4. "Hero"

Sherlock sat staring at a paper with eighteen Chinese symbols on them. He went on explaining it was a message.

"They won't leave. Not without finding what they came for. We need to find a hideout - a rendezvous. Somewhere in this message - it must tell us. Will you go with me?" Sherlock asked me.

"Of course," I said. I walked and stood over Sherlock's shoulder as he sat at his table in the middle of the living room. "Oh, each pair of numbers is a word," I said. Sherlock turned to look at me.

"How did you know?"

"Two words are already transferred Sherlock," I said pointing to the paper.

"How did you do that?" Sherlock asked, and I looked at him in confusion.

"The paper... has... words on it?" I asked unsure of how he wanted me to answer that ridiculous question.

"She already started it for us before she got killed." Sherlock sighed reading the words "nine" and "mills."

"Someone died?" I asked in shock.

"Nine mill... Nine million quid?" Sherlock muttered to himself ignoring my question completely. He stood up abruptly and grabbed his coat again.

"Sherlock we just got home-,"

"The Restoration Office – John and I must have been staring at it."

"At what, Sherlock?" I asked.

"The book, Liz - the book. The key to cracking the cipher! Soo Lin used it to do this. Whilst John and I were running round the galleries she started to translate the code. That book is in her office!" Sherlock said and sprinted out the door leaving me standing in the middle of the flat.

After about a half hour, the buzzer went off, and I walked downstairs to see who was there. It was a man in a black sweatshirt.

"Hello, what's-," I was cut off when a cloth covered my face. I struggled, but eventually everything went black.

Sherlock's POV

"Liz, I've got it. They key to the cipher. The book. It's the London A to Z; that's what they're using... 'Nine mill for a jade pin. Dragon den black tramway'." I announced running back into the flat. I only made it right outside the door when I ran into a couple with the A to Z book. It was obvious, a book everyone has!

I stood in the doorway, Liz was gone and on the windows were two Chinese numbers spray painted in yellow. A death cipher.

Liz's POV

"A book is like a magic garden, carried in your pocket." I heard the voice of the Chinese woman from the circus. I blinked my eyes to see I woke up tied to a chair in what looked to be a dark alleyway. I looked beside me to see John, looking about as confused as me. "Chinese proverb, Mr. Holmes." She added. Mr. Holmes?

"I'm not actually... I'm not Sherlock Holmes." John mumbled still trying to think straight; it's clear on his face.

"Forgive me if I do not take your word for it." She smiled at him. Creepily. She yanked John's wallet out of his pocket and began going through it. "Debit card. Name of S. Holmes." She said.

"Ah. That's not actually mine. He leant that to me..." John said. I remember Sherlock lending him that when his card got declined.

"And a check for five thousand pounds. Made out in the name of Mr. Sherlock Holmes." She added. I can't explain that one.

"He asked me to look after that for him..." he said clearly realizing how bad this looks.

"Yes. OK. I realize how this looks, but honestly, I'm not..."