18. Lies, Lies, Lies (Part 2)

There was an awkward silence in the car.

I was sat in the backseat of Pierre's parents' car, going to their house. Pierre was sat beside me, our arms nearly touching, but it felt like if he was so far away from me. I did not dare talk and I did not dare look at him. The air was so cold and tense that it made me wonder if it was always like this when Pierre and his parents were in that car together.

My gaze remained fixed outside of the window. I did not even move one inch. I must admit that the presence of my love's parents in the front seat was making me nervous. I prepared myself to confront them but I did not think that it would be so difficult to remain relax and cool in their presence. We did not even start the talk yet.

Church, once again, was extremely boring. Like the last time, Pierre and his dad were standing in front of the entrance. I was so happy to see my love but I tried to hide my excitement as much as I could. All I did was to follow my parents without saying a word. Even when I reached Pierre, I did not talk to him at all. God, I even avoided his eyes. I did not know if he found it weird but it was sure as hell weird for me.

Joshua arrived soon after that and when he saw me, the first thing that he did was to take me into his arms. I was very surprised as well as everyone around us. It was only after a few seconds that he quickly let go of me and gave me a big smack on my back, exclaiming out loud that the hug was just a joke to see my reaction. Well, the big smack that I received did not seem like a joke, it actually hurt and a lot but I did not complain. 

It was the first time that Joshua and Pierre officially met. Their conversation was short though as church was about to start soon. My love asked me if I wanted to come sit with him at the front but sadly, I refused, saying that I was going to sit with my parents this time. He did not seem to mind it but still, I did not feel any better. My answer pleased my parents a lot though, I could see it on theirs faces.

The only positive side about all of this was that Joshua was allowed to sit beside me. Though, much to my surprise, he did not try to talk to me at all. Instead, he gave all his attention to his prayer. He was like absorbed by the priest's words. It was then that I realized that he was more religious than me. Maybe I should start to take example on him, I had thought at that moment.

After church, Pierre's parents both asked me if I was going to come with them to have a serious talk at their house and I accepted without an once of hesitation. My parents were shocked to hear about that. I kind of forgot to tell them about that whole going to the priest's house thing. Though, despite the reluctance that I could see in theirs eyes, they simply nodded, a smile on theirs faces, and said that it was okay and that I could go.

I knew that they were worried that I would misbehave once at Pierre's house but they could trust me on that point. Misbehaving was not my plan. I knew what I needed to do and what I should not do, I knew which words I should use and the ones I should avoid. This thing needed to work out.

"Hey, I am still waiting for you to answer my question of last night," Pierre said suddenly, breaking the silence in the car. 

"Oh, yeah, your alien question," I remembered and he rolled his eyes.

"Once again, Declan, I am not talking about aliens," he protested, "There can be different type of life somewhere else, in another universe. Those people may not necessarily have green skin and little antennas. They can be just like us but with different habit and behavior, like instead of breathing in oxygen, they breathe in carbon dioxide, or maybe, unlike us who sleep during the night, maybe they sleep during the day."

I ended up laughing just after Pierre's words. I could not control myself. I saw his mom glance at us in the rear-view mirror in the corner of my eyes but I did not mind her. Pierre and I were simply having a little chat. It was not bad.