Alaska

Individual Chapter

A/N: All book rights of Looking For Alaska go to John Green.

An awful quiet enveloped 221B. The only sound one could hear was the persistent ticking of the clock on the east wall of the apartment. John was deep in a book (occasionally glancing at his roommate) and Sherlock was deep in his mind palace (also occasionally glancing at his roommate). It wasn't that the two were fighting, they just didn't know what to say to the other person. Ever since they both acknowledged the 'elephant in the room', John and Sherlock didn't speak a word to each other. They now both knew what the elephant in the room was but neither could muster up the courage to talk about it to the other man.

Sherlock was afraid that John would reject his feelings and Sherlock would be humiliated. John was also afraid of rejection, but on top of that he couldn't bear the thought of loosing Sherlock... again.

John glanced up at Sherlock who was laying down on the couch, facing the wall. His blue, silk bathrobe followed the curve of his body and fell down the side of the couch at his ankles. His unruly curls seemed to be laid out perfectly on his head, creating a maze of hair that John wanted to run his fingers through. John turned away and returned to his book.

"How do you get out of this labyrinth of suffering?" was the phrase that John's eyes landed on when he looked down on the open page of Looking for Alaska. He couldn't help but chuckle, breaking the palpable silence and snapping Sherlock out of his thoughts.

Sherlock, eyes wide open now, tried to figure out what John was laughing at. Was it something he had remembered? Was it something he had read? Was it something in this whole situation? Sherlock could always figure out John Watson, but right now, the task was impossible. Sherlock decided to be the brave one in the equation.

"What are you reading?" he asked, his voice hoarse from being unused.

"Looking for Alaska by John Green" John said, calm and collected as he flipped the book around to show Sherlock the cover.

"How is it?"

"Quite good"

"What is it about?"

"Read and find out. Spoilers"

"I want you to tell me"

"Why?"

"I miss your voice"

[I <3 HEARING FROM YOU]
Do you think that I'm portraying Sherlock as too sweet?
-I actually think he would say stuff like that in the security of 221B. Not outside though, because he couldn't risk people hearing and selling them out, which would in turn affect both of their careers and their ability to work.