Untitled #2

'I might only be a mere human but I can tell when you're watching me, you know,' I laughed, biting my lip as I flipped the streaks of bacon in the pan; scratching my bare leg with my foot.
'Is it a crime to watch someone as stunning as you swinging your hips like that every morning?' he whispered into my ear causing me to shiver.
'Well, when you put it like that...' I said, placing the spatula down on the side before turning round, coming face to chest with Damon who was looking down at me with a ghost of a smirk and lustful eyes. 'It sounds like you're blaming me for all your stalking tendencies.'
'Like I said, it's the hips,' he whispered, leaning down to brush a kiss against my lips. He pulled away with a slight frown; his smirk turning into a grin. 'You know, you can't snack whilst you cook,' he said, swiping his thumb across his lips before placing it in his mouth; a wicked look in his eyes.
I felt my eyes widen as my mouth dropped open slightly. Damon tilted his head. 'Is that expression for the accusation or how turned on you are right now?'
My eyes widened even more before I was suddenly lifted onto the nearby counter; Damon situated between my legs. 'Damon...' I laughed as he began to pepper kisses along my neck and collar bone. 'We can't! Not here-'
'Yes, please don't do that near the food. People actually have to eat things other than blood round here.' I jumped away from Damon who simply groaned in annoyance.
'Don't you have some place to be? Say, Portland?' Damon said, gritting his teeth as he moved away from me to the side, seeming to shield me from Kai.
'Well,' started Kai before he hopped onto the kitchen table; his arms on his knees. 'As you know, I've recently merged with my brother, God rest his soul, meaning that I've acquired...feelings.' Once the word slipped from his mouth, he gave a visible shudder. 'Now I can't seem to leave this crappy mystery town. Get it? MysticFalls? Mystery town?' He looked at both Damon and me with a grin like a child; me rolling my eyes whilst I bit my tongue to hold my smile, whilst Damon looked like he was ready to rip open his throat. 'Anyway, like I said, I can't seem to leave all because of these feelings that just overflow and take over my every thought-'
'Get to the point,' Damon huffed.
Kai tilted his head slightly to the side so that I was in his line of view. 'What is it that you see in him, again?'
'Kai...' I said warning tone though it came out amused instead. Kai simply grinned at me before winking.
'I can't leave my best friend,' he finished, jumping up off the table before coming close to me and Damon. 'After all; she is the one who saved me from perdition.'
He leaned toward me to give me a kiss on the cheek before swiping the three strips of bacon from the pan; his mouth making an 'o' shape due to the meat burning his fingers.
'Great. Well, I think she already knows how grateful you are,' Damon said cautiously as we both watched Kai lick his fingers from the grease of the bacon. 'Now you can leave.' Once he spoke, he turned to wrap his arms around my waist, giving me a lingering kiss on my lips before helping me down off the counter. 'I've got a special day planned for my girl and I don't need anyone ruining it.'
I felt myself blush as Damon looked down at me with passionate eyes, making me feel that it was hardly appropriate to be giving me, let alone anyone, those looks whilst in the company of another.
Though Kai couldn't see what with Damon's back turned to him, he still gave a loud noise of disgust. 'Ugh, like, seriously? You're going to do all the mushiness here? Where people eat?'
I could tell by the way that Damon's jaw clenched that he was going to break something if he wasn't careful. 'Hey,' I said, placing my hands on either side of his face so that he would look down at me and not at the floor which he was trying to kill with his stare. 'Just ignore him,' I whispered. 'Elena' will be over soon so we can just make her babysit Kai.'
'Why's Elena coming?' Damon asked in a hushed tone though it still couldn't hide the angst in his tone.
'Because I asked her to...' I said slowly, not knowing why Damon was acting like that. 'Is that okay-'
'Psh. 'Course it's fine,' he said, pulling away slightly causing me to frown. 'Hey,' he said, tapping on my forehead whilst he spoke. 'Don't frown. That'll create lines on your face and make you look old,' he said with a smirk.
'Says you,' I scoffed causing him to roll his eyes.
'I need to get some stuff from my room. I'll be back in a sec.' He gave Kai one more glare before leaving the kitchen in a blink.
'Wow,' Kai breathed as though he had been holding his breath forever. I rolled my eyes before turning back to the stove, placing more streaks of bacon into the pan. 'That was the single most grotesque thing I have ever had to endure,' he laughed as he walked up behind me. 'And I've seen some pretty gross things-'
'Why do you have to be like that?' I huffed, dropping the spatula hard on the counter before turning round only to find that his face was only a few inches above mine.
He tilted his head to the side; an innocent look on his face. 'Like what?'
'Like a jealous ex!' I shouted, storming away to the other side of the kitchen. 'You just constantly interfere whenever Damon and I are having a moment to ourselves!'
'Be thankful I don't interrupt during any other moments,' he said with a smirk as he leant against the counter; his arms crossed over his chest.
'Enough games, Kai,' I said in a deadpan tone, causing Kai to drop his smirk as well as his arms. 'Damon's right; shouldn't you be back in Portland now that you're the infamous leader of the Gemini Coven?'
'I-I thought you would want me around...' he muttered; his eyes cast on the ground in a thoughtful way. 'I mean, we had so much fun in the prison world-'
'Exactly, Kai; had!' I shot. 'Those times have been and gone! I know you and I have had a laugh since we've been back but we have to get back to our own lives now.'
'And what exactly is mine, huh?' he spat, taking a few steps towards me. 'Watching you strut around the fucking place in nothing but a shirt of Damon's, looking like whore? Do you even know that he's been seeing Elena behind your back?'
I felt my mouth fall open as I watched Kai try to control his sudden outburst. Suddenly, as though his feelings had just been turned on, his face fell. 'Oh my God. I'm so-
'Don't you dare tell me you're sorry,' I said in a hushed tone; my gaze fixed on the floor as I tried to hold back the tears.
'God, sweetheart, I'm-' He reached for me but I backed away, banging harshly into the chair behind me.
'Don't call me sweetheart!' I shouted; a lone tear falling down my face. 'God, Damon was right about you. You just manipulate people and lie to hurt them. Damon would never cheat on me!'
I ran from the kitchen and down the halls to the lounge where the large Salvatore fireplace filled the room. As my bare feet padded down the wooden corridor, I tried to make sense of why Kai would say that, of all things.
I had been away from Damon in Kai's prison world for a couple of months and through that time, we had made a connection but, nothing had been done. Were there a few moments where something could have happened? Yes. But we had grown so close to each other that we didn't need anything to be sexual in order to enjoy each others comfort. We had fun playing games and just talking.
I would be lying if I said that I wasn't worried during my time in the prison world. Not because I didn't trust Damon or Elena but I didn't trust them together. There was history there, even a few sparks in the present but, everyone ignored them. Yet, I knew that if Damon and Elena both thought that I was dead, then something would happen. Whether it did, I didn't know. No one had told me otherwise. But, would they? Would they still have carried it on when I had come back?
Turning into the lounge answered my question. Elena was pushed up against the wall with her legs wrapped around Damon whilst he attacked her mouth. With his.
Despite their vampire hearing, I don't think they heard me come in. They didn't stop what they were doing, not until Kai's boots on the wooden floor came from a few feet behind me.
Damon was the first one to notice. He dropped Elena like she was a rag doll before running towards me; a look of horror and self-disappointment on his face. I remember he tried to lower his head in order to catch my eye but I just continued to stare at the floor.
I think Elena screamed at one point, probably due to the Latin words Kai chanted from my side before grabbing my hand. I don't think Damon tried to stop him as he pulled me up the stairs and into my room; slamming the door shut with a flick of his hand.
He kept chanting my name; his hands resting on my cheeks as his thumbs wiped away the slow descent of my tears, trying to get me out of the trance I was in, but nothing worked. It was only when he said Damon's name that my eyes suddenly focused. 'You knew...' I breathed; my gaze still on the floor but my trance broken.
Kai sat in front of me with sad eyes; his gaze falling to the ground before he stood up to sit beside me. 'I didn't know how to tell you.'
'So you just came out and said it?'
He sighed as he shuffled as close as he could to me; the heat contained by his jean clad leg warming up my bare one. 'I never meant it to come out like that. I was angry-'
'Why?'
'Because I was hurt.'
'So you decided to hurt me as well?' I asked incredulously; my eyes suddenly lifting before I turned my head towards him. 'I've done nothing to you Kai and you repay me like this?!' I jumped up from my seat on the bed, taking a few steps away so that I could take him all in.
'I told you, I didn't mean it to come out,' he sighed angrily, dragging a sweaty hand down his face in exasperation.
'How long have you known?' Kai was silent, looking at the floor. 'Kai. Tell me how long you've known.'
'Since we've been back...' he whispered suddenly lifting his eyes to mine which were wide in shock and betrayal not only from Damon but from Kai for not telling me. 'Look, I know-'
'Why didn't you tell me?' I asked in a quiet voice. 'What, because you thought it would be funny to see me give him puppy dog eyes whilst he was too interested in my friend?!'
Suddenly, Kai sprang up; his face hard but his eyes full of emotion. 'I didn't want to hurt your feelings!' I gave an angry sigh, turning my back on him as he continued. 'I knew you would act the way you did in the kitchen if you heard it from me so I waited for Damon or Elena to tell you themselves! I mean, do you really want to hear that your boyfriend has been cheating on you whilst you've been locked away in a prison for five months? I wouldn't!'
'This isn't about you, Kai! It never was!' I shouted, turning around to see he was only a few feet away from me with sad eyes.
'In case you hadn't noticed, sweetheart, you're making this about me.'
'What?'
'We've been up here arguing about what you saw downstairs and yet, you're not focusing your anger on your cheating idiot of a boyfriend, now probably ex, but on me and not telling you.'
'Well I...I....' I felt my gaze fall as I considered what he had said. 'Yeah, well, you were supposed to be my best friend, Kai, and you didn't tell me.' I turned around again, this time, distracting myself with the falling snow outside.
'I had a reason?' he asked in a quiet voice.
'Because you're a sociopath who doesn't care about anyone but themselves?'
'Hey!' Suddenly, my arm was being pulled so that I spun round; my face a few inches from Kai's chest. 'I care about you! I didn't want you to get hurt! You know that. You know me.'
'No, Kai, I know the old you. The part that does everything with only yourself in mind!'
'Okay, so maybe I was thinking of me-'
I scoffed. 'As expected.'
Kai looked down at me with piercing eyes, holding my stare as he tried to release his anger. He held up a fist and, for a moment, I felt my heart jump. Instead, he shook it slightly before turning away, walking towards the door. 'Are you serious?' I shouted, causing him to stop mid-step. 'You're leaving? What, you can't handle a simple argument where you have to admit that I'm right? That you did this all for your own creepy game? That you-'
'I did it because I didn't want to see you get hurt!' he shouted; his back still towards me. 'I didn't want to see you broken...' He slowly turned round with sad eyes. 'You could do so much better than him. You deserve so much better.'
I scoffed again. 'Yeah? Like who? Stefan?' He continued to look at me with sad eyes.
'You might have been angry at Damon but you were focusing all your rage onto me.'
'That's because what you did was unbelievably crappy-'
'Come on, sweetheart,' he said; his old smile creeping back into place as he took a few steps towards me. 'You don't really care that he's cheated on you.'
'Of course I bloody care!' I said; feeling myself back away as he met my steps.
'Not as much as you believe. The only time I've ever seen you this angry was when we were in the prison world-'
'Stop it,' I said, feeling my back hit the hard wall. I knew the second he mentioned the prison world what he was going to use against me and I had no intention of letting him say it.
'We were sitting on the couch in the boarding house-'
'Kai, enough,' I pleaded.
'I held you in my arms whilst you cried about how you missed your home-'
'Stop...' I breathed; a few tears growing in my eyes.
He stopped just shy of a few inches away. 'You looked me in the eyes before you leant in and-' Just as he had leant in, I sprang away; a sudden feeling of anger pulsing through my veins. He looked at me with a smug smile on his face. 'Did exactly that.'
'I don't know what you're trying to achieve-'
'I'm trying to show you how you truly feel! Why you aren't as upset about Damon as you should be!'
'And how do I truly feel then?'
Kai laughed quietly; his gaze dropping to the floor before coming back to me. 'You and I both know the answer to that. There were so many times that something could have happened-'
'But it didn't. End of.'
'Come on, sweetheart. Just tell me the truth!'
'Why do you care?' I shouted.
'It's not that big of a deal-'
'That is the reason I can't tell you how much I like you!' I shouted. The air suddenly went still as both Kai and I tried to catch our breaths.
I felt my mouth open and close to say something, anything, but we both stood there looking at each other. It was only a few seconds silence before Kai grabbed my face and pulled it to his; our lips crashing together.
He pushed me back so that my back hit hard against the wall; his teeth biting at my lip before slipping his tongue inside to meet my own. As I went to wrap my arms around his neck, he took them, pinning them above me as he continued his assault against my mouth.
Kai pulled back slightly; both of us breathing harshly against each others faces. I slowly opened my eyes to see him staring down at me, watching and waiting for my reaction. He slowly moved his face so that his nose stroked mine; his small smirk showing his teasing attitude.
I felt myself begin to stare causing his smirk to grow before he placed his lips back on mine; less forceful than before but still just as passionate.
As Kai's lips began trail down my jaw line to my collar bone; nipping and biting my neck as he went, my head fell back against the wall, closing my eyes as I enjoyed the release from my recent emotions.
Once he reached the button of Damon's shirt, he looked up at me with hunger in his eyes. Slowly, he brought his face back to mine; his released hands resting lightly on my hips underneath the shirt, drawing circles onto my skin. 'We should probably stop,' he breathed into my ear.
'Why?' I whispered.
He laughed quietly as he began to place feather light kisses against my neck. 'Because you've just been put through shit and your friends, as well as Damon, are downstairs.'
I brought his face towards mine, placing a gentle kiss on his lips causing him to frown, before I smiled at him. 'Since when do you care about an audience?'
Kai smirked as he cast his gaze downwards before meeting mine again. 'What about everything you've just been put through?'
'Like you said, it was never about Damon anyway.' My smile was a conformation. Kai smashed his lips against mine once again though this time, his kisses were slower, more meaningful. He slowly lifted me up as though I weighed nothing, urging me to wrap my legs around his waist, before turning us around, walking towards the bed.
He gently placed me down; his lips never leaving mine, as he situated himself above me. As his fingers worked on the buttons of the shirt, mine tugged and pulled at his jacket and t-shirt; clothes flying all over the room.
It didn't take much time for both of us to end up completely naked, save for the chain around Kai's neck which caused goose bumps to form in its path due to its light touch. I felt myself release a moan as Kai left a trail of kisses leading from between my breasts to my naval. He smirked against my skin as he placed his mouth at the entrance of my core; his tongue eliciting even louder moans than before.
Sex with Kai wasn't anything like sex with Damon. For starters; it was more passion and care than simply lust. I'd even use the term 'make love'. It wasn't awkward or filled with fumbling around. One minute he was on top, bringing me to the point of euphoria whilst another minute was me in his position before he sat up, holding me flush against him as we screamed into the night.
The biggest difference between Kai and Damon was the end. Normally, I would end up falling asleep whilst Damon went to have a shower. With Kai, he pulled me so that my chest was on top of his, my head just under his, and we just lay there; his lips peppering kisses on my forehead as he stroked my hair as we both watched the snow fall to the ground.
'I can't believe we spent five months watching reruns of X-Files when we could have been doing this,' Kai muttered.
'Hey,' I said, lifting my head slightly. 'I like that show.'
He leant back slightly with a hurt look on his face. 'Are you saying that sex with me is worse than X-Files repeats?'
'No! I just-' He captured my lips with his before I could continue my argument. I sighed as he pulled away smiling at me before I placed my head back on his chest. 'I can't believe I expected everything to go back to the way it was...' I mumbled. 'I mean, I'd been away for five months-'
'Hey, hey, hey,' Kai said, taking my chin between his fingers before tilting it so that I could see his face. 'Don't think like that, alright? We've been back for two weeks and in that time you're telling me that he didn't have a moment to tell you?' I looked at with a sad expression but nodded in agreement.
'I guess you're right. Still, I can't believe we've been back for two weeks. Have you missed anything?'
Kai gave a sad laugh as he placed his free arm round me. 'Sex.' I slapped him in the chest causing him grunt through his laughter. 'Okay, I'd probably say the weather. It sucks having sunny days and eclipses for eighteen straight years. I've kind of missed the rain and thunderstorms and...'
I blocked out the rest of what Kai was saying as my eyes widened in thought. I sprung up in bed, not caring that I was bare-chested, as I looked down at Kai with excitement. 'What?' he asked in confusion and worry.
You've looked outside...' I said, biting my lip in anticipation for what he would say to my proposal.
'Yes, that's what windows are for.'
I rolled my eyes, grabbing the sheet as I jumped from the bed, stumbling towards the window. 'It's snowing.'
'That's normally what happens when it's cold and during winter and-'
'Kai!' I shouted causing Kai to stop midsentence with a small smile on his lips. 'You just said you missed different types of weather! This is a perfect opportunity!'
He rolled his eyes as he got out of bed and walked towards me. 'Yes but that doesn't mean I want to leave this lovely bedroom with this stunning girl,' he said as he wrapped his arms around me. 'Who is currently naked,' he whispered with a smirk causing me to blush slightly.
'This might not happen again for weeks!'
'I've waited eighteen years, I'm pretty sure I can wait a little more.' As he bent down to kiss me, I wiggled out of his grip, stumbling as I walked backwards towards my wardrobe.
'Come on, Kai! Just this once! It'll be fun, I promise!' Kai looked at me with raised brows as I crossed my arms. 'I'll go without you and then where will you be?'
'In bed waiting for you to return and make up for all the time we've lost,' he said with a wink.
I rolled my eyes before dropping the sheet as I picked out the warmest clothes I owned. 'Whatever. Be a buzz kill. I don't care.'
Suddenly, arms were wrapped around my waist; Kai's head resting lightly on my shoulder. 'If I do this for you...'
'We won't leave this bedroom for a week.' I turned round in his arms, mirroring his smirk. 'Deal?'
*
I don't think, in all the time I knew him, I had ever seen Kai change that fast. Considering that it had already started to get very cold when Kai came over that afternoon, he was already prepared with a thick coat and winter boots so, naturally, he got ready before me.
Once we were changed, we ran down the stairs like little kids at Christmas, only stopping to say 'hi' to Stefan, who informed us that Damon and Elena had left soon after we had found them and said they wouldn't be back until next week, before running out into the already thick snow.
I remember my face lighting up as I looked up at the sky, letting the snowflakes kiss my face as they fell. I laughed as I kicked the snow up into the air with my boots, laughing even more when the snow resting on a branch above me fell onto my head.
Noticing that Kai wasn't beside me, I spun round, seeing the witch stand just a couple of metres away with a smile tugging at the corners of his lips. 'You okay?' I asked; concern taking over the enjoyment.
Kai continued to stare at me; his eyes never waving once. As he walked towards me, his smile grew. 'Kai...?' I asked warily before he carefully took my face in his gloved hands, bending his head to place a warm kiss on my lips; a snowflake that was stuck on mine quickly melting away at the heat.
Once I had slowly opened my eyes, I looked up at Kai with furrowed brows. 'What was that for?' I asked in a quiet voice.
'Everything,' he said, matching my tone.
I laughed quietly as he wrapped his arms around my waist. 'Okay...Do you want to be a bit more specific?' I asked, wrapping my own arms around his neck; standing on the tips of my toes to make it easier for me.
'I said what I meant. It was for everything. Like, enduring me whilst we were in the prison world,' he said, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear.
'Well, it did help that you didn't try to gut me like your siblings,' I laughed but, on noticing the sincerity in his eyes, quickly stopped.
'I'm serious. For staying with me through those five months, for making that time there the most fun I've had in years, even when I wasn't in the prison world. For letting me stay by you when we came back despite me trying to kill most of your friends.' He pulled me closer so that his face was only a few inches away from mine. 'For making me get my emotions back.'
'That was because of your merge with Luke. That wasn't to do with me.'
'But I wouldn't care as much if it wasn't for you.' He leant his forehead against mine as he continued. 'I wouldn't know what love felt like if it wasn't for you.'
At his words, I felt my mouth fall open slightly. I tried to say something but nothing came to my lips, so Kai carried on. 'You mean so much to me and I know I've hurt you in the past but, I want you to know that no matter what happens from now until the day we die, I love you. You've made me who I am today, sweetheart, and I owe you my life for that.'
I felt a warm tear fall down my face as I looked into his eyes, trying to see if he was joking but there was only pure emotion there. 'You're...' I cleared my throat before I continued. 'You're serious?'
'Well, it would be a pretty mean joke if I wasn't,' he laughed quietly. 'I know you might not feel the same way but-'
'I do,' I breathed.
Kai looked down at me with hopeful eyes. 'Yeah?'
'Well, it would be a pretty mean joke if I was lying,' I said with a smile. We both laughed before Kai planted a sweet kiss on my lips, pulling my body tighter against his. 'You know, if your family is still after you, they'll probably come after me now.'
'I'm not going to let anyone lay a finger on you, okay? I promise I'll keep you safe from anyone.'
'Okay,' I breathed.
Of course, though he was the leader of the Gemini Coven, he couldn't keep me protected forever, and certainly not from anyone.
*
It didn't take his siblings and his father long to realise that I was Kai's weakness. Despite his sudden empathetic feelings, Kai's father still felt that he was a threat to the coven and to the rest of the world. That's why they had made it their mission for the next two months to find a way to take away his powers, and therefore his leadership, and pass it onto someone else.
I didn't know how I had ended up on a large alter in what appeared to be a crypt in the old graveyard but when I awoke with a splitting headache to the sound of Latin chanting from all around me, I began to panic.
As I tried to move my hands and feet, I found that they were bound to the stone table beneath me. 'What's going on?' I asked in a panicked voice as the mantra filled my ears. I couldn't move my head much to see who was doing the chanting but I could take a wild guess.
The Parker family had made it very clear that they were after Kai. That's why we had taken sanctuary in the Salvatore's home. Though they didn't love the guy, they knew how I felt about Kai so they promised to try and protect him whilst he protected me. Even Damon and Elena were all for the idea, especially when they realised that I wasn't broken inside from Damon's betrayal.
'This isn't going to lure him here!' I shouted, though my voice came out weak. 'He's not that stupid to fall for a trap.'
'See, that's where you have it wrong, child,' came an aged voice from behind me whom I assumed was Kai's father. 'These past few months have shown us that Kai would do anything to save you. Even give up his powers.'
'Kai would never do that-'
'For you, he would.' The man slowly walked around the alter so that he was in my line of vision. Joshua Parker stood tall above me; his expression cold and emotionless. 'That's why we're going to lure him here. In order to save you,' he started to explain, walking round me. It was only then that I realised that he was playing with what appeared to be an athame in his hand. 'He has to give up his powers.'
'But that would kill him!'
'Shame that. But don't you want to know whether or not if he would sacrifice his life for yours?'
I stared at the man long and hard, debating whether or not he could, or rather would do this to his own son but I had heard the stories from Kai. If anything, it was Joshua that he inherited his sociopathic tendencies from.
'He would never do that.'
'Oh really? Because I have a feeling that he would.' My heart fell when the chanting stopped for the newest arrival. I didn't need to tilt my head to know who it was.
I could feel his eyes on me, causing met to wriggle my arms in a feeble attempt to free myself or, at least, loosen the bind around my wrists. 'You shouldn't have come, Kai!' I shouted, feeling a tear fall from my eye.
Kai laughed quietly though it was far from happy. 'It's a little too late for that, sweetheart,' he said in a quiet voice causing more tears to fall. 'Let her go. You've got me now. There's no need for her,' he said to Joshua, though his tone was far from how he had spoken to me.
Joshua laughed before walking towards me, placing a hand on my forehead before roughly turning it so that I could see Kai; his face a mix of worry, fear and anger. 'You understand what you must do in order to free her, yes?'
'That wasn't part of the deal,' Kai said through gritted teeth. 'You said-'
'I said that she would be free to go once you filled out your half of the bargain.' Kai looked as though he was about to rip Joshua's throat out, even slowly raising his arm which suddenly froze when Joshua's athame went to my neck, digging deep enough to draw blood and to cause me to squirm.
'Stop,' Kai said in a clipped tone as he watched a trail of blood fall off my neck, dripping into a tiny pool on the alter beside me. 'Stop it. I'll give you my magic. Take it all, even. Just don't hurt her.'
'Kai, no-'
'I know what I'm doing,' he said, looking at me with sad eyes. Joshua's eyes flicked between me and Kai for a long minute before bringing his athame to the rope at my wrist, cutting it easily before moving to my ankles and then the other wrist.
The second I was free, I jumped up and into Kai's arms. 'Please don't do this,' I cried; his arms tightening round me.
'I promised I'd protect you and I'm doing exactly that,' he breathed as he placed a kiss on my head. He pulled away only to dip his head towards mine, placing a long and loving kiss on my lips before whispering, 'Everything will be okay.'
What do I have to do then, sweet daddy of mine?' Kai asked; his old self returning.
Joshua gave him an emotionless look before instructing the witches around us, including Liv, to continue their chants. The rest of the ritual became a blur as I stood to the side, watching Kai as he drew the athame across his palm before he, too, started to chant. Holding up his hands towards Joshua, whom repeated the same actions as Kai, I saw his face contort with pain. I wanted to pull his hands away and run far from this place but, seeing him give me a sure smile told me to stay where I was.
Everything happened so quickly. The chanting seemed to get louder before there was a flash of bright light. Both Kai and Joshua screamed before both collapsing to the floor like rag dolls.
I dived to Kai's side, lifting his head onto my lap as tears fell onto his face, muttering prayers that he was okay.
My heart seemed to jump out of my chest when he released a spluttered cough. 'Kai? Kai! Are you okay?' I asked between my crying.
'My head feels like we've been on the tequila for ten straight hours,' he moaned as he pulled himself up to a sitting position, feeling his head before he realised what had just happened. 'Are you okay?'
'You were meant to be dead!'
'Seems as though we couldn't take all of Kai's magic,' said Joshua from behind Kai. As Kai slowly pulled me up, holding me tightly to his side, Joshua picked up the athame from the ground beside his foot. 'He still has his...ability to suck magic but he no longer has the power of the coven leader.'
I watched as Liv moved to stand beside her father; her stare holding onto me as Kai wrapped his arm around me. 'Then I see no more problems here.' With that, he pulled me away and out of the crypt; both of our breaths being released once we were out in the fresh air.
'Kai-'
'Let's just get you home safely,' he said; his gaze focused ahead and for a moment, I was worried that with the power that was taken from him, so was the part of Luke that he merged with.
'Kai,' I said, stopping in my tracks so that he had to turn round to look at me. 'Are you still...I mean, are you-
'Am I still half me, half Luke?' he asked; his eyes slightly void of emotion. I fell silent; his expression answering my question. 'Would that change anything if I wasn't?'
'God, no-'
'Then why does it matter?' he asked in a harsh tone.
'It doesn't...I just wanted to know how much of you is back.'
He sighed as my head fell down. He was right; it shouldn't matter whether or not it was him and Luke or just him. I loved Kai either way.
'Kai-'
'Well, isn't this wonderful?' A British accent filled my ears as an iron grip formed around my neck. 'Call me opportunist but I love when life makes things easy for you.'
'Enzo?' I breathed as I struggled against the grip.
'See, this is what happens when a strapping lad with a sexy accent tries to kill someone. The victim always knows who the killer is.' He placed his mouth beside my ear. 'Not that it matters as you won't live long enough to tell anyone. Well, your boyfriend might but he's about as useless as you are now, love.'
'Let her go, Enzo!' shouted Kai as he took a few steps towards us but Enzo's grip simply tightened almost causing my eyes to bug out of my head.
'Now, now. We won't be having any of that. Your father gave me a pretty sweet deal. Now, all I have to do is deliver.'
'Joshua got what he wanted!' Kai cried.
'Not from me, he didn't. He said that I could have the wonderful power of being immune to sunlight without the need of a stupid daylight ring, and even to nasty little witchy powers that your Bennett friend might try to place on me. All I would have to do is kill the girl to make sure you suffered enough. And that's exactly what I'm going to do.'
Having vampire fangs jammed into your neck is anything but pleasurable. It burns and is close to excruciating pain. Enzo drained me of nearly all my blood, letting me fall to the ground as Kai screamed, helpless.
The pain of landing on my arm, and probably breaking it, didn't come close to the pain I was feeling from Enzo's little feast. My eyes were coming in and out of focus, my head was throbbing and I could barely feel my neck.
Everything hurt so much so that I couldn't feel Kai's tears cascade onto my face, nor the sensation of his fingers brushing back my hair. I was slipping in and out of consciousness so much that I couldn't hear his pleas and cries and curses. I think he even begged at one point but I couldn't imagine him doing that.
But, that's the thing; everyone always surprises you in the strangest of places. I mean, who knew that Malachai Parker would fall in love with a simple human girl?