Nothing More

That night we left the dock, the usual feeling of waves under my feet made my body relax a bit. I hadn't noticed how on edge it made me to be back on a solid land. Yet now I laid behind qauren as he steered us away from the dock, away from the rust and fish that lingered in the air.

"Qauren, I have a question." I mumbled, siting up and staring at the glowing orange lantern hanging from the near by posts that littered the deck.

"Aye, what is it?" He asked, arching his back and letting a groan out as it popped.

I tried to speak but saw dust filled my mouth as I stared at his shaggy blonde hair, his brown eyes boring holes into mine as I let my jaw go slack until he grunted tilting his head like a curious puppy.

"Why do you take care of me?" I blurted out, letting a bright blush cross my cheeks as I played with my hair nervously.

He stared at me, his eyebrows furrowed as he did.

"I was hired to?" He asked, turning to look back out across the sea.

"You weren't hired to buy me new clothes or or teach me Turkish, to be kind to me but you do all those things. Why?" I asked, as i carefully pushed myself off the ground, now more cautious of his answer.

He sighed, rubbing his temples before leaning against the wheel, not looking back at me as his shirt shifted around him to hang limply.

"Is there no other reason you've been so kind to me?" I mumbled, slowly taking small steps towards him as I chewed on my lip. As I got closer the view of his tired eyes closed and the lanterns light dancing across his  Scarred face made my stomach jump.

"Lets not do this tonight, princess. Its late, you're tired, I heard those yawns you've been letting out behind me as you stared at the sky." He dryly chuckled.

I thought for a moment, starting to take my leave when something stopped me.

"Tell it to me. Tell me why you, a stranger, took better care to me then mine own husband." I pleaded, turning back towards him as I pushed my coat off my hips, placing my hands on them firmly.

"Sleep." He commanded gently, refusing to meet my eyes the nerves starting to finally seep into the one word he let escape him.

I closed the space between us before placing my hand on his shoulder, it tensing under my touch before I leaned in, close to his ear.

"One can only hide their feelings for a time but once the last grain of sand has fallen through the glass, he will have no choice but to tell the truth in entirety." I whispered,  before pulling away, letting my hand slip from his back only for it to be caught in his grasp.

We stared at each other, the cold winds blowing across our faces as his eyes begged for more, searching for the disdain in mine. There was merely one step away between us, one step and id be in his arms, safe. Still, I couldn't take that one step. Gently, I pulled away from his grip nodding towards him before climbing down the ladder then down those short stairs, farther and farther from him.