116 The obituary

"The multimillionaire and philanthropist Yoshiro Takagi, the third, was found dead tonight. The exact circumstances of his death are not yet clear, but the police is working feverishly to resolve the matter. So far, the signs indicate that the reclusive man was the victim of a violence crime. The leadership of the Takagi-group talks of a bitter loss for the company and our beautiful city. Our information about the deceased state that he left no progeny. The Takagi family, whose head and last member he was, supported our city for over eighty years with donations and grants for the University Hospital."

Wataru's head whirled around. Had he heard right? Yoshiro Takagi was dead? Ayumi had once told him excitedly that Yuna's uncle was rich. Very rich. And now he was dead?

Yesterday everything was so strange anyway. The unannounced visit from Yuna's uncle from America. Then Ayumi had lured him into the kitchen, because she couldn't decide what to cook for dinner. Then Ryu and Yuna suddenly disappeared. He had an idea that it would be about onihunter stuff, so he mentioned nothing to their roommate, so she wouldn't feel uneasy.

Though, she had made an slightly nervous impression to him. She hadn't spoken a single word with him and barricaded herself in her room for the rest of the evening.

But this news shocked him now.

"Oh my God. I must immediately call Yuna." He stopped his bike on the sidewalk, took out his cell phone and dialed her number.

"The desired mobile subscriber is currently ..." He ended the call.

Damn it. He hadn't checked if she was at home. Since their joint onihunt their relationship had been very tense. And now her uncle had passed away? He had to go home. He had to see her. Without thinking, he cycled back to the pension.

***

Midori had just stepped off the bus and headed for the hospital. For the hundredth time she looked at the text message on her cell phone, which she hadn't sent yet.

I enjoyed my time with you. I'd like to see you again. Please call me.

He hadn't called or visited her, since he had disappeared from her apartment. Her first impulse was to call him, but she didn't want to put him under pressure. Under his tough exterior, he was a very sensitive soul and had to be treated with caution.

"Hey, Midori-chan," a brown-haired colleague greeted her when they met each other at the main entrance.

"Hey, Machiko-chan. Are you fine?"

"Yes. Have you heard the news?"

The two women went on side by side. "No. What's up?"

"Yoshiro Takagi was murdered."

Abruptly remained the green-eyed standing and her phone clattered to the floor. Horrified, she stared at her colleague. Machiko also stopped and looked at her friend.

"What?!" breathed Midori with in disbelief widened eyes.

"I've heard it on the radio. Must have happened last night." The brown haired ducked, picking up Midori's phone. She held it out to her. "Here." The green-eyed stared at the phone. Slowly, she reached out and picked it up. "Are you sick? You look kind of pale." Machiko put her hand on Midori's forehead and felt her temperature. "You have no fever."