Case Book: #4

The Case of the Twin Dilemma

"Sherlock, John", Mrs. Hudson came barreling up the stairs, "Greg was at the door, he says you should come with him and that it's really important"

"Send him up" Sherlock said, looking at the ceiling. John put down the almanac that he was reading and stood up to join Sherlock (he was forced to sit on the arm of the couch because Sherlock wouldn't share the sofa).

"Sherlock, there's been a murder" Lestrade said, as soon as he stepped into the room.

"Wow, Scotland Yard is getting rather bad if you can't even solve a murder without my help anymore" Holmes scoffed.

"No, listen. Today morning at the Metro Bank on Southampton Row, a man of about 35 came in with a gun. It was exactly 8:30. Meanwhile, at exactly 8:30, a woman got murdered at Hyde Park" Lestrade took a sip of water from the glass that Mrs. Hudson gave to him, "Here's the catch though. It was the same man. The same man in two locations at once, committing a crime"

Sherlock sat up in a second.

"The same person?" Sherlock glanced at Lestrade, who just nodded furiously at Sherlock.

"Twins?" John said.

"No. It's never twins. We've been over this, during the Abominable Bride. It's never twins" Sherlock stared at the floor.

"What else can it be, Sherlock? That 'case' was in your mind palace, not an actual case. Even if it isn't I would really like to hear your options" John crossed his arms.

"Leave me" Sherlock waved his arm at John, Lestrade, and Mrs. Hudson.

"What?" Lestrade almost chocked on the water he was drinking.

"Leave. Me" Sherlock said again, making eye contact with Greg.

The three filed out of the flat, John grabbing his coat on the way out, and silently cursing his flatmate.

"Well, I'll go to the morgue and help Molly out, maybe get some insight on the case, I guess. Text me if anything comes up" John told Greg after Mrs. Hudson had gone into her flat.

They parted ways and John trudged through the rain, his coat collar turned up.

~~~~~~~~~

"Hey Molly" John told the timid woman when he walked into the lab, shaking his coat out, water streaming from it on to the lab floor.

"Hey John" her face lit up as she saw a person who was alive (mortician humor) walk into the room, "What brings you here?"

"I've come to look at the body of the man from today? The one who was shot in the bank as he was attempting to rob it?" John spoke, hanging his coat up on the coat rack by the door.

"Oh! Yeah, come with me, he's in the next room" Molly wiped her hands on a towel that was already covered in dried up blood and fixed a hair that had loosed itself out of her braid while she was working.

"Here he is" she said, once she rolled him out.

John stared at Molly, "Are you sure?" he asked.

She nodded her head, "Ruined his life, the poor man".

"I know him. He was one of my mates back in grade school, until he turned careless. He has a twin. That's it, it's actually a twin this time" John exclaimed, running to the door, leaving Molly behind.

"Good luck" she waved, sadly, but John was already out of the room.

Molly sighed and went to get some tea for herself before returning to work.

~~~~~~~

"Sherlock!" John burst through the door of 221B, just to find Sherlock in the same place that he had left him. Sherlock shushed him but John didn't care. He was right and Sherlock was wrong.

"It's twins Sherlock. Twins! I went to school with them. George and Jonathan Dodd, they used to be fine blokes until they stopped caring about their lives after their mother died. It was twins Holmes, it was actually twins" John boasted, happy about his discovery.

Sherlock stood up from the floor and stood in front of John.

"I apologize, I was wrong. I'll make the tea" Sherlock said, walking into the kitchen, "also since when do you call me Holmes?"

"I don't know. It seemed fitting to the subject" John giggled, "Oh, I am definitely writing this one up. The one time Sherlock Holmes was wrong"

"Don't exaggerate. I was only mistaken, and that's because it's never twins. Except this time" Sherlock peeked out from the kitchen, stirring sugar into one of the teas.

[I <3 HEARING FROM YOU]
What are your plans for the night of the 31st to the 1st?
-I'm going to watch some movies with my parents and say goodbye to the old year, because omg bye I'm so done with you.

-UL