loved this game since he was 5. He's now 37 and still loves the game of baseball even though it may have not always loved him."

"I stand here in front of 45,000+ fans, friends, and family, thanking you for never giving up on him even when it was rough. I thank you for being so kind to our family, so welcoming to us. I thank you for the support you've shown to not only Christian but the entire team. His accomplishments on and off the field don't even scratch the surface of who he actually is. With foundational work, giving back to the community, and just genuine love for the city and state. MVP, Silver Slugger, Gold Glover, on the field and when delivering our son, NLCS MVP, World Series MVP, and World Series Champ. What a résumé you have."

"We've been married for almost six years, we have two beautiful kids, and a dog who thinks he's still a puppy."

I turn to him, "I'm so thankful to have not only marry you but to have just met you. Truly, I got the whole package with you. I couldn't imagine my life without you or our kids. You have easily made the greatest impact on my life and what better to do it in my hometown? After all, you did promise me a World Series for Milwaukee and you delivered. Me and the kids are so proud of who you've become, what you've done, and who you are. We love you more than words can describe and I am so thankful we found our way back to each other. You are my favorite player. You're the best dad and husband. We are so lucky to have you. We love you."

I leave the microphone with Craig as I go back to him. Christian hugs me before we kiss, "I love you."

"We have one more thing for you."

Craig lets me take charge as Mark Attansio joins us as well. "Christian, it's my great honor to be able to finally tell you that without any hesitation, myself and the front office have been working together in order for your number to be retired for the Milwaukee Brewers. While it was no question that this would happen, I knew it needed to happen as soon as possible. Your number will sit next to former teammate and 'big brother' Ryan Braun's number. You've earned it. You've earned this moment. Sophia and the media team have put together the best highlight reel I've ever seen with on and off-the-field highlights of your time here in Milwaukee."