[AU] To Catch A Thief (part 2)

A/N: The last part of the story is here! In the first part, we met Richard, who was invited by the police for an investigation in Townsville's jewelry heist.

He narrated the story from the time he and his wife, Nicomaine, met up until the last day he saw her.

Who do you think the thief is? Read on and find out!

Happy reading!

______________________

"And things remained quiet until my wife left the city and you 'invited' me here for a quick chit chat!" Richard cried out in exasperation at Inspector Taylor. "Now, will you please tell me why 'she' selected me and 'who' is it that selected me?"

Inspector Taylor leaned back on her chair and looked at him thoughtfully. "Are you certain you don't know who I am referring to?"

"With all due respect, Inspector," the last word was said with a sneer, "would I be asking you if I already knew?"

"Alright," the inspector said as she stood up. "I'd rather show you than tell you. Shall we go now?"

"Go where?"

"Why to your home, of course, Mr. Faulkerson!"

*****

"Mr. Faulkerson, feel free to accompany us as we search your home. I have a feeling we'll immediately find what we are looking for."

"Of course, I will go with you! Lord knows what kind of evidence you might plant against my wife and I," Richard huffed.

"Where is the Master's bedroom and the room of Nicomaine's nanny?" Inspector Taylor asked.

"Here," and Richard led the way to the room. The policemen immediately went to work and within 10 minutes...

"Inspector, can we have a word with you?" one of the policemen asked. "Yes, officer?" she asked as soon as she entered the nanny's quarters.

"We found what we were looking for. Almost all of the missing items are here, save for Mrs. Faulkerson's locket," the policemen stated.

"My God! I-- I've let a snake come into our lives! But how could she have done this? Lucia was always at home every time we went out!" Richard exclaimed as he sat down on the floor, aghast at what they have discovered.

"I have an idea how this happened, Mr. Faulkerson. But to prove it, I'll need your help. Are you up to it?"

"Of course -- just to finally resolve this mystery once and for all!"

*****

The party was in full swing and everyone was having a great time. The Faulkersons and Theo were making small talk with members of the town council when he noticed Inspector Taylor, dressed up as a waitress carrying hors d'oeuvres while observing the guests. When Nicomaine excused herself to go to the powder room, the detective handed him an appetizer with a note at the bottom with 3 words written on it.

"5 minutes. Library. Alone."

After 5 minutes, he went to the library and was pulled into the room even before he knocked. Inside, the room was set up with several monitors that sweeps the entire place, except the bath and powder rooms.

"What are we doing here and why do you have these set up? Did you already see Lucia?" Richard asked.

"All will be revealed in time. Just a few more... aha! Watch closely," Inspector Taylor stated.

As Max stared at the screen, he tried to look for Lucia but instead found... "Nicomaine!" He turned to the detective and demanded, "What is the meaning of this?"