Biscuits

Multi-Part Chapter: Part 2 

"Alright, Sherlock, let's figure this out" John cracked his knuckles and settled down in his armchair. 

"Do you think he's back?" John said again.

"I'm not ruling it out, as I said before. If I made it off that rooftop alive, so could he. He might have planned ahead of time too, because why else would he have a gun in his pocket and a plan in his mind" Sherlock said, putting his Czardas violin gingerly back into its case and settling down in his respective armchair, across from his flatmate. 

"Let's consider all possibilities" Sherlock clasped his hands together under his chin, "If he really is alive, which I'm starting to think is the answer, then why is he back now, after he's been gone for such a long time? Why would he come for you, and not me? There's a lot of questions concerning him right now and I want them answered quickly, without putting either of us in danger, I don't want a repeat of what happened four and a half years ago".

"That's reasonable. Also, wouldn't people know what he looks like? How could he just walk into the hospital and not get recognized?" John said.

"You're right, he might have just hired a nurse in the hospital to put the things on your desk before you got to work or after you came back from your lunch break" Sherlock mumbled, typing something on his phone.

"Why don't we call him?" he said, popping up from his armchair and going back to stand next to the window.

"Call him?" John tenses up, also getting up from his seat to go stand next to Sherlock, "Don't get any ideas".

"I've always got ideas"

"I meant bad ones"

"They're always bad"

"Okay, you know what I mean, just don't do anything stupid" John sighed, watching as Sherlock extracted a paper from in between two books on the shelf and dialed the number that was written on the paper in blue ink.

He held the phone up to his ear and whispered to John, "From the hospital the first time we met him", shaking the little sliver of paper that was smooshed between his thumb and pointer finger. 

The men waited patiently as they listened to the phone ring... ring.... ring.... ring.... ring...

"Hello?" a chilling voice said on the other end of the phone.

Sherlock's eyes met John's, a little unsure of what to do next, "Hello".

John shook his head in disbelief, "Ask them for their name?"

"Is this Sarah?" Sherlock said.

"Oh, Sherlock, you well know that I'm not Sarah," the voice said and then gave a laugh that sent shivers down John's spine. 

"Moriarty" Sherlock straightened up a little bit, moving from one foot to the other. 

"Hi, Sherlock. Guess you're not the only one who made it off that rooftop, ha?" John could practically hear the smirk on the other side.

"Guess not" Sherlock's voice sounded cold and callous as he talked to Moriarty, his eyes still glued to John's.

"So tell me" Sherlock paused, "Jim... Why are you leaving these cookies for John? And now the knife?"

"You know how I said that I would burn the heart out of you?" Moriarty said on the other end, "He's your heart, Sherlock".

Sherlock's throat tightened and he swallowed, seemingly shaken up by that statement. He felt a lump forming in his throat and felt his hands become a little shaky too. Meanwhile, John never averted his eyes from Sherlock's, even though he was just as scared now.

"The game was never over, Sherlock. The game has just begun, and it's going to be one hell of a ride" Jim said before hanging up the phone, leaving Sherlock and John speechless.

"Well..." John said, making a popping sound with his mouth, "That solves one problem, he's definitely back. That makes one problem, though, what's his next move?"

"As long as you're with me, you're safe" Sherlock reassured, looking out the window, his phone clutched in his left hand.

"The curtain rises, we are ready to begin. Get ready, John, there's an East Wind coming" Sherlock trembled. 

[I <3 HEARING FROM YOU]
What was the last book you read/reading right now?
-I'm reading Jane Eyre right now, as part of school curriculum.