The Gods Wood

The same gaurd who was ordered to strip me bare escorted both me and sandor to our new room. He pushed the door open for me and I was met with all of our things in a pile in the middle of the room. A lounge sitting infront of an unlit fireplace and a large bed.

Still without a thought I went and sat on the lounge, bringing my knees to my chest, never once looking at my husband. I sat for a long time just staring at the empty fireplace, the sun now replaced with the moon. Sandor had been moving things behind me but I never cared to look back.

"Come with me."

"Where?" I mumbled, my voice much smaller then I'd ever heard it.

"Just come."

I stood, now turning to see all of our things, neatly put away. No more chests or armor or jewelry strewn about, Just him. It hit me very suddenly that i was now trapped. I kept my things in trunks as if i would leave that very night but now, i was merely stuck. He offered me his hand which I didn't take. Sighing he opened the door and guided me through the empty halls, so far from the castle I could see the harbor.

"Where are we going?" I asked once again, now becoming fearful of the dark but he didn't answer. Instead electing to ignore me.

"We are here."

We stood infront of an old white stump. With furrowed eyebrows I looked up at him.
He pulled out a red ribbon and ushered me towards the stump.

"The gods wood, sit." He commanded.

He took my hands in his and wrapped them in ribbon carefully. I couldn't take my eyes off of his, even in the darkness they had a way about them that drew me in.

"Father, Smith, warrior, mother, maiden, crone, stranger. I am hers and she is mine from this day until the end of my days." His voice now gentler then before as he looked upon me.

He had a strange way about him and after a moment I realized he was nervous, anticipating mine own vows.

"Father, Smith, warrior, mother, maiden, crone, stranger. I am his and he is mine from this day until the end of my days." This time I did not mumble, or force myself to say the words. Merely the flowed out as if ment to.

I looked down at the gods wood and finally fully understood what had happened. He brought me here to marry me in the eyes of my gods.

"The gods can't see us sandor. They cut the gods wood down." I whispered, feeling a slight weight come off me.

He sighed, letting a slight blush cross his face.

"Aye, but you don't need eyes to hear."

I let tears fall from my eyes but this time not of sadness but of happiness. I did not love sandor and he didn't love me but still he brought me to my gods so they could hear our vows. Id hadn't been shown such kindness in the capital, and never did I expect it to come from him.

He stood, offering me his hand and this time I took it. I squeezed the ribbon in my other hand as we walked in peaceful silence back to our room. Before we entered into the castle he stopped me.

"I will not force you to do anything with me you do not wish to."

His kindness confused me but still I nodded and allowed him to guide me back to our room.