Holes

As I stood, leaning against the rail with my hands impatiently tapping on the wood under them as I stared at the lannasters ship as it tried to flee. Loud screeches above me made me jump, my eyes shooting up to see what was above me. I placed my hands above my eyebrows in an attempt to shield my eyes from the suns glare as I looked upwards. The culprit of such a shriek was a large hawk that circled above my head.

It glided down mere feet away, staring up at me from its low perch. I recognized it as the bird id see through mere moments ago. Hesitantly I held out my arm out, hoping it would come even a bit closer.

The bird took a moment before slowly waddling over to my arm. Almost inspecting the skin before pecking harshly. I whimpered before ripping my arm away.

"Beaty eyed cunt." I mumbled under my breath.

The heavy squeaking and moaning of iron from the cannon being pulled onto deck made the hawk cock its head towards the crew.

"Do any of you know how to use it?" I asked, walking slowly as I had expected the hawk to fly away but was presently surprised when it just sat patiently.

"Aye, how are we going to do this? Just shoot holes into their ship?" Keegan asked, his face red as he panted

I nodded, inspecting the dusty cannon with my free hand before glancing back towards them.

"How many cannon balls?"

"Six."

"Six." I repeated under my breath before walking back over to the rail.

"Set it up! Star board side! We have some lions to kill!" I yelled, the crew cheering as they stomped their feet and strained to pull the ropes attached to the cannon. My nerves shot through to my feet as I felt swear pour from me. If this went wrong id be the reason 24 innocent men died today. Though many didn't know English and never found the time to truly speak to me they had excepted me. Taught me what it was to be part of a crew and today id repay that kindness if I could.

I ripped at the pully that released the sail, undoing the knot that held it up as the ship raced forward. I walked determined up to the wheel perch and let us get significantly closer to the back of the ship before turning the wheel roughly to the left, making the ship lurch quickly to right.

"NOW!" I screamed, Keegan lit the ignition chamber up before jumping back and tightly pressing his hands to his ears.

The incredibly loud boom following the launch of the cannon balls made me duck, trying to escape the noise. I gasped, my mouth becoming dry as dirt as I blinked away the noise and groaned.

I could hardly hear the ships wood splintering and falling into the ocean over the ringing in my ears before I roughly pulled the wheel towards the right, bringing us right next to the lannaster ship before Keegan yelled "clear". Mere seconds later the loud boom echoed across the ocean as another cannon ball wrecked through their ship, bringing more and more water into the already tilting ship. That now had two huge wholes both of which were taking on large amounts of water.

We sailed away a few miles before letting the ancor down as the sun set behind us. I stared as the ship crumbled and sunk below the waves and debris floated about. For the first time in a long time I began to let stray tears fsll. They had found me, half way across the sea they found me and I protected myself and my people.

The memories of the day my father was captured plagued me. How I'd run away instead of protecting my people. How cowardly I was when I came to kings landing. I thought I was brave, that I was strong but the girl I once was had died the day I stepped foot on this ship. I would never run away again, not ever.