Too Late

Damon's POV
I held her close, stroking her hair away from her face. " Please wake up. Please please wake up."
Elena stood off to the side crying into Stefan's chest as he held her close. I didn't pay then any attention. I smoothed my hands across her cheek, framing her face.
Tears slid down my cheeks. Only two hours ago the two of us were cuddling together in my bed, talking about our future. I'd finally convinced her to let me change her. This morning we were happy. Now I felt like my heart was being ripped out of my chest.
" Please baby wake up." I whimpered, kissing her forehead. This morning flashed through my mind.
" Baby it's time to wake up." I whispered, kissing her forehead.
She sighed and snuggled into my chest, wrapping her arms around me. " I don't want to get up. " She moaned.
I laughed at her. I nudged my nose against hers. Something about her brought out all the cute stuff that I made fun of my brother for. " Baby we have to get up."
She shook her head and snuggled even closer. "Why do we have to get up?" She groaned.
A full smile filled my face as I ran my fingers through her hair while holding her close. " Because Stefan and Elena want to have brunch together before the Founder's Day thing."
"Ugh!" She groaned, collapsing back onto her side of the bed dramatically. " Why do they hate us?"
I slid over to her and wrapped my arms around her waist, nuzzling my face into her neck. She giggled and pulled me closer. "I think they want to tease us." I kissed her pulse lightly, making her moan under me. I smiled widely. " I love you." I said, looking up at her.
She opened her eyes for the first time this morning and looked down at me with a smile covering her face. My heart swelled. I loved that smile. She framed my face with her hands. " I love you too baby."
I kissed her lightly before snuggling back into her arms. " Just think, we'll be able to wake up like this for the rest of our lives."
She stiffened slightly. I looked up at her. She looked worried. " You'll help me control it right?"
I smiled widely at her and then kissed her nose affectionately. "Of course baby."
The worry left her eyes and she smiled at me. "I love you darling. So much." Her hand cupped my cheek. I leaned into her palm and kissed it lightly, my fangs scrapping against the skin when my vampire face emerged. She moaned lightly. " Come on really? You know what that does to me."
I grinned mischievously before kissing her. Her tongue prodded at my fangs lightly. I groaned lowly at her. She smirked at me. I pulled away from her. " Just wait until you've be turned. The tables will be turned then."
She laughed at me, smiling widely. " I can't wait."
"Damon." I looked up to see Stefan above me, his hand on my shoulder. " Damon she's gone."
Tears fell down my cheeks faster. I couldn't lose her. She couldn't be gone. I shook my head. " No she's going to wake up. She'll wake up and this will be a big laugh. She's going to wake up. She'll wake up right?"
Stefan teared up and shook his head. "She's gone Damon."
I shook my head. " She can't be gone." I looked back down at her, kissing her lips. They were cold as ice. " Please wake up baby. Please don't leave me." Sobbed racked through my body. " I love you." I whimpered.
I paced through my living room lightly, running my fingers through my hair. Damon Salvatore in love. No one would believe it. Stefan didn't believe it. Hell I didn't believe it.
" Damon?" Her voice sounded from behind me.
I turned to look at her and if my heart worked, I'm sure it would've stopped. There she was, dripping wet in front of me from the rain outside, one of my shirts clinging to her like a second skin. " Mar? What're you doing here?"
I cursed myself in my head, I sounded breathless. She stepped toward me. " I was worried about you. Elena said you'd been acting strange lately."
She kept walking toward me. Her sweet smell mixed with rainwater wafted toward my nose. I felt my face changing. I turned away. " I'm fine." I said in a strained voice.
" Damon please don't. " She said lightly, touching my back. I could feel the heat seeping into my skin.
I groaned and turned, my vampire face exposed. " This doesn't scare you?"
She shook her head adamantly before cupping my face in her hands. " Never." She kissed the veined skin under my eyes. I took a shuddering breath, my body relaxing under her touch. " I love you Damon Salvatore. "
My eyes flew open at that, widening. "What?"
She giggled softly. " I said I love you."
I smiled for the first time in years. "I love you too Marissa Fell."
"Please come back to me." I whimpered.
"Damon." I turned to look at Elena, the girl I thought I'd loved until I met Marissa. "She's gone. You need to let her go."
Anger spread through me like a virus. I growled at her. She jumped back in fear. "No!"
"Marissa! " I watched as she fell to the ground after Katherine snapped her neck. I sped over to her quickly, pulling her into my arms. " No. No. No. No. No. No. No. You're okay. You're gonna be okay." I smoothed her hair out of her face.
Katherine smirked at me. " That'll teach you to reject me." I glared up at her. "What? Is Damon upset because I killed his play toy? " She said in a baby voice.
" I will never forgive you for this." I put Marissa down lightly and sped over to Katherine, wrapping my hands around her throat. I squeezed hard.
" Damon!" She rasped out. " Damon I can't breathe."
My face shifted. " Because of you she will never breathe again!" I screamed at her, pointing to the love of my life. " You don't deserve to live."
Her eyes widened. " Damon no don't. Damon please! I'm so much better than her Damon. We could be happy together. Damon you don't want to do this!" She pleaded.
I growled at her. " Don't underestimate me Katherine. I've been longing to do this for years." With that, I pulled her heart from her chest and tossed it onto the ground.
I sped back over to Marissa, picking her up into my arms again. " Please wake up baby. You can't leave me yet. We were supposed to be together forever. Like you promised."
"Damon it's too late." Stefan said.
I shook my head. " No I can't lose her. I was going to change her later today. She can't be gone."
Elena gasped. "You finally convinced her?"
I nodded, my eyes filling with tears again. "She'd agreed just last night."
" Oh my god Damon-" She said.
" Don't. " I cut her off. " Just don't. " It seemed like just yesterday I met her.
" Elena!" A voice sounded from the entryway to the grill.
She gasped in surprise. " Marissa!" She squealed and ran toward the girl, capturing her in a hug so that I couldn't see her.
" Who is that?" I asked Matt, motioning to the new girl.
He rolled his eyes at me. "That's Marissa. She lived here up until freshman year and then she was transferred to a private school."
I heard the two girls talk back and forth to each other, exchanging pleasantries. Stefan walked into the grill and greeted Elena. I rolled my eyes at them. The perfect couple.
" You alright there darling? "
I turned to look at the person bothering me when whatever I was going to say got stuck in my throat. " Huh?" I was looking at one of the most beautiful women I've ever seen.
She giggled and I promised myself that I'd try to make her do that over and over again. " I asked if you were alright."
I swallowed thickly, loving the sound of her voice. " I'm fine."
She smiled widely at me before holding out her hand. " It's nice to meet you fine. I'm Marissa Fell."
I laughed loudly. For some reason that was funnier than it should have been. I shook her hand. "Damon Salvatore. Lovely to meet you."