59. Meet Melanie.

"Please, Mama, let me work," I begged the old lady who was also a second mother to me as well as my boss. "Please, I'm begging you. I learnt my lesson and now all I want is to work and to be the best employee ever."

"No, Declan, you are suspended," she reminded me as she continued to read the book in her hands. Since I arrived here and sat in front of her, she hadn't looked at me once in the eyes.

"But please, I'm really sorry. I swear I won't cause any more trouble in the future, you can trust me," I promised her, "I will do everything that you want me to, just let me come back."

"I only wanted you to do one thing when I employed you and that was to not disturb my peaceful atmosphere. You did not listen to me so now deal with the consequences," she said and I pouted. "Besides, you have only one more week to wait before your suspension is over."

"I know but still, I want to come back. I can work for free for this week if you want. It will be like if I am still on suspension!" I suggested and she finally looked up at me. She seemed to consider my idea for a moment but in the end, she shook her head.

"That won't be much of a punishment if I let you come back," she stated and I groaned. 

On this beautiful Saturday morning, I found myself at the cupcake shop, begging Mama to let me come back to work. I thought that it would be better to come see her in person instead of simply calling her on her phone but it turned out that face to face or not, there was no way that she would let me come back.

I knew that I should be kind of happy about the fact that I was free from any work duties for the week, it was like being on vacation and I could also do some catch up work for school but I actually missed my job, not only because of the money, but because I liked it here. As strange as it might seem, the cupcake shop felt like a real home to me. Despite all the ups and downs, being here made me happy and changed a little bit my surrounding.

"This is painful," I said and I let my head fall on the table, closing my eyes. I soon felt Mama pat my head.

"This is the whole point, dear," she informed me, "Be happy that your suspension was only for two weeks and not more. I could have been more cruel with you."

"Then it would have been completely unfair. I did not even participate in the fight," I told her.

"True, but those two boys were fighting over you," she reminded me, "So you are partly responsible for the mess caused."

"Yeah, I know," I sighed, "There is no way for me to change your mind, isn't it?"

"No," was her reply like I expected, "Now go back home or else I will extent your suspension."

I immediately sat up straight at that and she laughed at the expression on my face but I knew that she was dead serious.

"I will see you next week, Declan," she said, waving at me with a smile on her face but I did not smile back, I was too annoyed for that. 

"Meanie," I pouted as I stood up and she chuckled, really amused. I quickly glanced around, "I'm going to buy some cupcakes then I will be gone from here."

"Please do," she said and she immediately returned to her reading. 

I sighed and slowly walked towards the waiting line to buy some cupcakes. I had nothing else better to do for the day so I would just get myself some cupcakes and make a little walk around town. Perhaps, I would pay Joshua a little visit at his workplace. I was sure that he would be thrilled. 

As there were not many people in the line, it was quickly my turn to be served. Gabriela was the one working at the cash register and she smiled when she saw me.