14. Detention Time.

"What are you doing here?" I asked Joshua in surprise as I saw him enter the detention classroom. He blinked a few times looking at me before he seemed to realize who I was. He tried to give me a smile but instead, a grimace came on his face.

I was slightly concerned at that.

As he walked towards me in the far end of the classroom, I could easily see the few bruises that have appeared on his face. I frowned. He surely did not have them when I saw him a few hours ago.

"I got a detention obviously," he replied to my previous question as he sat at the desk beside me. He let his bag fall on the floor and he sighed out loud. The classroom was still empty. We were the only ones present in the room but I knew that it would not take long for Mr Harold to come.

"What happened?" I asked him, looking at him with concern.

"You mean what did I do to get a detention or what did I do to get these beautiful things?" He asked me in response, pointing to the bruises on his face.

"Both," I replied.

"Oh it's simple," he said, "I got into a fight, there were lots of punching on me mostly hence the bruises on my face, Mr Harold was passing by, he saw everything, he took us to the principal's office hence the detention. Actually, I got one entire week of detention. It sucks."

"You got into another fight," I stated and Joshua nodded. I gave him a look of disbelief, "How did you even manage that? I saw you like a few hours ago for lunch and now you are telling me that you fought again. Two fights in one day. Is it one of your regular activities?"

"It's not like I'm searching for it," he complained like a kid, "My ex-friends, also members of the football team by the way, won't get off my back. Learning that there was a faggot, like they beautifully named me, in the team did not make them too happy. They can't make me quit as they know that I'm one of their best players so now-"

"They are going to beat the shit out of you," I completed his sentence and he nodded, "Are they not afraid to hurt you so bad that you can't play for a match?"

"They made sure not to hit too hard," he replied nonchalantly, "Though, it still hurts like a bitch. My chest hurts as well as my arms. I tried to protect my face as much as I could but I still got some blows there. No need to say that it was painful. I'm kind of scared to lift my shirt to see the damage done."

"You should have gone to the infirmary," I told him, looking at him from up and down. Honestly, I was feeling worried for him.

"It's okay. I can bare with the pain until I get home," he reassured me, "It's not a few punches that are going to make me cry like a baby girl."

My eyebrows furrowed.

I wondered why he even wanted to bare with the pain. How could he bare with it so casually?Before his friends learnt that he was gay, were there other people or someone that used to hit him? That was the question. I knew for a fact that the first time that I got hurt physically, I cried for the whole night. I could not handle the pain so well but with time, I became stronger and I learnt to bare with it. Though, I still did not like to get hurt.

"Why did they hit you this time?" I asked Joshua at last and he took a few seconds to answer.

"You already know that the first fight was because of the kiss with my best friend," he said and I nodded, "Well, the second one was because of something really stupid and non-important so let's just forget about it."

My eyes narrowed.

"What is that stupid and non-important thing exactly?" I questioned, giving him a suspicious look.