Chapter 40: Family

"I know." Jungkook's voice and presence surprise Alpha Jeon.

When the father comes face to face with his son, whom he has not seen in six years, tears well up in his eyes.

"Sunshine, have you said hi to your grandparents?" Jungkook asks as he walks over to his alpha pup.

"Oh. Harabeoji and Halmeoni." The alpha pup hums in understanding as he looks up at the older couple.

"Jungkook-"

"Not here. Let's go somewhere private." Jungkook cuts his father off and then softly smiles at his mate.

"I'll close the shop for the day," Taehyung suggests.

"No, I'll run it with Hajoon. Go." Sungchan smiles and motions for them to leave.

"Let's talk at home. You know where we live." Jungkook mutters to his parents and picks Hoseok up.

When they arrive home, Jungkook's parents quietly sit on the couch that Jungkook points to. "We are going to put our pups in their nursery, and then we will talk," Jungkook tells his parents before following Taehyung to the nursery.

Sensing his father's stress, Hoseok kisses him on the cheek and pats the top of his head. Jungkook softly smiles as his pup comforts him. "Appa will be okay," Jungkook whispers to his pup.

"Appa strong." Hoseok smiles and hugs his father.

After placing Jimin in his crib, handing Hoseok several toys, and turning on the baby monitor, Taehyung and Jungkook leave the nursery. As they walk over to Jungkook's parents, Taehyung gently places his hand on his mate's lower back to comfort him.

"Instead of apologies, I want an explanation." Jungkook calmly tells his parents as he looks at them.

Without hesitation, Jungkook's mother responds, "Your father and I were worried about you. Your grandfather was becoming worse and worse as the days went by. No matter how often your father and grandfather fought, your grandfather kept finding you and verbally abusing you. Your grandfather threatened to block your career and stop all of your dreams. Your father and I asked him what we could do to make him leave you alone. He told us to disown you." Jungkook's mother wrings her hands as she starts the explanation.

"So, your mother and I talked about what we could do." Jungkook's father continues the explanation when he notices how distraught his mate is. "I knew a young CEO who had started an entertainment agency a few years prior, so I called him and asked him to take you under his wing. He told us that he would watch your audition and make a decision afterward. You had a big audition coming up, so your mother and I made a deal with my father. If he did not mess with your upcoming audition, we would disown you. With your talent and hard work, you got the role. That day was bittersweet for us. We were beyond proud of you for getting the role and for your hard work, and we were heartbroken about what we were about to do to you. That day should have been one of the happiest days of your life, but we broke your heart." Jungkook's father whispers as a tear streams down his face.

"Then, how come you just decided to show back up in my life? Grandfather has been near death for two years." Jungkook asks as he looks at his parents.

"When your mother and I thought it was safe to contact you again, Actor Lee Suho got into trouble and lost several contracts. People were upset when they found out he came from a wealthy and powerful family, claiming he only got his roles through his powerful family's influence. Your mother and I decided to wait until people acknowledged you for your hard work and talent. We decided to wait until people wouldn't care about your family background because you are Actor Jeon Jungkook. And you have done just that. People love watching you act. They love all of your performances. You are hardworking and talented, and no one can ever say that you got your roles because of your parents. What they don't know is that you lost several roles because of your family." Jungkook's father explains as he gently holds his mate's hands.