44. Your Child Calling Him Daddy

Luke

You and Luke had been dating for almost a year, and a major life decision was in the cards. You and Luke were seriously considering moving in together, but you were a bit reluctant. The last time you had lived with a guy, you had been nineteen and carefree, and after one night, you were nineteen, pregnant, and alone in an unfamiliar city. Not that you would have traded that for anything now, because you had Marcus. Marcus was everything to you – he was the reason you got up in the mornings, the reason you worked so much, and the reason you were so heavily weighing the option of moving into Luke's flat. At twenty-two, there was so much you wanted to do, but was this really one of them?

Marcus loved Luke, and the feeling was reciprocated. Luke the toddler grow up and spending time with him. Luke was great with Marcus too, you couldn't deny that fact. Luke was a natural at the parent thing. Luke tended to include Marcus on your dates so that the little man had a chance to get to know him, because as Luke had told you many times, "I can't be the number two man in your life if your number one man doesn't like me."

It had been one of the most romantic things Luke could have ever said. Because most men turned tail and ran at the mention of a child, especially one that he was not responsible for making. But Luke was different, reading to Marcus each night before bed when he was at your apartment and picking him up from  when you had to work late. You trusted Luke with your son, so when you had to suddenly go to a business conference; you called your boyfriend to ask him to watch Marcus.

"I'd love to," Luke agreed quickly. "When?"

"Well, they want me tonight," you said slowly. "They sprung it on me last second, hon. I'm sorry."

"No, it's fine! How about I go pick him up from day care now and we can meet somewhere for lunch so you can spend some time with him. I'll take him to the park while you pack," Luke offered. You let out a deep sigh of relief and smiled.

"You are a literal god, Luke Hemmings," you sighed. "I love you."

"I love you too. I'll see you with Marcus in a little while. The diner sound good?" he asked, and you agreed. As soon as Luke hung up the phone, he set to work packing a bag for himself so that he could stay at your apartment with Marcus. Then he got in his car and headed to the boy's day care, signing him out early and explaining that the two of you were going to get lunch with Mommy.

When you got to the diner, you saw Luke and Marcus already in your normal booth, Marcus settled in a booster between Luke and the wall. You walked up, waving, before kissing both of them on the cheek. You chatted with them both for a few minutes before Marcus interjected. "Mommy! Luke said he's going to come sleep at the apartment!" Marcus squealed happily.

"Yeah, sweetie! He's going to stay with you because Mommy has to go work in another city tonight and tomorrow night," you said carefully. This wouldn't be the first time you had traveled for work, but definitely this was the first time you had to leave so suddenly.

"Oh. So you won't be there?" Marcus frowned, but Luke reached over and tickled Marcus' stomach, making the baby giggle.

"Come on, man. It'll be a guy's night. We can do all the manly stuff we can't do with your mom around," Luke smiled. "That sounds fun, right?"

"Yeah!" Marcus giggled, looking to his mom. "Just two nights?" he asked.

"Right, sweetie," you promised with a smile. "And then I'll be back."

"Okay, then," Marcus allowed, looking to Luke. "That's okay." You smiled at Luke in relief, glad that Marcus seemed to be taking this all okay. You guys enjoyed a nice lunch, but then before Luke took Marcus to the park, you had to say goodbye to the two of them. It was slightly tearful and very painful, but eventually you drove away, waving at Luke and Marcus, who  right back.