01 Dragons

"Yuna, wake up!"

Sluggish blinking Yuna opened her blue eyes. The blue-haired high school student sat up and rubbed her face. "Yui?"

A fragile looking, blonde girl stood next to her and put her hands on her hips. Her violet eyes looked seriously out of her narrow face. "I've already told you a hundred times that you should go to bed when you're tired. Your drawings will not run away."

Yuna's gaze wandered to the tabletop in front of her. Various sketches and drawings lay around scattered. She has once again fallen asleep while working. "I want to finish this."

"If you would manage your time better, you could already be finished."

Yuna turned her head and stuck out her tongue. "Mind your own business. I've got this."

"Tz. If you say so."

The blonde turned away and picked up her gray-purple pajamas from the lower bunk bed, to change her clothes. Yuna watched her briefly, grinning. Although Yui was the younger sister, she was way more considered. She was a little perfectionist who always wanted to do everything right and correctly.

Yuna tended to the contrary. While she was hanging out in her bed in the morning, the other girl was already running around their room to prepare for school. She made their lunch ready to help their mother, because she had to take care of their two younger siblings. Yui woke her older sister, sometimes rudely with a wet cloth or the likes.

On the way to school, the blonde-haired chased her sister, so she would not be late. At least for as long, as they went to the same school. For five weeks Yuna visited the high school, which was located in a different part of the city than their middle school. Since then it had become a little more difficult for her.

"What?", asked Yui, after she had noticed the gaze of her sister.

"Nothing ..."

"Incredibly. You fall asleep even with your eyes open."

"Shut up."

The high school student laughed, then slid her gaze over the anime posters on the walls, past her shelf with her manga collection and she looked at the drawing on the table in front of her.

The picture showed a large, black creature. The fearsome beast had four strong legs and a massive skull, its mouth studded with razor-sharp teeth. Small, black eyes stared blankly at the viewer. It was not clear to discern whether this thing had a fur or scales, but pointed spikes protruded out of its back.

"This is a very strange dog.", remarked Yui as she peered over Yuna's shoulder.

"It's not a dog."

"Then what is it?"

Yuna faltered. She wasn't sure herself, what it was. In another picture a similarly grotesque monstrosity was drawn, which had mighty wings instead of arms. Where did she get the idea for these beasts?

"These are ... dragons."

"You sound as if you're not sure about that."

"Man. Don't get on my nerves."

"All right. Excuse my interest in your doodles."

The blonde admired her sister for her talent for drawing and was one of her biggest fans. She grabbed a book from her shelf, went to her bed and sat down on it.

Yui opened it and poked her nose in it.

"You're reading that again?", grumbled the blue-haired.

"Well, it's my favorite book."

"But, that's already the fifth time."

"The fourth. I love it."

The older rolled her eyes, checked her cell phone if her best friend Hikari had written back and drew on then.

There was a knock at their door. "Yes?", shouted the girls at once.

Shortly thereafter, a brown-haired man stuck his head in. His hair was always disheveled and also a little bit too long. Or simply too short to go through as long-haired. "I wanted to say goodbye to you girls."

Yui put the book aside, rushed to him and embraced him warmly. "Until next time, Yoshiro."

He hugged her back. "I'll text you, little brain." They cuddled and fooled around.

Yuna looked at both critical. "You are so childish."

"Oh, come on, give your uncle a hug, monster." Yui giggled at this pet name.

"You shall not call me monster.", snorted Yuna. She hated it when he called her that.

Yoshiro stepped closer to her and let his eyes slide over her drawings. "Sorry, your Majesty, Queen of the monsters." He couldn't help but grin.

Yuna rolled her eyes and hugged him briefly. "Besides, you're not our real uncle anyway."

The man looked at her with played hurt. "Ouch. To hear something like that hurts."

Yuna and Yui's father also came in. He was slightly larger than Yoshiro, with short black hair and glasses. "Did you say goodbye?"

The two girls nodded. "Yes, father."

He looked at the drawings on the table. "Yuna, I told you, I don't want you to draw such horror stuff."

"These are dragons, father.", said Yui.

"Doesn't matter. I said no monsters."

Yoshiro also tried to mediate. "Come on, Kensuke. These are just drawings."

The two men looked at each other for a moment in silence. It almost seemed as if they would carry on a conversation on a different level, while they stared at each other.

"This is my thing, Yoshiro. Keep out of it." He picked up the drawings from the table. "Draw beautiful things, Yuna."

For the first time, the blue-haired spoke up. "Maybe I find them to be beautiful, father."

He snorted and crumpled the images. Then he threw them to the ground. "That's nonsense. And now go to sleep. Both of you." Kensuke turned around and urged Yoshiro, who was staring at him somewhat annoyed, out of the room.

Yuna had tears in her eyes, which she blinked rapidly away. This ruthless side of her father she hated. He was a very loving father, but also very strict. And her rather poor school grades annoyed him, just like her, in his opinion, senseless hobbies. Often enough, they had a fight, because he wanted her to go to a good university. His daughters should have a better life, than their parents. In this respect he didn't care the least about Yui. He had his eldest daughter even accused that she should behave more adult, like her younger sister for example.

"I'm sorry.", apologized Yui. "The dragons were not beautiful, but you drew them very well."

The elder stood up from the table, pushed past her sister and climbed up to her bed. "Leave me alone." Then she lay down and stuffed the headphones of her mobile phone in her ears.

Yui bit her lower lip, and looked after her with a sad expression. She stepped to the light switch, turned the light off and went to sleep afterwards.

Yuna listened to her current favorite song in infinite loop, until she fell asleep.

"Yuna! Yuna! Wake up!" Yui shook her sister excitedly on her shoulder.

"What?", she snapped sleepy.

"I saw a dragon!"