Chapter 29 A sudden turn of events

Lu Xu asked La Yue and Lu Zhou to take a fancy to Lu Rui, and gathered with the villagers at the grain drying field to wait for the announcement of this year's field tax.

As soon as he went out, he met Yan Junqi who came out from home.

Lu Xu paused: "Jun Qi, are you going too?"

According to the Daqi law, if you are a farmer without land, you must pay land tax based on the number of males in the family. Fifteen is a ding, and one ding is five acres. This means that although your family has no land, it will always make a living, whether you are fishing or making mats. , or planting fruit trees, as long as you are a farmer, you will be counted as having farmland when collecting taxes. If your family has a male who is over fifteen years old, the court will treat it as if your family has planted five acres of fertile land and you have to pay the money. If you don’t pay, your agricultural registration will be revoked in the coming year, and it will be counted as a commercial registration, and you will have to pay a heavier commercial tax!

The number of boys must be reported to the county government at the beginning of each year. If Yan Junqi is a young boy and is under fifteen years old, he will be counted as one, and he will have to pay taxes this year.

Yan Junqi nodded: "I'll go and have a look."

Lu Xu went with him.

Not long after they arrived, the third uncle, fourth uncle and his grandfather also rushed from the field.

"Have you said how much the field tax will be this year?"

"I didn't say anything."

"Do you think it can be reduced this year?"

"Decrease? I think it may have to increase."

"The stick has been playing for more than ten years. Isn't it the same every year, how can it increase?"

You can say anything, Lu Xu just listen, their two-acre field is doing well this year, and they have harvested about 300 catties of wheat per mu, and they have to eat three or four catties of noodles a day, which is equivalent to grinding eight taels per catty of wheat. For flour, even if one cent of the field tax is not paid, the two acres of land will only be enough for four or five months. Not enough to eat at all!

If they only rely on farming to make a living, their family would have to farm at least ten acres of land, taking into account the weather and tax. But with their family’s labor force, they simply can’t farm ten acres of land…

Even if you plant some vegetables and grains in addition to wheat, you still have to plant seven or eight acres of land.

Lu Xu was thinking about it, and suddenly heard Lizheng asking loudly, "Is everyone here? See if anyone is not here, hurry up and call."

Lu Xu calmed down, the crowd made a fuss, and Li Zheng rang the gong, "Quiet, quiet, no more."

Everyone concentrated and waited expectantly for him to announce the amount of land tax.

Lu Xu looked at Li Zheng through the crowd, but could not see a trace of happiness on Li Zheng's face.

There was a thump in his heart, he and Yan Junqi looked at each other, and said at the same time: "This year we Guanyang is a bumper year, and the land tax set by the imperial court is more than last year, five out of twenty."

After Li finished speaking, the crowd fell silent and then exploded.

"Five out of twenty?!"

"Can we survive?"

Li was beating the gong again with a sullen face. His lips trembled and he said in a deep voice, "The imperial court's grain collector has arrived in Yinma Town, bringing ten cargo ships with him. The government has sent hundreds of elite soldiers to protect the grain and grass!"