63 Undertaker Shiba

After both women dressed properly, they took a taxi to visit the funeral company. While driving, Ayumi chatted relaxed with Yuna, who only replied if it really was necessary. She didn't feel like talking at all.

The huntress thought about what she should probably expect. Her family hadn't been very religious. She wondered whether Yoshiro had taken this into account. Or, if he wanted to do everything the right way and set all levers in motion to make this funeral special. She feared for the latter. How should she react?

Upon the death of her grandparents, they had a casketing at their home. After the Kotsuage, the remaining bones in their urn were kept in the house shrine until the burial. Monks came over and prayed for the dead to send them to the afterlife.

Yuna knew better. She had spoken with her family. Except her father, who was still held captive by Tirr. Or were these only dreams? The confused dreams of a traumatized girl? The blue-haired bit herself in the left index finger, which earned her a questioning look from her companion.

Was she awake? Was this truly reality? Or was she in a coma? In a frenzied dreamland? A product of her disturbed imagination? Was it her, instead of Yui, who was far off the world and imprisoned in her body? Was perhaps her sister doing well, and took care of Yuna as she tried by all means to stay away from reality?

She turned to Ayumi. "This isn't a dream, right?"

The older one looked at her thoughtfully. "I would say no. But then maybe I'm just a part of it and wouldn't know better."

"Hm."

"Does it matter?"

The girl blinked thoughtfully. "I'm not sure."

Yuna looked at the taxi driver before she continued. The man seemed to pay no attention to their conversation.

"Do you think it's possible that my experiences are real?"

"Honestly? No. I have no use for these kind of stories. But ... I believe what I see. What I experience. Maybe there is really more going on in this world, then I have seen so far."

For the rest of the ride, the talkativeness of the redhead went down rapidly.

They left the taxi in front of the stairs of the funeral company Shiba. Ayumi took Yuna by the hand and led her up to the entrance portal. Once they had stepped through the door, the younger one remained rooted on the spot.

No. This had to be a joke. She stared at another Oni, who wore a fancy dark suit, and stood around, until his attention went to the new arrivals. He quickly came over to them and bowed down in front of his guests. The young women did the same.

"Good evening, ladies. My name is Shinji Shiba. How may I help you?" He gave them a friendly smile, at least in his human form.

"Good evening, Shiba-san. This is Yuna Masuda. I am Ayumi Shikibu. We are here to give our farewells to her family.", Ayumi took over the conversation.

"My sincere condolences. Masuda is the family's name?"

Ayumi looked at Yuna, who still stared shocked at the Oni. Gently, she pushed the hand of the girl. "It's fine, Yuna-chan."

The Oni, who glanced at the huntress very interested now, continued smiling. The blue-haired studied his face. His nose was flattened, slightly deformed. His bald head was covered with reddish scales. His teeth resembled those of a shark. Little confidence inspiring, if you could see his true form.