Tradition: 4

Multi-Part Chapter: Part 4

Sherlock Holmes got up just in time to say his goodbyes when his parents were leaving. John had gotten up before, made them tea and eggs, and now was shaking their hands and saying 'until next time'.

After they left, Sherlock wiped the smile off of his face and sat down on his chair. He placed his fingers under his chin in his average Sherlock Holmes fashion, and closed his eyes.

"Right. What's on your mind Sherlock? You haven't been yourself since last night. Did your parents say something to you?" John set down his cup of tea on the table, and came and sat across from Sherlock, who's eyes were still closed.

"Sherlock?" John asked, his voice more urgent.

"Am I missing something, John?" Said Sherlock, after a few minutes of silence. His eyes opened wide and made eye contact with John.

"What are you on about Sherlock? Missing what?"

"My mother said that I'm missing the elephant in the room. I don't understand. I hate not understanding" Sherlock groaned and threw his head back.

John squirmed in his chair and adjusted his position. He was obviously uncomfortable, and obviously knew what Sherlock's mother meant.

"So you know, then? What is it?" Sherlock noticed John's abrupt movements and commented on them.

"Um.. listen Sherlock. I think she's right. You're a very smart man. You are. But sometimes you miss the very obvious parts" John said, looking at his hands.

"I'm.. still not following. What am I missing?" Sherlock sat up, more intrigued and eager to learn what was wrong.

"Sherlock... I can't tell you, you kind of have to find out yourself. You have to deal with it and accept it. I can't tell you. I'm sorry" John looked at his flat mate and gave him a shy smile.

"At least give me a hint. I haven't slept the whole night because of her statement.." Sherlock pleaded.

"All I can say is that it has been staring you right in the face for about six and half years now" John said, getting up from his chair, retrieving his cup, and retiring to his bedroom.

Sherlock blinked eight times. This was more intriguing than any case he has taken up in the last three months. He was baffled. Was he really dancing around something and not noticing the 'elephant in the room'. Was he really so oblivious to the thing that had been around him for almost seven years. Was he oblivious to a person? Was he unaware of the danger that was coming? Was he missing the obvio....

John.

The realization hit Sherlock like a postal bag filled with bricks.

He jumped up from his chair. Wide awake. His heart racing, his pulse ricocheting in his brain, his eyes wide. It was nearing midnight now, he had spent too long in his mind palace.

Creeping to the bedroom, Sherlock was completely unaware of what he was going to do next.

He pushed open the door, only to see John, who had fallen asleep while reading a book. Sherlock took the book off of John's chest, that was steadily rising and falling (a sign that Dr. Watson was soundly asleep) and placed it on the bedside table.

Sleeping pills. Can't sleep. Something bothering him. Might be me.

Water. Untouched. Dry swallowed the pills. Wanted to get it over with.

Hadn't set an alarm. No work the next day.

Sherlock sat down on the bed, next to John, after making all the necessary deductions.

He brushed a loose hair off of John's face and behind his ear, careful to not wake him up.

Sherlock smiled. It was a genuine smile. However, it quickly faded when he realized that John might not be happy in this situation.

At a cross roads between waking John up and pouring his heart out to him (now that Sherlock had discovered that he actually had one), or leaving the room to play violin until the sun rose up the next morning.

Unfortunately, Sherlock chose the latter, and hurriedly left the room, closing the door softly, so John wouldn't wake up.

[I <3 HEARING FROM YOU]
How was that?
-I quite liked writing that :D