32 Onihunt

"I hear nothing, uncle.", she whispered.

"Exactly. At least we should hear the squeak of the rats."

"Is the Oni here?"

"I guess." Yoshiro consulted the map. "But ... that's too far away. He's never been so far east."

"Is it a different Oni?" Yuna held the grip of her Beretta firmly enclosed. She was quite nervous.

"It's possible. Sometimes they band together and form a pack. That would be very dangerous. Down here I can't make proper use of my power."

"Then let's head back and get better weaponry."

Yoshiro stripped of his jacket and handed it over to Yuna. He had a sawed-off shotgun strapped on his back. He quickly pulled the tether over his head and let the gun dangle in front of him. The girl gave him his jacket back, in which he slipped quickly.

"Are you ready, Yuna?"

"I-I think so." She nervously licked her lips.

"Please remember. It's always better to dodge an attack than to get hit by it. Never underestimate your opponent."

"Okay."

"I'll keep an eye on you and protect you as good as I can."

"You don't need to. I can do this."

"I hope so. Please be quiet from now on."

"Yes, Sir.", whispered Yuna, but could not relax despite her joke. A fine film of sweat moistened her forehead.

With quiet, cautious steps they worked their way further forward through the tunnel. Yuna was so tense that she no longer noticed the disgusting stench. With her eye she searched the floor and the walls for traces. Her hands were warm and humid with sweat. The girl tried to breath calmly and slowly.

Her mentor walked ahead of her, as he suddenly raised his hand.

"Wait.", he hissed softly, then he walked a few steps further and knelt down. The blue-haired tried to peek over his shoulder, but could not see what was over there. She got closer and stretched her neck.

A chewed corpse lay with its back down on the way. The skin of the face was torn to shreds. Deep cuts disfigured the skull and gave insight into the inner. The left arm was severed at the elbow and the right one was entirely missing.

Yuna felt nausea rising in herself. She wanted to look away, but was spellbound.

The abdomen of the victim was open and looked hollow and empty. The legs were barely left. Some of the intestines were still spread around on the soil. All the remains were swimming in a sea of drying blood.

Okay, that was enough. Yuna felt bile rising in her throat. She spat and vomited. This was too disgusting. Yoshiro approached her quickly.

"Are you okay?", he whispered anxiously.

The blue-haired nodded and blinked away a tear.

"I'm sorry that you had to see that."

"That's part of the job, right?"

"Unfortunately yes."

"This is why we have to destroy the Oni, so that not more people have to die."