Case Book: #2

The Adventure of the Disappearing Road

"Sherlock, listen to this" John spoke, "We got a new e-mail. I think it's interesting".

Mr. Holmes  & Dr. Watson,

Hello my name is Alex Hicks and I live in Avington, which is a good sized town in south-western England. Over the past couple of weeks, we have had six cars disappear off of the road. This road is a highway that runs near our town and it's straight. The six cars disappeared and we haven't seen them since. I saw two of them crash and another person in town saw two more, and another person saw two more. The three of us (Katherine, Jack and I), decided to go look for the cars after the fourth crash but there was nothing there. We thought that when they rounded around the hill (the road is straight but only curves one time because of a hill that arises in its way). Mr. Holmes, we think it's so weird that six cars have completely disappeared. Help us out please.

Alex Hicks
27 Liecaster Road, Avington, England
(079) 1493 5468

"What do you think, Sherlock?" John inquired.

"Easy"

"Easy?"

"Of course. Didn't even have to leave the flat for it" Sherlock chimed, a grin spreading on his face. He was evidently happy as he was smiling widely, his eyes open, and he was giggling.

"Brilliant actually. Quite brilliant on their part" Sherlock beamed, checking his phone.

He hummed a tune of something that he had been composing for the past couple of days, it was a happy song, a song filled with emotion and overflowing with satisfaction.

"Yup. I was right. My dear Watson, would you like to have a go at the Adventure of the Disappearing Road?" Sherlock added.

"Uh okay. I... I'll try I guess" John stared down at the e-mail, "this man is obviously older, as he speaks in a fairly old fashioned style and makes sure that there are no grammatical errors. He's unmarried because he mentioned us together in the beginning but he only mentioned himself at the end. There's definitely something fishy here but I can't put my finger on it. What have you got Sherlock?"

"Alright. Look" Sherlock grabbed a piece of paper and a pencil, "this is the road, and this is the river that runs adjacent to it, and here's the hill, and here's the town. The cars are driving, six cars, back to back, and they drive off of the road because of the thick fog. You may ask, but how do the disappear? Well, here. It's a very rare natural event but I guess it actually happened here. The ground beneath the river opened up and caused the fog and after the card drove into it, the water just closed the hole back up, like nothing had ever happened".

Sherlock jabbed the pencil at the sight behind the turn, where the river was.

"Isn't that a little far fetched?" John asked.

"As I've said before: when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth" Sherlock said, matter of factly.

"Well, that's solved then. I'll send the email if you want or you can?" John inquired.

"You know how I talk, just type out a response" Sherlock waved his hand at John.

[I <3 HEARING FROM YOU]
There's another one of the casebook entries. Do you guys have anything you want me to write about? We're going on 110 parts, so as you may imagine, I'm running a little low on ideas (though I've still got some, so don't count on this book ending any time soon).

-UL