Last Day

I sat, staring at qauren from his desk mere feet away from where he laid. I watched as his chest rose and fell rythmatically as if in a trance. I understood why Keegan betrayed me, still the wrenching pain did not falter as I kept repeating the words in my mind. "For my captain, for qauren". I tried to calm the subtle anger burning in my stomach with the memories of his kindness which only  Stoked it higher. Though soon I shook these thoughts away as Peter came in, ready to stitch my face up with his brown bag slung over his shoulder.

Hesitantly, he stood just at the door way as he stared uneasily at me. I suppose I looked a bit garrish, blood dried to my face with eyes that could peirce a dragons hide. For a moment we caught each other in a stand still, both waiting for the other to move.

"I'm going to have to kill him." I announced, rising up from the desk before slowly walking up to him. My body dragging behind me as if to heavy to hold me up. The guilt and pain weighed me down as if a it instead controlled me.

"I know, we all know." He nodded, his voice soft as if trying to comfort a child which somehow annoyed me more.

"What are they saying? The men, I mean."

"Nothing, they know that today is the day and I beleive it finally hit them." He mumbled, motioning for me to sit on the ground infront of him as he kneeled.

"They won't follow me after qauren is laid to rest and you know it." I winced as he wiped away to sticky blood caked to my cheeks and hands.

"They followed you before they'll follow you now." He affirmed, his voice almost lifeless as he spoke. The panging of guilt in my stomach returned as I realized he was cross with me.

"You don't agree with Keegan's punishment?" I asked, allowing him to continue in his painful work as I tried not to cry.

"You are captain, you do as you please." He nodded, speaking as if reading a script.

"You want me to let him live?" I scoffed pushing his hand away, my frustrations growing as he avoided eye contact.

He stayed silent, huffing before finally meeting my eye and nodding.

"He is just a child, 20. He was trying to protect his captain." He defended, motioning up towards the deck.

"From a girl? What have I done to ever show I want qauren dead? I sleep in the same bed as the man, if I wanted him dead id kill him!" I cried, frustration ever present as I pouted, crossing my arms across my chest.

Though his words hurt me I tried not to show it. He was choosing the boy who tried to murder me, trying to convince me not to kill him. I let him finish his tedious work of stitching up the gashes before collecting his things. As he took his leave he stopped at the door before turning towards me.

"I know it hurts, it feels lonely on the sea without him but you know whats right and wrong. I pray you, do whats right."

And with that he walked out, closing the door quietly. The burning of betrayal crawled up my throat as I began to cry. My knees to my chest and my hands covering my face as I felt like a child. The weakness id thought I left behind crept up my spine as if it was always there, merely waiting for a moment of weakness to drag me down further.

I turned back towards qauren before pushing myself up off the ground. Today was the day, Qaurens last day.