41. Babysitting.

Arms folded over my chest, my position straight with my head slightly inclined down, I stared blankly at the little girl in front of me. My enemy shared the same posture as me except that she was raising her little head up to be able to look at me in the eyes.

"You," she said at last. "You are the one who didn't want to give me my milkshake."

Right, of course, she would remember me and judging from the look in her eyes, she did not like to see me at her house. Honestly, when Pierre asked me if I was free to come do some babysitting with him, I accepted immediately, without even knowing that I was going to, in fact, babysit Annie and her siblings.

"Come on, Annie, stop glaring at Declan. That's not a very nice thing to do," my love told the little Annie with a smile stuck on his face and I wondered how he could keep his cool that much with her. I did not know her for long but I could already tell that that little girl was hard to deal with. "Can you please call your parents for me?"

"No," she replied right away and from the looks of it, she was not joking. Pierre sighed. We were currently standing in front of the door of Annie's house and when we knocked at the door, it was her who opened it.

"Okay, can you let us pass then?" Pierre tried a different approach and she shook her head.

"You can but not him," she precised and my love blinked.

"Please, my friend is here to help me babysit you," he told her, still in a nice tone and she shook her head once again.

"No, goodbye," she stated and she slammed the door shut in our faces. That was kind of unexpected.

"Okay, let's return home," I declared, turning around to walk away but Pierre grabbed me by my arm to stop me.

"No, we are not going anywhere, we came here to do babysitting so we are going to do babysitting," my love said and he knocked at the door once again, "Annie, open that door. Stop acting like this."

"I don't think that that's gonna help," I told him honestly and he glared at me.

"Shut up, you're not helping," he accused me. "Why didn't you simply smile when Annie opened the door? You looked at her like if you were ready to attack."

"Hey, she glared at me first."

"It's a kid, Declan. She glares at you, you smile, she is wrong to you, you don't get angry, you simply talk to her nicely and explain to her why she is wrong."

"That's a too positive approach," I told him with a frown. "You are way too nice. No wonder she closed the door in your face. She knows that you will not scold her."

"Are you questioning my method of taking care of children?" He asked me in disbelief, pointing at himself.

"Maybe," was my reply. "I mean, it's good to be nice and not get angry so easily but if the kid is acting like a brat, don't expect me to smile and let it go."

"Scandalous," he simply said and he rang the bell of the house this time. He tapped his feet on the ground impatiently. He threw one glance at me, while folding his arms, and then he continued, "I want to be firm sometimes but I can't. I just have to look at the kid's face and I basically melt soon after. They are just too cute. I can't resist."

I let out a chuckle and shook my head, "You will get easily manipulated if you continue that way. It's obvious that Annie has you wrapped around her little finger."

"You are talking like if she is an evil woman," he said with an huff. "She's good really. Just give her her chance. You will come to adore her."

"Because you adore her?" I asked him with wide eyes and he looked at me like if it was obvious. Before I got the chance to say something else, the door of the house opened once again but this time, it wasn't Annie at the door but a grown up woman.