Untitled #17

It’s 8pm now, and you’ve been sat on the sofa, staring at the little clock on the side table for an hour. You don’t know what you’ve been waiting here for really. You somehow just didn’t want to do anything else. So sitting in your night dress for the rest of the night seemed like the best idea.

It’s been a few months since you were turned. It was all new and exciting when it happened, even though you had never wanted it. But when the circumstances were unavoidable, there was no other choice but to either be a vampire or just plain dead. You had had Elena, Damon, Caroline, and Stefan all helping you come to terms with it, and showing you that it wasn’t that bad, showing you how to control it, up until now everything was more or less the same as it was when you were human. But then again, that was just the point, you’re not human.

You turned your head to look forward at the fireplace, you hadn’t even noticed until now it was lit, and that the room had almost turned fully dark as the sun had finally set outside. You stared at the flames, and focused on the sound, hearing every crack from the fire, your new vamp skills giving all these special little tricks, but what was the point if you’re already dead.

Your hearing picked up on the presence behind you before you saw him, and from the sound of his walk you knew instantly who it was… Alaric. Alaric, of course. The one person who had helped you the most with this transformation. The only person who had ever asked how you were feeling with the change. The one person who you trusted the most to make you feel balanced and grounded with all this.

“Hey, everything okay?” You could easily sense the concern in his voice.

So you wiped your cheek with the back of your hand. “Yeah, I’m fine.” You said turning your head to glance at him.

“You’re obviously not.” He said walking around the sofa to you. “You’re sat in the dark crying.”

You looked up at him as he sat down next to you, you weren’t looking for a pity party, but if there was anyone left in your life you felt like you could talk to it would be him.

“I’m just… Thinking.” You replied turning to watch the flames in the fire again. There was a pause as he waited for what else you were going to say.

“What if… What if there’s nothing left for me.” It came out as almost a whisper. This being the first time you’ve said it out loud.

“Like what?”

“Like, if this is as good as it gets.” You couldn’t help but turn to him, seeing those eyes searching you.

“I can’t have kids, Alaric. I won’t get older, I won’t settle down with a family. I’ll be stuck like this forever. What if this is it for me. What if I’m just going to watch my friends and family get old and die around me, and then, I’ll just be alone. What’s the point in living this life when I’ll never truly be living.”

Alaric’s eyes seemed to grow sad, listening to this little speech, and seeing that only made you feel worse. It wasn’t like you couldn’t see the good side to this, considering most of the people you loved were already vampires or some other immortal creature, but the downsides were something you were still dealing with.

“I didn’t mean to sound ungrateful. I am happy you turned me, I know that I’m just lucky to be alive at all, I just…”

“Stop.” His hand gently lifted your chin up, to let him look at you, and the thumb that was now lightly brushing up and down your cheek made you fall silent and just be bared to his loving eyes. You let his hand comfort you and drifted into his touch as he spoke, “You’ll never be alone, y/n. I’ll always be here for you. You won’t have to go through this on your own.”