Kitten

Carefully prying my eyes open a minscule amount, I saw light streaming in. I groaned in annoyance. Time to re-live May 10th, 1994 once again. At least I wasn't alone. Yes, a raging sociopath that killed most of his siblings doesn't sound like the best company in the world. However, I've known Kai ever since we were little, and I know he's a good, genuine person underneath it all.
Kai has built all of these walls around him. He built them because of what he went through. He always felt like an outcast, like his family didn't love him, and he was treated like gum on the bottom of someone's shoe. The fact that he was born without powers made him feel even more like an outsider. He built those walls high because he feels like he was never loved, that nobody ever cared about him. My mission is to break down those walls, and show him that there are people that care about him, like me. I was willing to do anything to break those walls. I was going to do it eventually, no matter how long it took.
Kai and I were currently in my home in Portland. We were living here because I knew he wouldn't want to be burdened with the memories in his home. The whole reason I was in Kai's prison world with him is because I tried to stop it. I tried to stop Jo and the coven from their plan, and they sent me away with him. My reasoning behind it... Kai has always been there for me. Through thick and thin. I was an only child and my parents hated me, so in a way I was similar to him. He was always there for me, and that was my turn to be there for him.
Rolling onto my back, I tossed the covers off of me and headed into the bathroom. I brushed my teeth, took a shower and got dressed.
After I got dressed, I headed downstairs and into the kitchen. Kai was sitting at the kitchen table, fiddling with something. I took a closer look and saw it was the ascendant. Otherwise known as, our key to getting out of here. It was really no use, considering the fact that we need a Bennett witch to do the spell. I would never tell him that, however.
He looked up from it and smiled. "Morning, kitten."
Kitten is the nickname he gave me when we were little. I would always crawl around and meow and pretend to be a cat. He started calling me kitten, and it just sort of stuck.
"Good morning." I smiled in return, walking towards the fridge. "Did you eat breakfast yet?"
"No, why?" He questioned, turning around briefly to look at me.
"I'll make something. What do you want? Eggs? Cereal? Waffles?" I listed off a bunch of breakfast items, while looking through the fridge.
Kai abruptly stood up and walked towards me, putting his hand over mine and shut the fridge door. "Umm, you're not making anything."
My eyebrows furrowed in confusion. "I do every other day...."
"Yeah, well not today." Kai responded with a smile. "I've been keeping track of the days."
"And?"
"Happy birthday, kitten." He smiled, causing my mouth to open for a moment in surprise.
"I can't believe I didn't even know it was my birthday." I said in astonishment. That just goes to show what you can forget by re-living the same day over and over again.
"Yeah, so sit down, cause I will be making breakfast today." Kai responded with a smile that made my heart fultter.
——
"So, birthday girl. What shall we do today?" Kai asked while washing the dishes we had used for breakfast.
"I don't know. I didn't have a clue it was my birthday until like an hour ago, so nothing I guess." I giggled, thinking of how stupid that sentence sounded.
Kai smiled to himself at my response and I couldn't help but smile too. Whenever I'm with him, I completely forget about what he did. To me, what he did wasn't the most ideal thing in the world, but I don't hate him for it. I know why he did it, and truth be told, I know 100% why he would want to do it.
Just then, I started thinking about my own childhood. My parents hated me. They wanted a son, not a daughter. When my mom found out she couldn't have any more kids, that's when it got the worst. My father turned to alcohol, and my mother often slept around to relieve the pain. It was like I didn't exist. Another way they relieved their pain was through me. They hit me, kicked me, punched me, slapped me, one time going as far as burning me.
Without another word, I stood up and walked out of the kitchen and into the living room. Sitting down on the couch, I could practically see the scene play out in front of me. Lifting up my shirt, I ran my fingertips lightly over the burn mark on my side. Upon hearing footsteps, I quickly pulled my shirt back down.
The couch dipped next to me and I felt a warm hand grab mine. It comforted me, and it gave me reassurance that he was here. Without being able to stop it, I started audibly sobbing. Kai wrapped his arms around me and pulled me close to him, rubbing my back comfortingly.
"Don't think about it. Thinking about it makes it worse." He whispered into my ear. I presumed that he was speaking those words not only to me, but to himself as well.
"I hate it." I said through my tears, referring to my burn mark. "It's always there. It's a constant reminder. I can't do anything without being reminded of it because its always there."
Kai tilted my chin up to look him in the eye. Using his thumb to wipe away my tears, he said, "Things like scars and burns are a part of us. Visible or not, they make us who we are. We may not like it, but it's there. It always will be." He whispered the last part.
After a few more minutes of comfortable silence, he spoke. "Well, I don't know about you but I think that's enough crying for today."
Laughing, I nodded my head and wiped my face clean of any stray tears. "Happy birthday to me." I said sarcastically, causing Kai to laugh and my heart to flutter, once again.
"Wanna play hide and seek?" He asked out of the blue, making me laugh in confusion. "It always cheered you up when we were little. You hide, I'll find."
"Okay fine." I responded, standing up and smiling. "But I'm gonna win." I said confidently. "Don't look, cheater." I said, causing him to wink at me and then cover his eyes with his hands.
As quietly as I could, I tiptoed upstairs all the while looking to make sure Kai didn't cheat. Once I was at the top of the stairs, I darted into my room and shut the door behind me. As quickly as I could, I wedged myself under my bed. As soon as I got under there, I heard his footsteps coming upstairs. I covered my mouth with my hand to keep from laughing.
He opened a couple of other doors before finally opening mine. "Don't think I won't find you, kitten." Kai said teasingly, causing a pleasurable shiver to course through my body. I could only see his boots as he stalked towards my bathroom and inside.
Taking this as my opportunity, I turned the other way and crawled out from under my bed. I hastily hurried to the door, but just as my hand touched the doorknob I was stopped. Kai's strong arms wrapped around my waist and pulled me back. I laughed as he gently tossed me onto the end of my bed and laid on top of me.
I stopped laughing at that point and faintly blushed at our compromising position. As I looked into his ocean blue eyes, I felt like my heart was about to burst. I'm sure he could hear it by now.
"You broke the rules, kitten." He said with a smirk on his face. I laughed quietly but didn't respond. His eyes bore into mine and I found myself unable to move or look anywhere else.
He brought his hands to my cheeks and stroked them softly. I nearly melted at the softness of his hands and I found myself imagining things that made me blush fiercely. Finally, he bent down and brushed his bottom lip across mine momentarily before fully kissing me. Goosebumps erupted across my skin. I wrapped my hand around the back of his neck to pull him closer. I felt him smile into the kiss, and that only drove me more insane.
He pulled back slowly, and I opened my eyes to look at him. Without thinking, I pulled him back down and feverishly connected our lips again. I bit his lower lip lightly, causing him to groan slightly and a pleasant warmth to course through my stomach at the sound.
After a moment, he broke away and placed his lips on my jawline. He peppered kisses along the entire length before trailing down to my neck. I tilted my head to the side and closed my eyes. He kissed all around attempting to find my sweet spot. As soon as his lips trailed over it, I shuddered.
"Kai." I groaned straight into his ear. He smirked against my neck and feverishly attacked that spot over and over again. He bit down on my skin lightly, causing a small gasp to erupt from my mouth. I knew he would leave a mark, but I truly didn't care at that point. While he did that, his hand trailed along my bare thigh.
In an attempt to drive him insane, I wrapped my legs around his waist and pulled him into me. I smiled as I felt his groan vibrate against my neck. He pulled away from my neck and I turned my head to look at him.
"Are you trying to kill me?" He asked with a certain glint in his eye.
"You started it." I responded breathlessly. He smiled in response. Right then and there, I knew I had to say it. I would kill myself I didn't say it.
"Kai... I love you." I said quietly, but I knew for sure he heard it. I looked away because if he didn't feel the same, I didn't want to be embarrassed.
He took a hold of my chin and made me turn to look at him. "I love you too, kitten."
My heart leaped out of my chest. He loved me. He said it back. Without another word, he connected our lips once again. This time, it felt different, because I knew for sure that I loved him, and he loved me.
Kai pulled away, but only to grasp the bottom of my shirt and lift it over my head. Suddenly, I didn't feel ashamed of my burn mark. Because Kai made me feel okay about it. I feel okay about it. Not too long after, he pulled my shorts down my legs and tossed them to the side. I was left in my matching black bra and panties. With him fully clothed, I felt very exposed and not very confident.
Kai must have noticed my change in behavior because he planted a light kiss to my lips. "You're beautiful." He assured me. "God, I love you." He said before planting another small but sweet kiss on my lips.
I tilted my head back as he trailed his lips down my throat. He kissed each of my collarbones before trailing his lips down to my stomach. While there, he made sure to give a few sweet and loving kisses to the burn mark on my side.
After that, he came back up to my lips and placed a few light kisses on them. "Tonight is all about you, okay. I'll make you forget about everything." He assured me, kissing my lips over and over again. "Except for the fact that I love you."
—-
My head rested on Kai's bare chest as his hand rested on my bare thigh. I was wearing the shirt he was wearing earlier. He pressed a soft kiss to my forehead. I smiled and lifted my head from his chest to place a kiss on his lips.
"Happy birthday, kitten." Kai said, making me smile in response. I rested my head back on his chest and closed my eyes.
Best birthday ever.