Niall : Early Night

My feet wearily dragged trails in the dirt path behind me as a smothering heat set fire to the dusty air and choked my depleted lungs. Niall’s reassuring grip fell on my shoulders as he hugged me to his sturdy form, silently rubbing my arm. Ahead of us our friends, Jesse and June, skipped energetically along, raving about the fabulous weather.

“Fabulous my ass!” I called out to them jokingly, “I’m beginning to think we’ve walked right into hellfire.”

“Oh all-mighty Lord! Save our pitiful souls,” June theatrically replied, clutching her heart with two sweaty palms.

“God’s a bit busy, but I think I can help, madam,” Jesse chuckled, throwing June over his back and jogging ahead.

“Hey Niall,” I slyly looked up to him, “Why don’t you be a good boyfriend like Jesse and carry me there.”

“You’re saying you don’t enjoy the thrill of hiking?” he asked in fake astonishment.

“Mm, maybe not today. It’s only about a mile to the campsite,” I elbowed him, pouting convincingly.

“Well, your highness, I would, but I’m carrying all your shit on my back right now, because unlike Jesse’s girlfriend, mine packed enough for a two night trip in the woods to clothe an entire,” he accused as I rolled my eyes.

“Excuses!” I exclaimed with a warm smile.

“Ah, yes, excuses,” he muttered humorously, “Here, I know a way to cool you off.”

“What?” I asked innocently. Unsuspecting, I turned to face him, startled by the droplets of water he doused me with.

“Niall!” I shrieked, jumping away from him.

“Yes, your highness?” he asked mockingly.

Your highness is about to whoop your ass,” I threatened with a smile.

An unfamiliar voice interrupted our banter, “Um, excuse me?”

Turning around, I was met with a college-aged guy, his quizzical stare hesitantly meeting mine.

“Yeah?” I asked expectantly.

“I’m sorry to bother you guys, but do you know how long it is back to the parking lot?” he asked sheepishly, his heel digging into the ground.

“Days. It’ll take days,” I laughed.

Niall opened his mouth to speak, but was interrupted by the guy.

“It’s way too hot to be out right now, I didn’t even bring enough water,” he complained, sweat glistening on his forehead.

“Here, you can borrow some of mine,” I suggested, pulling mine out of my backpack before adding, “Niall’s just wasted all of his soaking me, but I still have a full bottle.”

“Thank you so much,” he smiled, relieved, “You’re the nicest person I’ve met here yet. Everyone else has just said ‘better luck next time,’ or something like that. But oh well, at least this way I get to talk to a pretty girl,” he winked as he brought the bottle to his lips, closing his eyes as water slid down his parched throat.

Niall cleared his throat, his clammy fingers suddenly intertwining in mine and giving my hand a squeeze.

“Baby, I think we need to keep going,” he mumbled tensely.

The stranger screwed the lid back on my bottle, completely ignoring Niall as he held a hand out to me in greeting, “Well it’s been nice talking to you. My name’s Paul, by the way.”