Swinging

Night quickly fell as I stared off into the distance as the lanterns were lit and people around me began to prepare for qaurens funeral. After mentally preparing myself I went back down to my room. With no knock I pushed open the door and everyone  stared at me as if I was intruding on something.

"ev çi ye?"
(Whats this?)
I asked, placing my hands behind my back as I creept closer.

They stayed silent, some turning to push past me and out the door while others began to gently lift qaurens body of his bed.

I let them leave the room before grabbing my coat and Qaurens hat that laid on his desk. I tried desperately to hide the fear and sadness that rocked through me as I walked up those stairs.

Peter looked over before hesitantly outstretched his arm to me, inviting me to join the rest. I walked over swiftly, taking it before looking over at Keegan who was still tied to the sail post.

The warm but dim light of the lanterns lit our faces in a grim frame. Peter began praying over him in Turkish but my brain was to tired to translate, to tired to listen. Instead I stared back at Keegan who stared at me, tears in his eyes as if he knew he failed.

A feeling id become familiar with as id left my home. As I stared at him all I wanted was to feel compassion, to forgive him, to understand but the stinging of the gashes across my face brought the painful feeling of betrayal to heart. He had betrayed me and for that I could not forgive, I was not qauren and I was not good.

"Does anyone have any last words?" Peter called, looking over to me as if to signal it was my time.

"Aye, id reckon I've got something to say." I announced, stepping forward from my place by qaurens head.

"Qauren was a good man, a good captain. He is my savior and for that I can never repay but I will try. Peter has bid me to allow qaurens former second mate, Keegan, to stay on the ship. To keep his head if you will." I gestured towards him as they stared at me.

"This, I have decided I will leave to you. You know him best, know his character. I pray you, if you have a plea for his innocence, speak it now."

I expected all of the to come clamor up, professing his innocence, begging for his release but contrary they stayed silent all but Peter.

"As I've told you before, I beleive he should be allowed to continue in his duties on the ship. He made a mistake, a lapse in judgment but he is still a child, still the man we knew before." He pleaded, but not just to me, to everyone.

"Anyone else?" I sighed, tiring of the guilt that ate away at my stomach.

The only noise coming from the splash of waves as I scanned across every face, waiting for another plea of innocence.

"I say hang him!" Marlin called, pushing forward towards me.

My eye brows furrowed as I stared at him as he pleaded for another member of his crew to be killed.

"We agreed to follow qauren across the sea, to be his crew, to follow his orders! One of those orders was to protect the princess, though We have all failed in this he!" He yelled, pointing a wicked finger at the ever paling Keegan, "he broke the vow he swore, blood for blood I say!"

They nodded, amongst themselves before beginning to chant, "blood for blood", stomping their feet in unison as they did they day we took down the lannaster ship.

It sounded more like a war drum in the night as it surrounded me. I looked over to the defeated Peter who only looked away in shame.

"Blood for blood!" I cried, as they started towards the sail, untying them both before taking the rope formerly used to hold them and tying them into nooses. Though they struggled, the crew forced both of them onto barrels with the nooses around their necks.

I stood infront of them, staring up at their pleading eyes with guilt in my own. And then I finally felt it, compassion. But not for them, from *my* crew. They saw my pain, saw my loss, they stood with me even through their own.

With this I kicked out Darren's barrel as he swung, desperately clawing at his rope, trying to get even a finger between his skin and the rope as he swung. I was completely shocked at the disturbing bulge in his eyes as he reached down for help, tried to cry out but it made no difference.

Cheers erupted as he went limp and they chanted once again. My fearful eyes turned towards Keegan as he stared down at me, his eyes the same as mine.

"Any last words?" I allowed, looking up towards him.

"Fuck you!" He spit before rocking the barrel back and out from under him.

With a gasp I turned away, him violently swinging and twitching behind me as cheers erupted around me. I clinched my eyes closed only to see him swinging in my mind.

Swiftly, Peter pulled me out of the cheering crowd and over towards the rail. As soon as I grabbed onto the edge I emptied my stomach of everything inside, the bile burning my throat as I sputtered and covered my eyes.

"What have I done?" I whispered, desperate to keep composure infront of the crew, my crew.

"What you had to." He comforted, rubbing my back before allowing me to find my composition.

Him and 4 other men lifted the plank qaurens body laid on up onto their shoulders and awaited my orders by the edge.

With a simple nod they gently slid his body off the plank, the splash of his body being hear by all before they cut Keegan and Darren down and tossed them unceremoniously over board.