Chapter 52: Lullaby

Trigger warning: there is child abuse in this chapter.

As the little brown-furred omega pup stumbles through the autumn forest for his first run, his sub-pack protectively follows behind him. His happy little yips fill the vibrant forest as he plows into a pile of freshly fallen leaves. His sub-pack howls with joy as he bounces around.

"He is way too adorable." Taehyung coos as he watches his youngest pup traipse through the leaves.

"I remember how Sunshine ran throughout the entire forest, but Moon is playing with the leaves. They are so different, and I love it." Jungkook purrs and sits next to his mate.

Hoseok and Hyesun happily bark and run around Jimin as he continues to explore the piles of leaves.

While Jimin is surrounded by his large, warm, protective family, a beta pup sits in a dark, dank apartment while a cracked television plays a drama. The small beta pup watches the show with big eyes as the alpha in the show protects his omega mate. The television shows the beta pup many colors and unknown happiness.

"Turn that cursed noise off!" A man shouts and throws a bottle at the beta pup, causing him to scramble up and turn the screen off. "What a useless thing." The man snarls before storming off, leaving the beta trembling in the alcohol bottle-littered room. "Be useful! Cook me something!"

The beta pup quickly stumbles through the messy apartment to the grimy kitchen. He grabs a dinged-up pot and fills it with water from the sputtering spout, then paces it on the broken portable stove. He sniffles as his hands shake when he tries to get the portable stove to ignite. When it pops and burns him, the beta pup silently jumps and looks at the burn on his hand.

"Are you crying just from that? Weak. Useless. Should have drowned you at birth." The man hisses as he smacks the small beta over the head. "Useless, just like your mother. Finish cooking!"

The beta quickly tries to ignite the portable stove again. When it ignites, the beta pup sighs with relief and watches as the blue flames lick the bottom of the pot. His grey eyes flicker as he watches the flames.

While Jimin blows out his birthday candles and eats the meal his father, grandparents, and uncle made for his birthday, the beta pup silently watches as his father gulps down the instant noodles he made. As Jimin's family showers him with warmth and love, the beta pup's father tosses the empty pot at him, yelling for more food. When Jimin happily sighs from being full, the beta pup hungrily eats what is left over at the bottom of the third pot of noodles his father ate. 

However, there is only one person to blame for the disparity of the two pups' upbringing. It is the parent who wastes his days away gambling and drinking while abusing his child. Jimin is not at fault for enjoying his loving childhood, and his family is not wrong for loving him and providing for him. The only person to blame is the one who mistreats others.

"Disgusting beta with a mangy grey coat." The man scoffs as he watches his starved son desperately eat what he has left over. 

The young beta quietly watches as his father puts on a coat and stumbles out of the dilapidated apartment. Once he is alone, the beta rushes over to the television and turns it on. His eyes sparkle when he sees the alpha on the cracked screen. The alpha is warm and kind as he answers interview questions about his family. As the beta pup watches him, he longs for the warmth the alpha provides for his family. The young beta reaches his hands out to the cracked screen and tries to touch the unattainable warmth he has never known.

I want to be like you. The beta thinks as he looks at the kind alpha. I want to protect others.

"Alpha Jeon, you posted on your social media that you love singing your pups to sleep. Since this interview will air for many to hear, would you sing a lullaby for pups without parents?" The interviewer asks as she looks at the kind alpha.