85. Home Alone (Part 1)

PIERRE'S POV

I really wanted to go to the masked ball with Declan. 

I got everything ready for the occasion. 

I already found what I was going to wear, I had my mask ready, and I had this dream scenario of the long awaited night playing in my head; Declan, all elegant and handsome, would come and pick me up at my doorstep; we would walk through the high school's doors, hand in hand; we would laugh, talk with our friends, dance, then we would finish the night with a beautiful and passionate kiss.

Just thinking about all of this made me excited and made me want to go to the ball even more. Even if I knew that it wasn't going to turn out exactly as I imagined, I still wanted to go. I just wanted to be with Declan and have fun. I just really wanted this night to happen.

But of course, my parents were once again an obstacle in my life. 

"Pierre, I already made dinner. Melanie and you just have to serve yourself when you're hungry," my mom instructed me as she stood in front of the mirror of her bedroom. She was applying makeup to her face. "Your dad and I will be back at around eleven. Don't wait for us. Just sleep if you're tired."

"Why so late?" I asked her. I was leaned against the door frame, my arms crossed. I couldn't really enter further. I wasn't allowed in my parents' bedroom.

"Your dad and I need a little moment for ourselves," mom replied, "I'm sure that you can understand that. It happens only once a year anyway."

I was so focused on going to the masked ball that I completely forgot that, on the very same day that it would be held, there would also be another important event. 

It was my parents' wedding anniversary.

And it completely got erased from my mind. 

"Will you be able to manage while we're gone?" mother asked me, glancing at me quickly, before she began to apply her super red lipstick. The color matched the red dress and red heels that she was currently wearing. My mom looked like the perfect femme fatale, which was kind of weird to be honest.

"Yeah, I'll call you right away in case of any emergency," I reassured her, "I'll be with Melanie anyway."

She simply nodded. 

Life was funny sometimes.

Tonight was supposed to be the night that Declan and I would go to the ball together but no, it was my parents who were going out to celebrate the day of their engagement. I was really happy for them but at the same time, I was angry that they wouldn't let me attend the ball.

"Okay, I'm done," my mom suddenly declared and she turned to me, fixing her dress. "How do I look?"

"You're really pretty," I replied to her honestly, a little smile on my face, and she surprisingly smiled back at me. She went to grab her mini bag, which was on the bed, and placed her lipstick inside, before hanging the bag on her shoulder. She walked towards me and stopped right in front of me. I expected her to say something but she unexpectedly grabbed my cheeks and placed a soft kiss on my forehead. 

"Be a good boy, okay?" she told me and I slowly nodded. She smiled. We got out of the bedroom and my mom closed the door behind us. I decided to accompany her downstairs to tell dad and her goodbye. We found father at the front door, already dressed in his black suit. He was just finishing a phone call when we arrived.

"Okay, we'll talk about this tomorrow, Paul. Just make sure to get everything ready," was the last thing that he said before he hanged up. His eyes immediately turned in our direction and they literally sparkled when he saw my mom. "Wow, love, you look gorgeous."