26. Dinner Time.

"Declan, where were you?" My mom exclaimed in disbelief as I entered the house. I sighed tiredly.

"At work," I replied to her. I just wanted to sleep right now. "Don't you remember that today is my first day of work?"

She seemed to be surprised by my words and I knew then that she totally forgot about it.

"Whatever, quick, go take a shower and wear proper clothes. We have guests coming for dinner tonight. They'll be there soon," she informed me, urging me to go prepare myself. I frowned.

"Who?" I asked her in confusion. Usually when guests were invited at my place, she told me to remain in my bedroom and to not come join them.

"It's the priest and his family," she replied to me and I was shocked. Pierre was coming here for dinner.

"Why didn't you tell me anything sooner?" I asked her, incredulous. 

"Well, now you know," she said and she pushed me towards the stairs. "Quick! Go prepare yourself before they arrive."

Still as shocked as ever, I quickly obeyed her. I couldn't believe it. Pierre and his family were coming to have dinner at my house. My love did not mention anything about that. Did he even know about it? Goody, that dinner thing came at a really bad time. I was tired. 

Today was my first day of work and god, for a cupcake shop, a lot of people went there. I remained on my feet for hours. When I went there on Saturday, Mama told me about the different types of cupcakes that was sold as well as how to prepare the milkshakes. I tried to keep everything in mind as much as I could but it was hard. I kind of got myself confused while serving people.

And those stupid customers did not help me at all. They gave me a hard time and some of them messed with me. I did not complain though as I did not want to start a fight on my first day. I needed to give a good impression to my boss. It would be bad if I got fired so quickly, so I bear with it and sadly for me, the customers weren't the only ones who gave me some problems. 

My co-workers too did not appreciate my presence among them. Of course, when Mama was there, they gave me a smile and were friendly but as soon as she turned her back, it was a complete different story. The only person who tried to help me in all this mess was Gabriela and I wondered why she was being so nice to me. I still wasn't sure if I should trust her or not.

To sum it all, I just wanted to relax on my bed and sleep but no, I guessed that I would not be able to do so. I arrived in my bedroom and threw my bag on the ground before walking to the bathroom. I was still in my work clothes. I was too tired to change into my own clothes before going home. Thankfully, my uniform fit me perfectly. I removed my clothes as I thought about that dinner that was waiting for me.

Even though, Pierre's parents were super friends with mine, they rarely came here for dinner. I guessed that it was because my parents did not want them to be in my presence. Though, things were different now. Maybe it was because of the lies that I told them. They wanted to be sure of my sincerity. Great, now I would have to act the whole night. 

I got in the shower and opened the water. My body instantly relaxed and I let out a sigh. That was just what I needed. I didn't know how many minutes I remained in the shower, I did not want to get out but after some time, I forced myself to. I wrapped a towel around myself and walked to my drawer. Now what to wear? My mom said proper clothes but I did not know what type of proper clothes she was talking about. 

I decided to wear a long sleeve button down blue shirt and black skinny jeans along with my black shoes. That should be proper enough. Looking at myself in the mirror, I passed my hand in my hair a few times to put it in order and just when I finished, I heard the doorbell rang. I told myself that that must be them so I quickly got out of my room and went down the stairs.