A Storm

Though it took some time I became brave enough to emerge from the cabin for more than just a meal. Qauren began teaching me the ways of the ship, what each rope did, every word he said ment. I began to take on a role on the ships as his shadow, always watching, always listening.

"The sky looks quite dark, don't you think?" I pointed out, staring at a sky so dark one might think it night.

"Aye, seems the tides disagree with us aswell." He huffed before calling out something in Turkish i couldn't understand.

"What do we do if we get caught by a storm? "  I mumbled, worry setting in as I looked out over the deck at the crew.

"We pray to the gods that we stay afloat." He shrugged, clearly trying to hide his worry.

I nodded along, staring out over the crashing waves below as small droplets of water began to drop down onto our heads.

Qauren went about commanding his men in Turkish as I watched, not far behind him as the ship rocked harder and harder.

"You should go below deck, you're already soaked." Qauren remarked, scanning over my now drenched hair and skirts.

Still I shook my head, enjoying the sound of hard waves and water tippy tapping against the oceans surface. Yet within minutes of the storms beginning, lightning and thunder erupted from the skies as the deck became slick with rain.

Everyone scurried about always almost slipping as they heaved up the main sail, hoping the winds would carry us out of this mess.

I stood behind qauren as he commanded his crew on what to do and they followed like a good crew should until qauren took a wrong step and slid across the deck, hitting his head and knocking him unconscious.

"Qauren? Qauren wake up!" I cried, shaking him and yelling over the storm.

Most of his men came to his side, pushing me out of the way and screaming, some in English some in Turkish as we drifted off course. They bickered for some time as I watched then looking out towards the sea only to be met with the sight of his tilting off course.

"no, no stop...look, we are drifting you have-I SAID STOP IT!" I cried finally gaining their attentions.

"You" I pointed at a rather well built man to my right, "get him below deck and the rest of you, go back to your stations and GET THIS SHIP BACK ON COURSE!" I commanded, shoving some of the rather rubber necked members towards their stations. As I turned to walk to the wheel a voice screamed out through the storm.

"I will not follow a woman! You are just the mistress of our captain. You hold no power here wench!" A young man cried out, lighting furiously cracking out behind him as his soaked hair wipped about his face wildly.

I turned, grabbing the boy by the hair and dragging him roughly to the edge of the ship.

"I will drown you in your own blood if you speak again! Do you hear me boy?!" My eyes alone, a call for his silence.

"I said go!" I screamed before continuing back on my path to the wheel. Tentatively I put my hands against it, remembering the few lessons qauren had given me on steering.

"Remember, turn left for right and right for left." I whispered to myself as thunder rumbled through me.

I spent what felt like days roughly pulling against the tides, screaming over the sound of the storm till my throat burnt at every use. My arms ached a great deal but still I heaved against the wheel, praying it would hold as the skies cleared and we sailed out of the rain.

"Keegan, come take over for me while I check on the captain!" I called out and the tall, slender man ran towards me. He nodded me off as my sore legs carried me below deck and to the back of the ship towards qauren and i's shared quarters.

I pushed open the door to be greeted with the sight of qauren, laying in his bunk, his head wrapped with red stained gauze.

I kneeled by his bed, inspecting his head before standing back up and forcing my heavy hands and feet to climb back up the ungodly amount of stairs back up to the deck.

"Do you want to take back over?" Keegan shouted, leaning over the wheel as I emerged from below deck.

"No keep us on course." I called, before letting myself lean against the wall behind me.

"Just stay standing, a caption shows no weakness." I whispered reminding myself of what qauren had said so many times before when his own body shivered in exhaustion.