40. Talk With Greg.

"Turn it up, it's your favorite song

Dance, dance, dance to the distortion

Turn it up, keep it on repeat

Stumbling around like a wasted zombie, yeah

We think we're free (Aha)

Drink, this one's on me

We're all chained to the rhythm

To the rhythm

To the rhythm..."

The song Chained to the Rhythm by Katy Perry was playing out loud in my earphones as I mopped the floor of the cupcake shop. I wanted to dance to the beat of the music but I needed to keep in mind that there were other people around me. 

The cupcake shop was closed today because of the monthly cleaning. Every worker was present. Those who worked in the kitchen were asked to clean it and me as I worked mainly at the front, I had to take care of it along with three of my co-workers. Mama liked it when we worked in group as then we could finish more early and get back home more quickly.

I wasn't really talkative with the others and as they chatted with each other while cleaning, me, I mostly listened to songs on my phone with my earphones on. I was nearly done with my assigned work and I was glad for that. I was so hungry. I needed to eat something and quick.

Today I did not get the time to eat my breakfast. I woke up late and I nearly got a heart attack when I opened my eyes and realized that I had only fifteen minutes to go to work. Me waking up late was happening more often than I would have liked. As it was school break, I tended to sleep more late than I normally do and then in the morning, I did not hear my alarm clock ring. That was too bad for me.

I let out a sigh and stretched my body. I took the mop along with the bucket of water and returned them to their original place. Glancing around quickly, I went in the kitchen to drink something to pass my hunger until I returned home. An hamburger would be good along with some french fries. I had the want to eat a lot.

Arriving in the kitchen, I noticed that only Greg was there and that the kitchen was entirely cleaned. It looked like they were already done here. I guessed that the ones in charge of the kitchen were changing to go back home. Though, Greg got me curious as he seemed to be making something. I frowned.

"What are you doing?" I asked him as I advanced towards him and it was then that he noticed my presence in the kitchen. I removed my earphones from my ears.

"It's none of your business," he snapped at me and he returned his attention back to his preparation. I placed my hands on my hips and looked at the ingredients in front of him. I immediately guessed what he was doing.

"You're baking a cake."

He did not reply to me and simply continued to mix the ingredients of his cake. I tilted my head to the side. We were supposed to clean, not to bake. It would only dirty the place more and Greg would have to clean more after.

That was stupid. 

I went to serve myself some cold water and as I drank, I watched Greg make his cake. I knew for a fact that whatever cake he was asked to bake, the taste would always be a pure delight to the mouth. He was really great at doing his job and it was obvious to me that he had a passion for baking.

Maybe that was why Mama employed him and maybe that was also why she made him the one in charge of all the baking. He sure knew how to make a lot of things for his young age. He even proposed some new sort of cupcakes to sell here and regular customers simply fell in love with his baking. It was clear to me that he deserved his place here.