7. Talking to Your Mom

Luke:

"She's so beautiful." I heard him say.

"You don't need to impress me anymore – we've finished grilling you about being her boyfriend."

"I know, I wasn't trying to impress you it's just she doesn't always want to hear it and I need to say it. I figure if anyone was going to agree with me it would be you."

"That's very true. But you should tell her Luke – even if she doesn't want to hear it you should tell her."

"But she is, isn't she? She's just so pretty and funny and god she's clever – I love it when she talks so passionately about something she learnt about stars or theatre productions or whatever. I could listen to her without  a word for hours and not get bored."

"She's the same with you Luke – you talk about your tour stories or a lyric you wrote and she's engaged."

"Engaged?"

"I didn't mean in that sense,"

"No I know, I just... engaged, wow." Luke seemed mystified by the word. I should have gone through by now but I was very contented just listening. "Food for thought, eh?"

"You're not marrying my daughter off just yet."

"No, but you did say yet."

Michael:

"Where are you taking her tonight?"

"We're going to see the Lego Movie and then I'm taking her for dinner."

"Are you both going back to yours afterwards?"

"Yeah, I bought the game of the movie and I thought we could play that for a bit. If that's alright? I can bring her home if you prefer."

"No, that's fine. Just bear in mind she has homework, Mikey, so not too late tomorrow."

"Yeah, we were going to grab some lunch in town and then come back here. She asked me to help her with the chem work she has."

"You were awful at chem..."

"I know, but I'll quite happily sit and watch her do it."

"'Happily', Michael?"

"I'd happily sit and watch her read a book or order pizza."

"That's really sweet."

"It's true. And she quite often sits for ages watching me play video games."

"You have a very quiet relationship."

"It's perfect - I'm not a man of many words so that we can sit so comfortably in complete silence is perfect."

"You do talk though, don't you?"

"Yeah, we can talk to hours. I don't know, from what I can tell silence is as important as being able to talk."

Calum:

"Do you want any help with the dishes?" He offered.

"No I'm fine thanks sweetheart."

"If you're not here I'm usually made to do it."

"Are you now?"

"Yeah, but then I splash her with the bubbles and it becomes an even job." Calum laughed.

"You two far too often end up making a mess of my house." Mum rolled her , I knew it without seeing.

"We make an  mess of my house. But then my sister gets involved and we blame her and make him clean it up."

"What are you doing that your sister can get involved?"

"It often involves the pair of them attacking me with lipstick after I've given my beautiful girlfriend a particularly flattering mono brow."

I tried not to giggle out loud but this squirmy noise he makes when you get near him with any form make-up.

"Neither of you take anything seriously, it's a miracle you've lasted this long." Mum rolled her eyes again.

"It is a bit; I thought she'd have found someone better than me by now."

"I didn't mean that Calum."

"No, I consider myself very lucky to have entertained her affections for as long as I have."

Ashton:

"And then I might have thrown a temper tantrum in the middle of the cinema just to irritate her more. That's why we've not been to the cinema in a few months." Ashton tried not to giggle but he loved irritating me.

"Her brother used to do that all the time when they were kids. She's so funny, isn't she? Does she still do that weird pouty thing-?"

"Yes! It's adorable but so, so funny. And it goes two ways – I'm the grumpiest dragon in the morning and she always plays on it by making herself bacon sandwiches and not leaving any bacon for me just to turn me from a normal dragon to a fire  rage dragon."

"That sounds like the daughter I raised." Mum laughed. Rightly so - at least she didn't offer to cook him breakfast. I made him  the other day; he failed to mention that didn't he?

"I often forget how similar you two look; when you're together it's crazy."

"Thank you, Ashton. You're the most charming boy she's ever brought home, I'll tell you that for sure."

"Whilst that is something I shan't deny, thank you very much."

"You're what's best for her, Ash."