78. Joshua's Birthday (Part 1).

"Where are you two going?" mom asked Kenny and I as we were about to get out of the house. My little brother immediately grimaced at the sound of her voice while I mentally cursed. We both turned around and looked at our mother, who had her arms crossed and an angry expression on her face.

"We're going to Joshua's house," I decided to reply, "It's his birthday today and we were invited."

Just as I thought, mom wasn't happy to hear my words. 

"I don't remember giving you the permission to go to any birthday party," she said and I let out an amused laugh. Kenny, though, seemed to be really worried.

"We don't need your permission," I informed her, "Hence why you weren't asked anything in the first place."

"Well, let me inform you about something then, I don't care where you are going, but Kenny is certainly not coming with you," she stated and that was exactly the reason why Kenny and I didn't mention anything to her in the first place. We were actually planning on sneaking out without being noticed but I guessed that we miserably failed.

"It's only for a birthday, mom," Kenny finally said something and he looked down at the ground as he rubbed his arm. "Joshua is my friend and-"

"Your friend?" mom repeated with wide eyes, "Kenny, you shouldn't be hanging out with people older than you, especially not with the likes of him."

"The likes of him? Really?" I asked her but she completely ignored me.

"Go back to your room," she ordered the little brother, pointing in the direction of the stairs, and he gave her a pleading look.

"Mom, come on," he tried to find a way out of his, "I really want to go and Joshua-"

"You're grounded," she interrupted him without any care, her expression emotionless, and she succeeded to surprise the two of us.

"You can't be serious?" I told her in disbelief, "Don't you see that you are overreacting?" 

"I'll react however I want," she spat at me and she looked back at Kenny furiously, "You, go back to your room. I won't repeat myself again. I will not have you befriending people who are influencing you into rebelling. Until you realize your mistake, you will be grounded."

"But I didn't do anything wrong," Kenny protested and he looked really angry, or at least he was trying to keep himself under control, "I bet that you wouldn't have done that to Emile."

No need to say that mom was shocked by his words. Even myself I was surprised that he dared to say that.

"What did you just say?" she asked him, looking at him menacingly, and Kenny let out a sigh, shaking his head.

"Nothing, it's nothing," he said and I saw him clench his fists, "I'm going back to my room."

Without waiting further, Kenny walked away and he passed by our mother without even looking at her. She tried to call after him but he ignored her and just disappeared up the stairs without another word.    

"You should really learn how to be a better mother when you have some time," I told her, annoyed by her behavior, and she glared at me.

"I don't know what you are planning, Declan, but stop influencing Kenny," she warned me and I couldn't believe it, "I've noticed that you two have started getting closer and I don't like that."

"Kenny is my little brother. I believe that being close to him is absolutely normal," I retorted, "And I'm not influencing him into doing anything. He's big enough to make his own choices."