16. The Park.

Not so far from my house, there was a park.

It was a good place to go to take some fresh air, to think and to, most importantly, be alone. I usually went there at night when there was no one at all. I would sit on the bench near the small lake and appreciate the peaceful atmosphere. It has been quite a long time since I last went to the park and somehow Joshua succeeded to drag me there on this beautiful Saturday morning.

I was quietly laying in my bed. Everyone was out, doing god knows what and it was simply perfect. I had the house all to myself. I liked it. I was listening to some Pierce The Veil songs when a rock suddenly hit against the window of my bedroom. I did not mind it at first but then another rock hit against the window and it just confused me. I got out bed, ready to shout at whoever thought that it was funny to throw rocks at my window but when I looked outside, I saw that it was in fact Joshua.

The boy wanted to go to the park but I did not feel like it. He asked me to open the front door for him but I just did not want to get down to do so. So we continued to talk through the window like if we were Romeo and Juliette, note that it was Joshua who was Juliette here because it was certainly not me. After awhile, Joshua succeeded to convince me to open the door for him and unexpectedly, here we were.  

"Ah! Do you feel this, Declan? The fresh air?"Joshua exclaimed as I rolled my eyes at him, "This is what we both needed."

"I would like to differ," I said, "I was pretty comfortable in my bed."

"Don't be so grumpy," he said and he passed one arm around my neck, bringing me closer to him, "You have been pouting the entire week just because your little darling is not talking to you. You need to get your mind off him."

"I was not pouting," I protested and he pulled his tongue out at me. I groaned before pushing him away. I then placed my hands in the pockets of my black leather jacket, "I'm totally fine. Yeah, Pierre did not talk to me at all this week but it's okay. I can survive this."

Joshua sent me a knowing look but I acted like if I did not see it. We both knew that what I just said was a complete lie. The fact that Pierre was not talking to me was not okay, it bothered me and a lot. He was constantly on my mind and when I saw him around the high school, it was hell not being able to come closer to him, not being able to talk to him, I just wanted to feel him close, I was craving for him to even look at me.

Though, having Joshua around made things a little bit more bearable for me as well as less lonely. Yeah, he was really annoying at times but I was thankful to having him around. I noticed something about him though, he talked a lot but he rarely mentioned his family. He basically told me anything that passed through his head, like what he ate every day, what music he listened to, his daily thought, he even told me how he killed all the fishes in his aquarium, but his family, they were like nonexistent. 

I wanted to question him about them as he did not hesitate to question me about my personal life, of course I did not answer all his questions, but I did not ask him anything. I preferred to wait for the right moment. 

"This is so good here," Joshua exclaimed once again, inhaling the air and suddenly a sad smile came on his face, "You know, this park is one of Greg's favorite places."

"Greg as in your ex best friend who you kissed and now he hates you?" I asked him just to make sure and he nodded. I rolled my eyes, "Don't start thinking about him, will you? You are better off without him."

"Don't worry, I'm not missing him at all, I'm just missing the memories of when we were still best friends," he said sadly and he lowered his gaze, "When we were kids, Greg and I used to come here a lot and we would run around, play hide and seek, try to climb up the trees, once we ever tried to swim in the lake but Greg did not know how to swim and he nearly drown, we both got scold because of that."