A Day At The Movies

You couldn't remember why you were sat there. Not really. You couldn't think about how the cold wind bit at your skin or how the music playing in your ears was just that little bit too quiet. You couldn't think of anything. Just your next destination and even then, you couldn't really think of that.
You picked at your chipped black nail varnish, swinging your feet just above the ground. An involuntary shiver ran through you, causing a strand of hair to fall over your eyes. For a moment, you thought you would move it; the light tickle against your nose starting to annoy you. You decided against it, of course. It required too much thought, too much effort. So, once again, you let yourself be immersed by the music; the gentle pluck of guitar strings soothing your mind.
Despite the road being almost dark, save for the one little flickering lamppost beside the bus shelter, you didn't notice the car pull up beside the shelter. You didn't even turn your head at the sound of two male voices, seemingly parting ways. Your body did give a little jump when someone joined you on the bench but, other than that, you made no movements.
Out of the corner of your eye, you could see who had taken up residency beside you on the bench. He was young. That was all you could tell. Dark hair and white skin. The same look on his face that was no doubt on yours.
You didn't need to look at him to tell that he was looking at you. You could feel his eyes, taking in your entire being. It wasn't in a creepy way. More like trying to understand. Maybe, he was looking for the reason as to why you were there. Hoping, even, to see the same reason in you that was in him.
The song that was playing on repeat in your ears played through twice, reaching its second verse, before the man spoke. 'Do you know if the bus is actually coming?'
His question came out a little as a joke; the man, or kid judging from his voice, trying to come across as friendly. He didn't look your way when he asked. He simply kept his head forward. It would have been something that made you feel relaxed, as though he didn't want to feel like he was pressuring you for an answer.
A minute had passed before you answered. You knew it was rude. He wasn't prying or being creepy at all. You had just lost yourself in the moment; enjoying the company that wasn't yours to enjoy, considering the lack of introductions and all. You had just wanted to sit there; savouring the calm and peaceful with some company.
'Should be here soon,' you replied. Your voice was quiet; your tranquility obvious. The stranger still didn't turn to face you, neither you him yet, you could see that there was a ghost of a smile on his lips.
'How long is 'soon'?' he asked; his voice slightly more amused than before.
You sighed; your lips twitching at the corners as you thought of your response. 'A while, apparently.'
The stranger gave a breath of laughter before letting the air return to silence. You could tell that he was more laid-back due to the conversation made, though he didn't attempt to make more. He simply left it as it was; letting the wind brush his hair out of his face.
He pulled out his phone for a brief moment, seeming to debate over something, before placing it back in his pocket. Releasing a deep sigh, he placed his hands on his lap; relaxing and tensing his fingers into a fist a few times before he spoke again, this time, with his face angled towards you.
'Going anywhere special?'
Instead of answering, you shook your head slowly from side to side. On gaining his answer, he nodded in understanding before turning to look away.
'Are you?' you asked quietly.
The stranger quickly turned his head towards you, evidently shocked at getting a response from you despite your reply. 'Not really. Just...' He seemed to toy with his response, probably debating about how much to give away to the stranger sat on a bus bench beside him in the middle of nowhere. 'Just trying to find myself.'
Two bright lights shone down the road, turning both of your attentions to it. Slowly, you leaned towards the ground. Standing up, you pulled your bag up with you. You watched out of the corner of your eye as the stranger did the same.
As you walked towards the stranger, sticking your arm out into the road as the lights drew closer and closer, you turned to face the stranger. There was something about him. Yes, you acknowledged that he was attractive and had this sweet, schoolboy thing about him, but there was something else. Unhappiness behind his eyes, you thought.
'I hope that works out for you,' you said with a small smile before turning to get onto the bus.
You didn't turn around to see if he was getting on behind you. There was a small part of you that hoped he did simply because you enjoyed his company, albeit brief.
Sighing, you walked to the back of the bus; your eyes glazing over the few other people who occupied the front few seats.
You dropped your bag into the isle seat before turning yourself so that you could shimmy past it towards the window seat. You wouldn't have paid any attention to the movement in the corner of your eye if there hadn't been that sliver of hope that it was the stranger.
Looking up slightly, you felt your lips tug themselves into a smile. The stranger placed his large duffle bag next to the window before taking the isle seat; just a few steps away from where your own bag sat.
On noticing your attention, the stranger gave a heartfelt smile. 'I figured that...if nowhere is special, then there would be no point in waiting for another bus.'
You couldn't stop your lips from growing into a larger smile. Thankfully, the bus was as dark as the night sky outside, so the stranger couldn't see your blushing cheeks.
'Don't blame me if you regret this,' you replied, looking down at your chipped nails so as not to come across as the creepy, staring stranger.
The stranger laughed. 'No, this is definitely my fault. After all; it was my choice to follow you.'
You laughed quietly, making sure not to disturb the other passengers. You turned to look at the stranger briefly causing your eyes to almost bug out of your head. There was something about him; something about the way that he looked at you. Not only did you feel comfortable but, you almost felt like, though you didn't know where you were going, you didn't care. Nothing mattered. Just knowing that the stranger was beside you was enough.
**
A few months had passed since being in your new town. You had bought a little flat above the cafe that you worked at and made a few friends at work. But, no one had been a greater friend than Jeremy Gilbert.
He had accepted that you didn't talk much. You didn't need to. He wasn't an overly chatty person, you had come to realise, but he was with you. He could talk for hours about art, or his family and friends back home, or even his favourite film. You didn't care about the subject. You just enjoyed seeing the passion and love in his eyes.
Jeremy had bought a flat across the road from you, just above the local bakery. Every morning, he would walk across the road, hand you your favourite pastry across the counter before taking his already made coffee; something that you always had, lying in wait for his arrival. He would then walk five minutes to the local 'arts and crafts' store before coming back in the evening. He would sit in the large armchair by the front window, watching everyone walk home as he drew in his sketchbook, waiting for you to finish cleaning the place. He would then wait for you to lock up, walk you to your flat where you would watch some sort of Marvel film before proceeding fall asleep on the couch after which, he would carry you to bed, kiss you on the forehead, and tell you that he would see you tomorrow.
It had been a blissful few months. Until he met a girl.
You had never seen her before. You knew she was blonde. The golden kind with ringlets. She would practically skip towards the bakery every morning before walking out with Jeremy a few minutes later; both munching on some form of cake or pastry or whatever Jeremy could get his hands on.
Considering your station at the cafe was on the road side, you could see this every morning. Jeremy walking down the street with his hand in hers; smiling and laughing like you and he used to.
At first, it didn't bother you. You were happy that he had found someone. At least, that's what you had tried to think. Of course, it didn't take long for those long nights of cleaning and locking up to become incredibly lonely. Those nights used to be what you waited for; what got you through the day. The thought of listening to Jeremy's commentary of whatever film you had both picked to watch that night; the way he would pretend to be offended if you didn't laugh at something in the film when he did or if you shrugged your shoulders when something incredible happened.
As the year drew on, you began to wonder if Jeremy had forgotten you. Perhaps those few months together or the bus ride to the town hadn't been enough. Maybe you hadn't been enough.
It had been another boring day when Jeremy walked through the door. You didn't even notice it was him at first. Faces weren't something that you tended to pay attention to in your long days. You waited to take the customers order; not asking, of course; something that everyone had gotten used to.
On realising that the customer was a newbie, you quietly asked what they wanted but, on not receiving an answer, your brows pulled into a frown. Slowly, you lifted your head to see a large bouquet of red roses.
Confusion fluttered through your brain. Perhaps they were for one of your colleagues. They were always getting admirers bringing them flowers and chocolates. Maybe they couldn't see over the bouquet to know that you weren't one of them. But, just as you had turned to beckon them over, a head popped out from behind the roses.
'Surprise?' His questioning tone caused a flutter in your chest. He watched as you tried to form a sentence, a word, anything, but couldn't contain his laughter. 'Okay, that was kind of the reaction I was expecting. Not what I was going for but...'
You watched as his eyes met yours; a smile pulling his lips across his face. 'Come on. I know you wanna say something.'
'Why?'
'Why do I think you want to say something?' At your deadpanned face, Jeremy grinned. 'Because I wanted to surprise you. I know I haven't been around a lot and -'
'Why?'
Jeremy looked slightly shocked before guilt clouded his face. He sighed. 'It's kind of hard to explain... Dinner tomorrow? I promise it will be something besides bread.'
You smiled slightly before nodding in agreement. 'Great. I'll see you this evening. For now... I'm just going to leave these here... Show everyone how much of a great friend I am.'
With a brief smirk, Jeremy turned and left. You could feel your smile falter as you looked at the roses. You didn't want to have this chat. There was something that wasn't right... You could just feel it.
**
The rest of the day couldn't have gone slower. There was a certain jump in your step that had never been there before or, at least if it had, it was more noticeable than before.
You didn't like to think that this new change was because of Jeremy, but every time you looked towards the bouquet of roses, you couldn't help the smile that spread across your face. But this was ridiculous! This change couldn't simply be because Jeremy had started to pay attention to you again. Yet, what if it was?
There had been that little stab of fear when he had asked you to dinner. You knew that his invitation had been out of guilt; a way to explain his actions over the past year. You were glad, you thought. At least you were getting an explanation for everything. Perhaps even an apology, too. Yet, deep down, you knew that there was more. More that you wanted, more that would be said. The problem was, could you face what was to come?
With that little slither of doubt planted in your head, you couldn't focus, especially when the clocked chimed 11pm. You had barely noticed the numbers in the cafe dwindle 'til the only one left was you.
Sighing, you untied your apron as you moved around the counter and towards the front door. With a resounding click, you locked the door before pulling down the blind. Not that that would help. The cafe's walls were mainly windows.
Removing the apron from your head, you sighed once again. You moved to the counter, placing your elbows on the solid surface before lying your head in your hands. What were you doing? You needed to pull yourself together. Not a few hours ago, you were happy, ecstatic even, at the thought of you and Jeremy rekindling your friendship. Yet, in that moment, all you could think about was how easier life was before he came along. Of course, it was much more lonely and less enjoyable but that was the cost you would happily pay for a broken heart.
Was that what this was? You were broken hearted at the thought of Jeremy and another girl? Was that what he had wanted to tell you? That that reason that he hadn't seen you in months, hadn't been your Jeremy was because he belonged to another? You shook your head. Just a silly thought. But, what if it wasn't?
The loud click of the door lock reverberated around the cafe causing you to jump. You turned round in a swift motion, preparing yourself to see some sort of dark character standing in the middle of the room with a knife. You released the breath you were holding as you scanned the room, seeing no one but the empty cafe.
You leant your head back slightly, thanking whatever powers that be that your life wasn't a horror film otherwise your insides would no doubt be splayed about the room by then.
You waited 'til your pulse had returned to normal before moving to place the chairs onto the table. Of course, it didn't stay stable for long.
You couldn't say what it was that made your breath stick in your throat. It could have been the little pool of dark liquid on the floor by the door, which could have easily been coffee but your mind went elsewhere, or the faint sound of breathing behind you, or even the fact that the blind over the door was no longer down. Perhaps it was everything added together.
Either way, you couldn't help the reflex spin that you did to see whoever was behind you, or the scream that had come from nowhere.
You'd like to say that you had seen it coming, that you knew that there was something wrong from the very start yet, you knew that, deep down, it was simply jealousy. This of course, made you despise her even more, with fear somewhere mixed in the middle.
Not more than a metre stood the blonde girl that you had seen Jeremy with. Though there was something wrong with her. It wasn't the blood that was dripping from her mouth or the veins popping out from under her eyes. It was the look in her eyes. The sheer hunger and hatred that clouded everything in front of her.
She didn't have to speak to tell me that this was it for you. She didn't have to come up with her own cheesy horror film one liner. The look was enough for you. She wanted you out of the way. Jeremy was hers. You was simply a means to an end. The one thing in her way.
Maybe you was giving her too much credit. Maybe she didn't know about your friendship with Jeremy and she simply wanted to kill something. But, the blood on her lips was enough to tell you that this wasn't a simple kill. There was more to it than that.
There was already too much fear inside you to let you be afraid of the fangs that dropped towards her bottom lip. You were running on adrenaline. You couldn't think about something as trivial as -
You didn't see it coming. The fist came out of nowhere with speed you couldn't even imagine. The pain was excruciating. Not only did your face feel like it had been broken in about a thousand different places but, the force of the punch had launched you back into the tables behind you. Something was definitely broken. There had to be. This wasn't like the films where one could get launched through a window and off a building and only come out with a few scrapes.
You had to blink a hundred times in order to get rid of the spots clouding your vision. You half expected the pain to come suddenly, yet nothing came. Maybe she had hit you so hard that it had damaged your brain and your pain receptors. Or, maybe it was the adrenaline rush. Of course, these thoughts were dispelled when she stomped hard on your shin, causing something to snap. That's when the pain truly kicked in.
You thought your throat was going to burst from the scream that erupted from your body. The women looked pleased with herself; her heeled boot slowly pushing down harder and harder on your already broken bone. You had never seen such a sadistic look on someones face before. Despite all the horror films you had seen with devilish demons and serial killers, you had never seen anything so terrifying in your life. Her face was the true epitome of horror.
The women slowly bent down; a sadistic smile etched on her face as her eyes drank in the chaos she had caused. Once she was level with your eyes, she reached a cold hand to your cheek; brushing strands of sweat drenched hair from your face. 'What did he see in you?' she mused to herself; her eyes showing confusion.
For a brief moment, everything stopped; like the calm before the storm. There was no pain, no sounds, nothing. You didn't know why she didn't just kill you. You didn't know how she could bust your shin like that or punch you halfway across the room but you couldn't think of that. At that very moment, you had to try and calm yourself down from the thought of what was to come. That, or try to fight your way out. But, that seemed unlikely. Whoever this woman was, she had powers beyond comprehension. There was no way that you, an ordinary human, was going to win against this... super villain.
'Oh well,' the woman said; her eyes moving from drinking you in to your own. You didn't want her barbaric face with prominent veins and hungry eyes to be the last thing you saw, so you closed your own. You knew it was a cowards way out; the heroes of films always being able to stare down their killer until the final moments but you weren't like that. This wasn't some horror film. This was murder. One human killing another.
There was a brief moment, before you closed your eyes where you thought that you had seen the woman's teeth grow into fangs. But, perhaps the adrenaline had done something to you. It was impossible, wasn't it? There were no such things -
The sound of whooshing filled the air. In the space of a second, the game changed. There was what looked like an arrow protruding from the woman's chest. There was blood coming dripping onto your leg; the one that wasn't broken. The woman had a look of horror and shock on her face, like she dint expect what had just happened to her. In the next second, the woman had slumped onto the floor, her skin growing more pale than before.
Your eyes shot up to see the figure standing off in the dark. There were words on your lips; you didn't know what but there was something. You had to say something, anything. Of course, that was when your adrenaline decided to dissipate, leaving you in absolute pain.
Despite the darkness inside the cafe, you could see your name on his lips; the sheer panic on his face as he ran towards you, begging you to not die and telling you that everything would -
**
You didn't wake up like the protagonists did in the films. You didn't suddenly open your eyes to the beeping of the heart monitor beside you and see all your friends, including your lover, surrounding your bed. You woke up to the faint chatter of a doctor and a nurse by your door; staring at your stationary body over and over in examination and, what appeared to be pity.
'Ah, you have risen,' said the male doctor, quickly dismissing the nurse before walking to your bedside.
You wanted to frown at his choice of words but didn't have the energy. Instead, you lay in silence as you listened to the doctor, who you learned was Doctor Callahan, explain your condition. You almost winced at the thought of how much a shattered shin, a dislocated jaw and a fractured elbow; something that you couldn't quite believe, would cost you. On sensing where your mind was going, the doc said not to worry. But, of course he would say that. He wasn't in your position; injury or money wise.
With a reassuring smile, he said that he would leave you for a few minutes to alert your 'friend' who had been hanging around since you had come in. You smiled and gave your thanks before releasing a deep sigh as you watched his stark, white coat leave the room.
True, you were both mentally and physically tired but you didn't want to sleep. Your mind was trying to wrap itself around everything that had happened. You knew that a woman had come into the cafe late at night, whacked you across the face before breaking your shin. But how? She wasn't that much bigger than you. There wasn't any way that this woman... No, not any woman. It was Jeremy's woman. Had she not mentioned a man just before she was going to kill you? And, what had happened to her face? One moment, she looked like a normal, psychotic woman; not that you had seen many to compare her to. The next moment; her veins were popping out of her face. Was that part of your imagination? If so, what on earth possessed you to imagine her having fangs? Was that normal?
Your thoughts stopped in their tracks when Jeremy walked through the door. He looked shattered, like he had been up for the past week. The relief on his face as his eyes met yours melted away the tiredness, though.
'Hey,' he breathed; all the tension running away from his body.
You opened your mouth to say something but his swift moment to your bedside made the words stick in your throat.
'God, I thought I had almost lost you,' he muttered, almost embarrassed to say those words as he slumped into the chair beside your bed. He gave a breath of relief mixed some form of laughter. He placed his elbows on his knees before placing his head in his hands. 'I'm sorry.'
'Why?' you wheezed. That seemed to be the only thing you could ask him anymore.
''Why?'' He laughed before raising his head; his eyes locking onto yours. 'Because I did this to you.' On seeing your confusion, he continued. 'She was after you because she saw you as a threat.'
'I didn't think most girls killed the competition.'
Jeremy laughed before a look of horror and disappointment covered his face. This was the moment when he explained everything.
You knew a brief outline of his past before he met you at the bus stop that night. But you never knew everything. He explained about the vampires first, before going onto explaining his history and recent transformation into a hunter. It was a lot to take in, at first. Then everything started to make sense. He had been hunting the blonde woman, a vampire, for a while. She seemed to not know who he was, considering his home town was far away, so he took the opportunity to get close to her, to learn if there was a nest of vampire in town, which there were. He tried to distance himself away from you in hopes that she wouldn't come after you if everything went sour. That, of course, didn't work.
'I was so scared when she left the flat... She had seen this picture of us both together and... I guess she made the connections. I don't know whether she targeted you because you were... You were close to a hunter or because she... I don't know.
I was terrified when I saw her in the cafe with you. I had half a mind to rip her head from her body when I saw what she did to you. I couldn't... I didn't want...' You watched as he struggled to speak, not knowing whether or not to help or leave him to it. Luckily, you didn't have the energy to help so you went with the latter.
Jeremy lifted his head from where it hung slightly; raising his eyes to meet yours. 'I couldn't lose you... I can't... I can't live without the one person I love.'
Perhaps it was the fact that there were no more drugs being pumped into your body which caused the tears. You'd like to think that it was Jeremy's words and the way that he gently held your hand as he waited for you to say something, not that you knew what to say.
You turned your hand so that you held his, giving him a reassuring smile.