Lights Out

A/N: I'm so sorry for being gone for such a long time. I was sick and had no inspiration to write, and I didn't want to put out bad chapters. However, we're back in the game!

Individual Chapter

"Sherlock?" John tiptoed up the stairs, his left hand lightly touching the rough wall. His eyes were adjusting to the dark. He reached the top of the stairs and pushed the door to the apartment open. 

The curtains were drawn to shield the inhabitants of the flat from the intrusive light of the vehicles that were buzzing about outside. The TV was off, and one could hear a pin drop if they listened carefully.

All the lights were off, which made John's anxiety levels jump up a little bit, he hated the darkness. Always brought him back to the dangerous fields of Afghanistan and the nights during which he would have horrid nightmares about his friends dying. 

He shook the thought away and flicked the light switch. Nothing happened. He flicked it down and up again, but nothing happened. 

"Great, the power is out" he whispered to himself, "Sherlock?".

He yelled out into the flat but got nothing in return. No wonder the whole block seemed so dark when John was walking home, the power must have gone out while he was at work.

Maybe it was one of Sherlock's experiments.

He silently cursed himself for thinking like that about Sherlock and jumping to conclusions but didn't put the thought behind him.

His eyes had adjusted a little bit, and he couldn't even use the flashlight on his phone because it was dead. 

He moved slowly and gingerly towards the couch, which he could see despite the pitch black darkness that surrounded him.

However, he didn't make it to the couch and ended up on the floor because he had tripped over something.

No, not something. Someone.

"Sherlock?" John whispered, after rolling off the man who he had landed on.

"It's not that dark" Sherlock sat up.

"It's really dark for me, you're just used to it because you never sleep and spend half your life in the dark" John chuckled.

He could see that Sherlock cracked a small smile from his joke, but it was soon gone. Sherlock stood up and shook the dust off of his suit and then extended his hands to John, who was still on the floor.

John took Sherlock's hands and pulled himself up, but before he could step away to go sit down, he was pulled into Sherlock's arms. He didn't say anything, just found himself smiling into Sherlock's chest and wrapping his arms around the taller man's torso. 

"How was work?" Sherlock asked, his voice low and relaxed.

"Tiring. What were you doing on the floor?" John asked.

"Thinking" 

"About?"

"You"

"I'm flattered" John grinned, "I thought you were going to say a case".

"Solved one three hours ago. Obvious" Sherlock scoffed.

They stood in the middle of the living room, their arms around each other and feeling like they didn't need electricity and light when they were around each other because they were each other's lights. 

Suddenly, just as John was about to deliver a quick peck to Sherlock's lips, the lights came on.

"Way to ruin the moment" John giggled, digging his head into Sherlock's chest. 

Sherlock laughed and pulled away from the hug, placing a quick kiss on John's forehead. 

"Tea? Now that the power is back on?" Sherlock peaked out from the kitchen.

[I <3 HEARING FROM YOU]
What's something cool that happened to you in the past week I was gone?
- I got to teach for a period of my philosophy class and that was really fun. I also started packing for Washington D.C. which I am absolutely pumped about!!