War

Individual Chapter

"John! John, wake up" Sherlock screamed into John's ear, shaking his flatmate vigorously.

John awoke with a jolt, unaware of his surroundings, looking around like a madman. The pure horror in his eyes and the precipitation that was evident on his forehead and cupids bow, showed that John had just awoken from a nightmare.

Sherlock knew that it was based around all the action that John had seen in Afghanistan, frankly it wouldn't take a genius to figure that out.

"Breathe slowly. In and Out. In and Out" Sherlock said, sitting down beside his blogger and smiling a wry smile.

John calmed down a little bit and closed his eyes, still sitting up in bed.

"You know. It's terrible, yes. You'll live with it for the rest of your life, and you'll never be able to forget it. Once you walk that battlefield, once you feel the blood rush to your head when a bullet whizzes past you, once you hear the explosions of grenades, you'll never be able to be 'normal' again or live 'normal' again" John said, grinning shyly, "Maybe that's why I liked you when I met you"

Sherlock looked at him, surprise in his eyes.

"When I went out with you, I felt the blood rush in me, I felt my heart rate speed up and it felt like being back. Back there. No matter how terrible that is, I can't live without it. It's adrenaline for me" John said.

"So I've been told" Sherlock said.

"When Mycroft told me that 'When you walk with Sherlock Holmes, you see the battlefield' I wasn't scared. I was intrigued and it scared me at the time. The cases are so much more safer than the war though" John rubbed his hands together, "Honestly Sherlock, if I hadn't fought in the War, I wouldn't have gone to those cases with you and my life would be so different. Who knows if we would even be living together... You would probably get bored of having a flatmate who didn't care about your work, and I would get annoyed by all your antics".

Sherlock nodded slowly, scared to admit that what John had just said was probably true.

"So after all, the War has a silver lining" John snorted a bit and laid back down on the bed, "I'll try to sleep again, thanks Sherlock".

Sherlock got up and made his way to the door and paused, his feet getting cold from the parquet floor.

"Silver lining. Yes. Indeed. Goodnight John" Sherlock closed his flatmates door quietly, to not disturb him.

[I <3 HEARING FROM YOU]
Have you ever had something like that happen to you when you think how different your life would be if you hadn't done a specific thing?
- I think about how if I didn't have English my freshman year with my best friend then I probably would have never become really close with her and that seems weird to me now because like she's my best friend.

(A/N: Anyone watch Stranger Things? I literally love it and I just finished Season One like all y'all need to watch it)