New Beginnings

Individual Chapter

Sherlock and John decided to spend the upcoming New Year's Eve and New Year's Day at home. For the past seven years that they had lived together, there was always some sort of case or last minute request for help from Lestrade. This year, they decided to tell Lestrade to not bother them this New Year's Eve, so they could just enjoy time together (this holiday was also the first they would spend together as... more than friends... or whatever they are now), and relax for once in their life.

"Okay, so, what does your family usually do? What are you used to doing on New Year's?" John asked his flatmate, who was sitting across from him in his respective armchair.

"It's not very fun actually, Mycroft and I usually complain while Mummy makes food, and my Dad will fall asleep in his chair. Then we would all have champagne and 'welcome' the New Year, whatever that means. It was really mellow and I never enjoyed it much" Sherlock said, picking at the nicotine patch that was attached to his arm.

"My family did kind of the same thing, but we invited the extended family too, so it was always really loud. And we watched movies and played board games until late. Don't worry though, I'll make this fun for you. You deserve it" John said, getting up and patting Sherlock on the shoulder, then heading into the kitchen, where a rather large turkey was cooking in the oven.

Time: 6:35pm

"HE COULD NOT HAVE DONE IT SHERLOCK, THATS THE POINT OF THE GAME" John yelled over Sherlock's deductions. Sherlock kept trying to ensure John that the victim was the one at fault in the game of Cluedo, "I knew it was a bad idea to show you this game".

Sherlock finished his deductions and John waited patiently until he was done, then got up to check on the turkey. He figured it was ready and took it out of the oven and set it down on the table to cool.

Time: 9:05pm

John finished his last piece of turkey and joined Sherlock next to the window, where he was playing a song on his violin that was cheery and happy.

"How was the turkey?" he asked.

"Splendid, John, thank you for cooking it" Sherlock smiled.

"Of course, I want to make this special for you" John smiled back.

Sherlock looked at the shorter man for a couple of seconds and then resumed playing the violin. John went to the coat rack and fetched his and Sherlock's coats.

"Come on Sherlock, we're going out" John said, extending the arm that was clutching Sherlock's coat. Sherlock took the jacket from John and slipped in on effortlessly, then took out the scarf from the pocket and tied it around...

Around John's neck. Then Sherlock left the flat with the words "It's cold outside".

John stood there dumbfounded for a couple seconds, then smiled, breathing in the scent of Sherlock that was embedded in the blue scarf. John took off down the stairs in an effort to catch up with Sherlock, who was already halfway down the street (to be fair though, he did stop halfway).

"Let's go to the park, it'll be nice" John said, a little out of breath.

"Yes. Let's" Sherlock said, typing something on his phone in a hurry.

"Is that Lestrade?" John asked, starting to walk again.

"Yes"

"I hope he's not asking for help on a case"

"No"

"Alright, good talk" John sighed, sometimes Sherlock was a very difficult person to have a conversation with.

They ended up doing a couple circles in the park nearby the flat, and when their lips turned blue, and their teeth were chattering, they decided to go back home.

Time: 10:20pm

"That was fun" Sherlock said, a little giddy, John in tow.

"Yes" John said, passing Sherlock on the staircase, because he had stopped at the top of it.

John walked into the room, only to find a piano next to where Sherlock usually plays violin. John flipped his head around to face Sherlock.

"Sherlock, what's this?" John grinned.

"Happy New Year, John" Sherlock proceeded into the room and grabbed for his violin, "Now we can play together".

John ran his hand across the keys and settled down on the stool.

Sherlock didn't expect that John already knew piano, and quite well too.

He played the piece on piano that Sherlock had been playing on his violin and then Sherlock joined in with the violin. They played for hours, until it was nearly 11:40pm.

Sherlock poured the champagne for them and they stood on the rooftop so they could hear the distant tolling of Big Ben.

When it was midnight, Sherlock kissed John's cheek.

"Happy New Year" he said, smiling down at John as he placed his arm around him.

[I <3 HEARING FROM YOU]
Happy New Year babes! Well, Happy New Year to most people, not me yet though.
Anyways, I hope 2017 is much better than 2016, this year really sucked. But instead of dwelling on the bad, I want to talk about the good.
*I got to visit London, Paris & Venice
*I got to step foot into Hogwarts, which has been my childhood for a very long time and it felt so surreal.
*I got an actual wand, and got to feel like a Wizard.
*Acquired a Time Turner, which brings me one step closer to actually being Hermione.
*I went to Universal Studios Hollywood
*I bought tickets to Hamilton
*I planned a trip to Washington DC
*I started my senior year (eek)
*I applied to colleges & figured out who I am going to be in the future (as much as I can).
*I was able to feel more independent than I ever have before
*I overcame some personal challenges & confusions.
*I continued writing (and improved it).
*And many, many more.

Thanks 2016, and see you never again.

Love you guys & I look forward to another year with you <3