67. "I Wear the Damn Hat."

I sat in the little cafeteria eating when I saw John rush in.

"John?!" I asked quickly, running after him.

"Something's happening, we need to see Sherlock." He said. We ran upstairs, an officer following behind us as John knocked the door open with a fire extinguisher. Inside the room Culverton stood over Sherlock. I watched Sherlock gasp for air as I ran into the room.

"Mr Holmes! You okay?" the officer asked. 

"What were you doing to him?!" John yelled. "What were you doing?!" John continued taking Culverton in a headlock. 

"He's in distress! I-I'm helping him!" Culverton tried. 

"Restrain him, now. Do it." John said pushing Culverton over to the cop. 

"I was trying to help him!"

"Sherlock, what was he doing to you?" I asked quickly. 

"Suffocating me, overdosing me." Sherlock said. 

"On what?" John asked.

"Saline." Sherlock replied and I looked up at John. 

"Saline?" John asked confused. 

"Yeah, saline." Sherlock nodded. 

"What d'you mean, saline?"

"Well obviously I got Nurse Cornish to switch the bags. She's a big fan, you know? Loves my blog."

"You're okay?" John asked. 

"No-no, of course I'm not okay. Malnourished, double kidney failure, and frankly I've been off my tits for weeks. What kind of a doctor are you? I got my confession, though, didn't I?" Sherlock said resting back down. I hugged him and he wrapped his arms around me. 

"Huh! I don't recall making any confession." Culverton said walking toward us.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa." John said stopping him. 

"What would I be confessing to?" 

"You can listen to it later." Sherlock stated running his hands up and down my back. 

"But there is no confession to listen to! Oh, Mr. Holmes. I-I don't know if this is relevant, but we found three potential recording devices in the pockets of your coat. Um, all your possessions were searched. Sorry."

"Must be something comforting about the number three. People always give up after three." Sherlock said.

"What? What is it? What?" John asked. Sherlock sat there quiet when John spoke, shaking his head, 

"You cock."

"Yeah." Sherlock said and I smiled at him.

"Utter, utter cock."

"Heard you the first time." Sherlock said admiring the side of my face as I watched John hold up his walking stick. 

"So how-how does it open?" John asked. 

"Screw the top." Sherlock answered then pressed a kiss to my cheek. 

"Two weeks ago?"

"Three." 

"I'm that predictable?" John asked. 

"No." Sherlock smiled. "I'm just a cock." He said. I smiled at Sherlock and he pressed another kiss to my lips. 

*********************************

"I had, of course, several other backup plans. Trouble is, I couldn't remember what they were. And, of course, I hadn't really anticipated that I'd hallucinated meeting his daughter. Still a bit troubled by the daughter. Did seem very real, and she gave me information I couldn't have acquired elsewhere."

"But she wasn't ever here?" John asked Sherlock. I stood in the kitchen and listened to them talk as I cleaned out the "drug den". "Interesting, isn't it? I have theorized before that if one could attenuate to every available data stream in the world simultaneously, it would be possible to anticipate and deduce almost anything."
"Hm. So you dreamed up a magic woman who told you things you didn't know.""Perhaps the drugs opened certain doors in my mind. I'm intrigued." 
"Oh, I know you are..." John began. "Which is why we're all taking it in turns to keep you off the sweeties." 
"I thought we were just hanging out." Sherlock smiled. I peeked out and he eyed me for a brief moment. 
"Well, Liz's turn..." John began. "Uh, sorry, it's just, um, you know, Rosie.""Yes, of course, Rosie." Sherlock nodded. 
"No problem."
"I should, uh, come and see her soon." Sherlock said and I smiled to myself. 
"Yes." John stated. 
"Oh, by the way, the recordings will probably be inadmissible." Sherlock said.

"Sorry, what?" John asked.
"Well, technically, it's entrapment so it might get thrown out as evidence. Not that that matters; apparently he can't stop confessing." Sherlock said.
"That's good."
"Yeah." Sherlock said looking around the room. "Are you okay?" I heard Sherlock ask.
"Uh, what, am I... no, no, I'm not okay. I'm never gonna be okay... but we'll just have to accept that. It is what it is; and what it is is... shit. You didn't kill Mary. Mary died saving your life. It was her choice. No-one made her do it. No-one could ever make her do anything... but the point is: you did not kill her." John said.
"In saving my life, she conferred a value on it. It is a currency I do not know how to spend.
"It is what it is. Uh, I'm tomorrow, six 'til ten. I'll see you then." John said.
"Looking forward to it." Sherlock answered and stood up.
"Yeah." John responded and left.
"Look at you," I said to Sherlock as he entered the kitchen.

"What about me?" he asked standing in front of me as I leaned myself against the counter.

"You look older, you should shave." I smirked, then pulled him into my arms. "Happy Birthday." I said. He pulled back quickly and eyed me,

"How'd you-,"

"Mycroft." I smiled.

"Birthday?" I heard John's voice as Sherlock backed away from me. "Sorry, I forgot my wallet. Did I just hear birthday?" John asked.

"Yes indeed."

"We have to get cake, the three of us." John said.

"Cake?" Sherlock asked.

"Well, it's your birthday. Cake is obligatory." John said as Sherlock walked out to the living room to get his coat.
"Oh, well. Suppose a sugar high's some sort of substitute." Sherlock said and I smiled at him.
"Behave." John warned.

"Right then. Youknow... Oh, um..." Sherlock paused for a minute and walked to a little cabinet.
"What?What is it? What's wrong?" John asked asSherlock pulled out his deerstalker. John and I giggled.
"Seriously?!"John asked.
"I'm Sherlock Holmes. I wear the damn hat."Sherlock said. I smiled as Sherlock kicked the little cabinet shut and walkedover to me taking my hand.
"Isn'tthat right, Mary?" Sherlock said and I peeked at John to see him looking aroundthe room, only to see nobody.

_______________________________________________________________

Okay, onto the next one! Comment and Vote! :)