Lucky To Have You.

Jada~

"I don't want you to have to go through this again," I tell my dad as we sit outside.

"I know. It's been a lot to take in. We don't find out anything until tomorrow."

"I won't lie to you and tell you that I'm not hurt by the news because all it does is remind me of Mom. I hate that because I don't want the kids to experience this. You know I wouldn't wish this on anybody."

"Lizzie is a lot like you because she's hiding it really well. You hid a lot of your emotions while your mom was going through this. I know that now because of how fast you left. But they're sticking together, both of them. I don't want to prepare them for the worst if the worst isn't going to happen. But they're adults and it's something that they're going to have to learn to handle."

"I worry about them more than I should."

"I know. How's Christian taking this?"

"He's more worried about me than anything. He knows everything and we talk about it often."

"Does he ever ask about your mom?"

"Yeah."

"What do you tell him?"

"All the good stuff. How she cared about everyone around her more than herself. How she was a super mom even with one kid."

"And the bad stuff?"

"I told him everything years ago. He's known since 2018 about all that."

"2018?" he asks, surprised.

"I embarrassingly was crying on the rooftop of The Westin when I first came back after five years and he found me up there."

"That is pretty embarrassing."

"Thank you, Dad. I appreciate it."

"Hey, I gotta keep you on your toes, J."

"I think Adelaine does a great job of that."

"Babies always do. I should get going and get home."

"Will you keep us updated?"

"Of course. I'll call you tomorrow after we find out."

We walk out to his car as Christian pulls into the driveway. He hugs me, "I love you. We'll be around if anyone needs anything."

"Okay, I love you too. I'll call as soon as we know."

"I'll be waiting."

Christian stands next to me as my dad backs out of the driveway. "Anything new?"

"They find out tomorrow."

"How's he doing?"

"He's hiding it well and he wonders where I get that from. But I can tell he's reliving the entire experience in the worst way possible. I don't know what's going to happen if they come back with not good news."

"If," he tells me.

I nod and walk into the house. "Where's Addie?"

I show him the monitor, "Napping."

"She's even cute while she naps."

"I know, right? How was your game?"

"Pretty good. I think we're looking good right now."

"Good because you still owe me a World Series."

He laughs, "We're still on this?"

"We'll be on it until it happens."