38. School Break Time.

"I want a milkshake," a little girl, who looked about ten years old, told me with a bored expression on her face and I gave her an hesitant smile.

"What flavor do you want for your milkshake?" I asked her nicely and she just stared at me.

"The usual," she replied after a few seconds and I was confused. I had been working at the cupcake shop for some time now and I never saw this little girl here before. I cleared my throat.

"And the usual is..." I started in hope of getting a reply that would help me give her a better service but she suddenly seemed angry.

"I want a milkshake!" she exclaimed, jumping on her feet and I took in a deep breath. I had deal with troublesome clients already but troublesome kids, I did not face them yet. Most kids that came here were nice enough to me but I had a feeling that this one would be different. I glanced around but no one seemed to be available to help me with her.

I decided to simply serve her a vanilla milkshake. Most people liked that flavor. I turned around and prepared her milkshake while wondering if she would actually like it. Once done, I faced her once again and she seemed to be getting impatient. I was about to give the milkshake to her when I remembered something.

"You need to pay me first," I reminded her and she frowned angrily at me.

"No, give me my milkshake," she shouted and it was then that she captured a few people's attention. Before I could tell her to calm down, she started jumping and shouting louder and louder. "I want my milkshake! Why won't you give me my milkshake?!"

"Hey, calm down," I exclaimed at her and things only got worst. She started crying and that only made me panicked. God, I loved kids but I never got the chance to take care of them before and I did not know what to do in this type of situation.

People around started to whisper and I knew instantly that it was about me, though, I was still completely lost on what to do. I couldn't simply give her the milkshake without her paying for it and her parents did not seem to be around to pay it for her. Where were even my co-workers?

"Hey, what's happening here?" the little angel of my life suddenly appeared and I let out a sigh of relief immediately.

"Pierre, please help me," I begged him in panic and he looked at me in disbelief. He glanced down at the little girl and asked her:

"Annie, why are you crying again? I thought that I already told you that crying too much is not always good."

Oh, he knew her? That was some unexpected news. Annie, that seemed to be her name, looked at Pierre and pointed an accusing finger at me.

"He doesn't want to give me my milkshake," she cried out loud and Pierre gave me an "are you serious" look.

"She needs to pay to get the milkshake," I exclaimed like a kid and he sighed. He took out his wallet and placed some cash on the counter.

"I'm paying your milkshake, Annie, so now stop crying," my love told her and I finally handed over the milkshake to the crying girl after much hesitation. It was quickly snatched out of my hand and she immediately started drinking it. Her crying stopped then and I huffed in disbelief. I took Pierre's money before giving him back the change.

"Right, you got your milkshake so now, say-" Annie turned around and walked away without another word and that cut my love in his sentence. I frowned. That was really rude. She did not even say thank you to him. "Typical Annie," my love said then, even though, he did not look like he appreciated the behavior. He looked back at me. "What just happened, Declan? I left a few minutes to go to the toilet and when I come back, I find you with a crying girl."