Crime: 2

Multi-Part Chapter: Part 2

"So who is it? Please tell me I'm wrong" said John, his eyes closed because he didn't want to look at the body that was inartistically sprawled out on the ground.

"Unfortunately, you're not wrong" Sherlock said while positioning himself between John and the body of a woman.

John inhaled sharply, "Why. The hell. Would someone kill her?", he asked chocking back a sob but his voice broke in the middle of the sentence.

"To get to you"

"Well they did a bloody good job then" John exclaimed, holding the bridge of his nose in between his pointer finger and thumb, and then he ran out of the courtyard. Sherlock sighed and gave the woman on the ground one last final look. She looked just as Sherlock had remembered her: short blond hair (slightly curled), red puffy jacket, and a pair of dark wash mom jeans.

Mary.

Lestrade walked up to Sherlock, coffee cup in his left hand and car keys in his right.

"You knew, didn't you?" he asked.

"That's why I sent John to talk to you and not to go with me. I needed time to examine the body. Obviously" Sherlock replied.

"It's him once again isn't it?"

"Moriarty, yes", Sherlock inhaled, "there's marks on her neck from asphyxiation, she was strangled with her own scarf, then dumped here by one of Moriarty's men. Take her to the morgue and run a full analysis. I want the files"

Lestrade nodded and left to find Donovan.

"I'm sorry Mary" were the words Sherlock said before he left.

Seconds after he turned his head around and whispered, "I'll protect him", and then left, turning his coat collar up against the morning wind.

John was sitting at a bench, facing the river, in a military stance, when Sherlock sat down next to him.

"I'm sorry about Mary"

"She was an internationally dangerous killer, it was bound to happen sometime. I guess I'm just tired of losing people" Dr. Watson replied, staring out at a passing ferry. He wiped the tears that gathered on his cheeks, but they just kept coming.

John's short fingers found Sherlock's longer ones and grabbed them, while John himself leaned on Sherlock's shoulder and cried his broken heart out. Sherlock laced his fingers with John's and let him cry for as long as he needed to.

A/N: MERRY CHRISTMAS BABES (or Christmas Eve) I LOVE YOU ALL THANK YOU FOR READING <3

[I <3 HEARING FROM YOU]
I thought I would clear something up. John and Mary have split up by the point when this chapter takes place, so he wasn't cheating on her or anything, but they were still great friends.
If you would like me to elaborate, or have any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

-LP